Spontaneity and DVC ownership

Instagramhusband

Earning My Ears
In the midst on closing on 255 points on two contracts with the same use year. My plan has been to buy more points this year(doesn't have to be same use year) from at least one or two resorts. I feel like I don't have a clear idea of how many points I really need. My wife is in Orlando at either Universal or WDW, 4-5 weekends a year at present and She and I and our son go together 1-2 times a year. The trips I go on are more of the spontaneous variety. I know that doesn't work well with DVC in terms of availability or use of points. The planned trips to Disney are easy, my wife is a planner and works 12 months out on all of her trips. My son's sports schedule and my work schedule make it so most of the time we are making our plan 2-3 months out max.

What point level would you say I need to accommodate this frequency and also some terrible usage of points at times?
Secondly, Is it really smart to pay a higher dollar per point at Poly/VGF(my fav DVC resorts) when at least 1/3 of our family trips would be booked in a short window?
Other than Saratoga, what resort has the best point per dollar/availability combo.

OKW has some good options as well and tons of room/space. I cant speak for as many points as you would need, as I think that would depend on what room types you prefer. A good place to start could be to look at point charts based on room types to get an idea of what would work? That's how we started out, but I'll tell you, addonitis is real as real, so no matter what you do, you will probably keep adding on...

Given you are open to resale and focused on value, I would look at the "most economical resort" report from www.dvcresalemarket.com

Their most recent report actually had Copper Creek listed first, followed by Bay Lake Tower. GF and SSR are also listed in the top 5. (So is Riviera, but that isn't good for last minute booked stays.)

I'd map out how many points you need assuming you'll mostly end up at OKW or SSR if they are booked last minute. Given the length of contract and lower dues, CCV and BLT would be good ones to look at.

Just book ahead what you think you may use at 11 or 7 months, then just cancel at least 31 days out if you think you won't make it and change it to something else. And try to make sure you are still in the first 8 months of your use year so you can bank after cancelling/modifying if needed. Even if it only works half the time it will save you from some of the 2-3 month scrambles.

In the process of closing? As in you have made a deposit and are past the point of 10-day refund?

What resort did you buy into?

I would buy all of your points intended for short notice trips at Saratoga Springs if you’re buying resale, or either Old Key West (if buying 200+) or Riviera (if not) if you’re buying direct, as home resort priority within 7 months is non existent and points are more or less exactly the same.

You will need enough points to typically stay in 1 bedrooms if booking within 4 months.

You will nearly always stay at Saratoga Springs or Old Key West on trips planned within 4 months.

At SSR It’s a bit of a crapshoot whether standard or preferred will sell out first there so make sure you have enough points for preferred.

From approximately 9/15 to 1/15 you will likely not find a WDW room for a full week within 120 days. There’s windows in there where you can back that up to 180 days.

Buy your points for your planned trips wherever you want to stay the most.

I would suggest for the planned trips take the time of year you go the most often and buy enough points for that trip plus 10%.

For the spontaneous one, buy a little less than you suspect you might need and fill it in with points from your other contract if need be. Just make sure they’re the same use year.

We find that most of our vacations booked at 60 to 90 days out are at Saratoga. If you have a chance to work the 11-month booking deadline that buy where you want to stay, regardless of cost, so one contract at SSR and one at ??

What's the appeal of DVC for the spontaneous trips?

You're not talking about ADR window advantages of staying on site.

Your son with a sports schedule is most likely much older than the need to be on the monorail for the afternoon nap.

Why not consider non Disney owned?
The swan/dolphin are great.
The Hyatt grand Cypress is a great deal on points, and has nice pools, restaurants, and a bus to the TTC and Universal.

If points from HH and VB are cheaper - and you are not going for 11mo priority (last minute trips) would getting those and booking 1BR rather than studios be a more viable option?

If points from HH and VB are cheaper - and you are not going for 11mo priority (last minute trips) would getting those and booking 1BR rather than studios be a more viable option?
Though the up front costs for HH and VB are indeed lower, the dues are quite high and the overall cost of ownership for those resorts will likely exceed any WDW resorts within a few years.

In the process of closing? As in you have made a deposit and are past the point of 10-day refund?

What resort did you buy into?
So in one of the contracts (115 pts) SSR, we have signed our closing docs and are waiting for the seller to sign. The other(140) also SSR same use month, we are waiting for it to clear ROFR with Dis, it will be 4 weeks tomorrow.

I live in Charleston, the insurance, which is heavily influencing the fees at HH and VB, make them not appealing. I am in the insurance business and there is not an end in sight to how high the rates are going here.

Secondly, Is it really smart to pay a higher dollar per point at Poly/VGF(my fav DVC resorts) when at least 1/3 of our family trips would be booked in a short window?
SSR resale is a good buy IMO. But, I also think buying Poly/VGF may be smart, even if a person doesn't stay there often, because:
  • Dues are low there - this is financially more important than low cost per point
  • They should have good resale value, should you ever need/want to sell
FWIW - Almost all our stays are booked at the 7 month window combining points. Even for the home resorts I have frequented the most (SSR and BLT). I've never stayed at VGF yet, and have only stayed 4 days so far at BRV. But I don't feel like buying VGF was a waste, even if I don't stay there often, for the above reasons.

I would buy all of your points intended for short notice trips at Saratoga Springs if you’re buying resale, or either Old Key West (if buying 200+) or Riviera (if not) if you’re buying direct, as home resort priority within 7 months is non existent and points are more or less exactly the same.

You will need enough points to typically stay in 1 bedrooms if booking within 4 months.

You will nearly always stay at Saratoga Springs or Old Key West on trips planned within 4 months.

At SSR It’s a bit of a crapshoot whether standard or preferred will sell out first there so make sure you have enough points for preferred.

From approximately 9/15 to 1/15 you will likely not find a WDW room for a full week within 120 days. There’s windows in there where you can back that up to 180 days.

Buy your points for your planned trips wherever you want to stay the most.

I would suggest for the planned trips take the time of year you go the most often and buy enough points for that trip plus 10%.

For the spontaneous one, buy a little less than you suspect you might need and fill it in with points from your other contract if need be. Just make sure they’re the same use year.
Love SSR, so I honestly bought there because I enjoy staying there and I thought that the points go far there.

Good info on the date range you gave me....The most I would want during those four months would be a 2-3 day period. My longer vacay periods are Feb-early March but I love going in October/Nov/Dec.

SSR resale is a good buy IMO. But, I also think buying Poly/VGF may be smart, even if a person doesn't stay there often, because:
  • Dues are low there - this is financially more important than low cost per point
  • They should have good resale value, should you ever need/want to sell
FWIW - Almost all our stays are booked at the 7 month window combining points. Even for the home resorts I have frequented the most (SSR and BLT). I've never stayed at VGF yet, and have only stayed 4 days so far at BRV. But I don't feel like buying VGF was a waste, even if I don't stay there often, for the above reasons.
I am considering the two you have mentioned because I think the resale aspect is something that appeals to me. We have had 8 years of spending lots of money on hotels/Airbnb's in the Orlando that confirm buying these points is smart but I know there may come a time that its not feasible for us and to know that those should be in demand given its MGK location.

I am considering the two you have mentioned because I think the resale aspect is something that appeals to me. We have had 8 years of spending lots of money on hotels/Airbnb's in the Orlando that confirm buying these points is smart but I know there may come a time that its not feasible for us and to know that those should be in demand given its MGK location.
Love SSR, so I honestly bought there because I enjoy staying there and I thought that the points go far there.
I agree, and there is nothing wrong with buying VGF/Poly for the potential resale value, and spending the points at SSR. We stay there a lot as well because we like it and the points can be stretched further there.

I would consider 2042 OKW points. That gives you 17-18 years to increased points and allows you to get out sooner if it isn't working like you need it too.

In the midst on closing on 255 points on two contracts with the same use year. My plan has been to buy more points this year(doesn't have to be same use year) from at least one or two resorts. I feel like I don't have a clear idea of how many points I really need. My wife is in Orlando at either Universal or WDW, 4-5 weekends a year at present and She and I and our son go together 1-2 times a year. The trips I go on are more of the spontaneous variety. I know that doesn't work well with DVC in terms of availability or use of points. The planned trips to Disney are easy, my wife is a planner and works 12 months out on all of her trips. My son's sports schedule and my work schedule make it so most of the time we are making our plan 2-3 months out max.

What point level would you say I need to accommodate this frequency and also some terrible usage of points at times?
Other than Saratoga, what resort has the best point per dollar/availability combo.
We have found that you are better able to be "spontaneous" with DVC bookings if targeting a one bedroom and above. Lots of folks at the lower amount of points who will maximize stays in studious. Sounds like you might not be in that camp. With more points you can target 1 bedrooms (or if willing even more points for two bedrooms). If you have the financial desire and ability to go this route, you'll find a much wider booking window than the typical 11 and 7 month windows.

And if buying resale as of late there tends to be some good value at Bay Lake Tower these days for a property along the Seven Seas Lagoon. But as others have commented, if its points your after then no need to limit yourself to the Magic Kingdom area.

Good luck!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter