Spring Break at Aulani, April 10-15, 2016 Trip Report (in progress)

*tapsfootimpatiently*

:wave2:

:wave:

i live in fear of your butt-kicking, @bcwife76 ! i was all set on starting tonight until i cruised over to the DCL forum and read about that family who got left behind for their EBTA trip because their DCL-booked flight arrived too late this past sunday. i'm on page 2 now and there are 8 pages...

i live in fear of your butt-kicking, @bcwife76 ! i was all set on starting tonight until i cruised over to the DCL forum and read about that family who got left behind for their EBTA trip because their DCL-booked flight arrived too late this past sunday. i'm on page 2 now and there are 8 pages...

hey i see you were commenting there too! are you done packing for maui? :)

Mwahahahahaha :cool2:

And yes I've been reading that thread too. They are a cautionary tale (through no fault of their own, really!!) Here's hoping there's a BIG update tomorrow from the Disney Magic with them ON IT!

hey i see you were commenting there too! are you done packing for maui? :)

Hey hey, quit distracting me.....you're trying to get me to forget that you haven't updated yet :scratchin :laughing:

And no I haven't done any packing yet......

lol i always think my TRs are too long-winded and has too many details that nobody other than me cares about, but i am super glad you found the little tidbits useful! :) :) :)
I like tidbits too!! :)

And yes I've been reading that thread too. They are a cautionary tale (through no fault of their own, really!!) Here's hoping there's a BIG update tomorrow from the Disney Magic with them ON IT!

yay they made it to boston!!! i think they will get on tomorrow. i hope she'll update us when they come back. DCL better treat them to palo every night and bend over backwards to sprinkle pixie dust and then some. sheez.

Hey hey, quit distracting me.....you're trying to get me to forget that you haven't updated yet :scratchin :laughing:

And no I haven't done any packing yet......

do you leave tomorrow? no, correct? then you still got lots of time to procrastinate. ;)

I agree, DCL needs to spread some major pixie dust around. First and foremost would be to reimburse them asap for the nights of the cruise they have missed, but they need to do more than that I think (in my not so humble opinion!)

No we don't fly out til Sunday night....I've got days more of procrastinating ahead of me :rotfl2:

Aulani Day 5, Thursday, April 14, 2016, Part 1

Saddest day ever because this would be our last full day at aulani! Wait, let's make that the second saddest ever because tomorrow would be the saddest ever, since we will be leaving. Wait, let's make today third saddest because the saddest day ever was when we got off the disney wonder last year after our 7-night cruise! Ok, you get the point. ;)

This being our last full day, we got up at 7:15, made cereal for the kids, then made our way downstairs at 8, altogether this time. Found some seats by the infinity pool even though the prime, scenic ones were gone (this was before they instituted the new no-reserving-chairs-before-8-a.m.-with-towels policy the week after we left). There were still plenty, I have to say, though they weren't in the shade. These were taken at 8:02 and 8:03 a.m., right by the towel stand:

Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 10.04.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 10.04.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 10.04.20 PM.png

We did see CMs folding the towels left behind on the unmanned chairs, though.

After we put sunscreen on everyone (I know, I know, we should've done it back in the room but in our excitement we forgot), we took a dip in the infinity pool. It was still relatively empty, and I loved how serene it looked:

DSCF0442.png

O' Aulani, this is the image in my mind whenever I think of you now. :love::love::love:

And here's a peek at the ocean from near the hot tub area:

DSCF0447.png

After half an hour of that lovely place, we decided to do a few more rounds of the lazy river before the rest of the crowd showed up. Can't remember if I mentioned this above, but when you wake up in the morning, hit the slides first, then the lazy river, then the pools, then the beach. Do it in that order and you will be able to avoid most of the crowds.

Here's my wrinkly hand from being in the water for so long ;):

DSCF0194.png

After the lazy river, we went back to the infinity pool.

DS wasn't a strong swimmer, but because of all those hours spent in the pools the past few days, he actually became more confident and got better at changing his breath while swimming. It was a great accomplishment, and I was very proud of him. :) Much credit goes to DH, who worked with him everyday tirelessly!

We basically spent the morning between the lazy river and infinity pool, had snack, then swam some more. At 10:50 I went to Ulu Café to get more of those breakfast potatoes and bacon, plus more hotdogs from Mama's Snack Stop. We had fun watching the pigeons and other random birds that would come by and eye us, hoping they'd get a morsel. Now, I wonder if anyone else noticed that there weren't any seagulls around Aulani. Why is that??? There were plenty of birds, but no seagulls. Very odd. Perhaps they have their own habitat somewhere else? Or maybe they don't exist in Hawaii???

After lunch we swam some more until 12:40. We gave up our seats reluctantly--why? Because it was such a lovely place and I really didn't want to leave! But we had to go because we wanted to get pictures with Mickey and Minnie at 1 at the big lawn, and plus we still wanted to check out the turtles at Paradise Cove.

The line for Mickey and Minnie was the longest we stood in. Took about 10 (or 15?) minutes. But I was entertained by a lady who was in line behind us with her husband. She was a DVC member, and has seven DVC contracts (I think that's what she said?), was wearing matching Disney shirts with her hubby, both huge Disney fans, obviously. She has also been on Disney cruises before. I struck up a conversation with her because I complimented her on the DCL water wallet hanging around her neck.

Need to backtrack a little here (the problem of not writing my TR immediately after getting home is I forgot what I already wrote previously): On our first morning at Aulani, I got a PhotoPass card from a photographer standing by the lazy river. But I was already in the water and had no access to any pockets, so I had to hold it in my hand until I got back to the entrance so I could get out and put it in my beach bag. But wait, what if I want another picture later on? I finally ended up doing what people in the movies do: stuffed it down the front of my swimsuit. I know, I know, it did feel slightly unsanitary, but I honestly had nowhere else convenient to put it. Back in the hotel room, I told a DCL friend about this problem and complained that I wished people at Aulani use lanyards, because that's where I put my KTTW card on the ship. She said, ah, that's why I use a water wallet at Castaway Cay and other beaches! Oh!!! I didn't even know such a thing existed!!! She sent me a picture, which I then happened to see hanging around this DVC lady's neck, so I told her it was awesome, then we started talking.

Anyhow, DVC lady was full of stories, and I was kept entertained while standing in line. Finally it was our turn with Mickey and Minnie. They gave DS and DD super big hugs, took pictures with them, then we got ready to join them, but first M & M had to kiss each other first before they would take another picture with us, LOL!

When we were done, Stitch happened to be standing at the opposite end of the lawn, looking sort of lonely by himself with his one single CM, so DS and DD ran over there. Since there was no one else, Stitch did all sorts of poses with them. First he stood behind DD, then bent to the side and waved, then bent to the other side and waved again, then the monster raaaah pose, then this and other. Then we joined too, then it was just DS. We must've spent five minutes there, but since there was no one in line, the photographer directed us on the poses, and we didn't feel rushed at all.

Photos done, we headed upstairs to change (but why? I don't remember. My notes said we were to meet Donald, Chip and Dale, and Goofy at 2 p.m.)

OK this is all I can squeeze out tonight. More next time! ;)

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, what a picturesque location, I would never want to leave that pool!

7 DVC contracts??? What on earth? lol

7 DVC contracts??? What on earth? lol

yeah, i think that's what she said. or maybe it was seven DVD homes (or whatever the term is)??? i don't know enough about DVC to know what she was talking about. perhaps i should've paid more attention at the DVC presentation on board last summer! :rotfl2:

this lady (as well as a few others we met while at the resort) said she couldn't believe how bad the chair situation was, there were no chairs to be had, blah blah blah. but as you can see from the photos above, there were chairs, even at 8 a.m. now, it's true that they weren't in the best shady spots with a view of the ocean, but i really don't understand why they said there were no chairs whatsoever. :confused3

Loving your TR and your photos! How was the weather while you were there? Did you experience much rain? Was it windy? Was it warm enough at 8am to swim? I saw you mention getting cold a few times while swimming so just curious if that was mostly in the morning. We'll be there late September and just hoping we don't have to wait around a while for it to warm up!

You had Stitch all to yourself!! Now I am super jealous!!!:teeth:

Chair situation is what worries me at a busy resort like Aulani, it's good to know there are chairs available even spring break time!

Water wallet!? Do tell! I am trying to figure out what to do with my room key, credit card, etc while swimming. And the infinity pool view is AMAZING!!!!!! Looking forward to reading more!!

Loving your TR and your photos! How was the weather while you were there? Did you experience much rain? Was it windy? Was it warm enough at 8am to swim? I saw you mention getting cold a few times while swimming so just curious if that was mostly in the morning. We'll be there late September and just hoping we don't have to wait around a while for it to warm up!

not much rain at all! a little light, gentle rain for 5 minutes maybe twice during the entire length of our stay there. nothing drenching if that makes sense. :) it was slightly windy on a few occasions but it was a nice warm wind, nothing too bothersome.

so the reason i recommend going to the lazy river first is that the water temperature is the warmest there (as has been pointed out by a few others). then the pools are a little colder, and the ocean is the coldest. we had no problems going into the lazy river first thing in the morning, but the infinity pool takes a little bit of adjustment but nothing horrible. i think you'll be fine. :)

You had Stitch all to yourself!! Now I am super jealous!!!:teeth:

Chair situation is what worries me at a busy resort like Aulani, it's good to know there are chairs available even spring break time!

yeah, honestly it really wasn't that bad. i was all worried based on what i read here, but *shrug* we didn't have problems. we always managed to find chairs even if we moved our "base" around 10 or 11 by the infinity pool, and 12 or 2 by the beach. now this is before the new chair policy so i don't know if the situation is different now.

Water wallet!? Do tell! I am trying to figure out what to do with my room key, credit card, etc while swimming. And the infinity pool view is AMAZING!!!!!! Looking forward to reading more!!

i googled real quickly but couldn't find the water wallet from DCL, but if you google it you'll find several options on Amazon. i do like the shape of the DCL version, though i haven't used it myself.

i luvvvvvvvv that infinity pool... *dreamy look comes into my eyes*

i ended up buying this one on amazon recently. it's see-through; the DCL version appears to be the same shape and size but is all red or white and not see-through.

i ended up buying this one on amazon recently. it's see-through; the DCL version appears to be the same shape and size but is all red or white and not see-through.
Lol! I have a collection of these from when they used to make them resort specific at WDW. Plus a DVC one and a couple of DCL and Castaway Cay ones too. I take one with me on every beach vacation. You can still get them at WDW, but now they are generic and just say "Walt Disney World Resort" on them. You can even find them on the Disney Parks shopping app - search for "dry box."

Alright now young lady this is just taking WAY to long to complete :teeth: let's go, let's go, I want to hear how it all ended! :flower1:

Alright now young lady this is just taking WAY to long to complete :teeth: let's go, let's go, I want to hear how it all ended! :flower1:

are ya back from maui? how was it? i wanna read that TR so i can procrastinate some more!!! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter