Springtime Surprise Weekend (April 13-16, 2023)

My read on the scheduling is that RD really doesn’t have many options. Wine and Dine is in that sweet spot between Halloween and the holidays, and it just happens to be the same weekend chosen for NYC. The three other weekends have to be spaced out enough so after one is done you immediately move on to prepping for the next. I’d say it’s maybe 7-8 weeks between each of them? And then you have to work around Easter and hotter temperatures for this race weekend. It’s not ideal. The spring race has always been the least popular apparently and you can chalk that up to the theme going back to Star Wars, the weather, or the crowds.

I've booked just the 10 miler, rather than the Challenge. I hope I dont regret it. One of the deciding factors was that the 5k sold out before I got to it, and my kids had wanted (=agreed) to run that with me. Now that they can't, I don't feel like paying the best part of $500 to run the 3 races over much of the same ground. If they change the 5k to AK, I will be regretful, but hey, I am spending enough getting to and staying Florida as it is, so I am going to try not to sweat it.

Edit: I suppose if you had to match the themes to the parks, it would be Cars 5k in DHS, 10k Monster Inc in.... MK?! (can't see that happening), 10 miler Toys in DHS as well, and Epcot if you want to include the Nemo piece. Selfishly, I obviously hope that the routes are pretty much all the same. I get terrible FOMO!

Last edited:
I did the All-Stars resort fun run once in the summer. It was really hot and I briefly got lost at one point near the end, but I really enjoyed it and planned to do more before covid cancelled them. I hope they come back too!
I did the Mardi Gras run at Port Orleans. That ended with a medal and free delicious beignets.
I also did the Old Key West run. That gave a medal and a water bottle. It was my fav water bottle and broke a few months ago. They need to open the run just so I can get another bottle. lol

Trying to figure out where to stay for the weekend. I was planning to do Gran Destino and hope for a discount but if one doesn’t happen then the price is a little outrageous. Almost booked Pop but unsure if I want to do Pop during Spring Break. So the currently plan is to meet in the middle and book Port Orleans and maybe GDT as back up and wait for discounts. And flights? WOOF.

Got my name fixed for my challenge and signed the waver but now noticed my date of birth for both this & the 5k/10k at wine and dine has my birth year changed 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Trying to figure out where to stay for the weekend. I was planning to do Gran Destino and hope for a discount but if one doesn’t happen then the price is a little outrageous. Almost booked Pop but unsure if I want to do Pop during Spring Break. So the currently plan is to meet in the middle and book Port Orleans and maybe GDT as back up and wait for discounts. And flights? WOOF.
I booked swan reserve for this weekend bc I had Marriott points to cover it. I also saw yesterday that dolphin had rooms for $281 that weekend (maybe less with AAA discount).

My plan B was to rent DVC points for a studio somewhere. That was reasonable too and I think there is still decent availability.

actually just booked Pop. Moderates are a bit out of the price range for the trip. Even with me staying off property Wednesday and then transferring to Pop on Thursday after the expo. And it was this or All Stars. And if I’m staying at a value might as well take advantage of the Skyliner to get to Epcot and DHS (I know they won’t be open for getting to the races I just really like being able to use it in general).

Side note if anyone is looking for off property recs. I’ve not stayed there on a race night but I have stayed at the Residence Inn Lake Buena Vista Orlando twice before for park trips. And soon to be a third time since they’re where I’m staying before switching to Pop. And all of my experiences there have been pleasant.

It’s about 20-30ish minutes from property before accounting for race traffic.

actually just booked Pop. Moderates are a bit out of the price range for the trip. Even with me staying off property Wednesday and then transferring to Pop on Thursday after the expo. And it was this or All Stars. And if I’m staying at a value might as well take advantage of the Skyliner to get to Epcot and DHS (I know they won’t be open for getting to the races I just really like being able to use it in general).

Side note if anyone is looking for off property recs. I’ve not stayed there on a race night but I have stayed at the Residence Inn Lake Buena Vista Orlando twice before for park trips. And soon to be a third time since they’re where I’m staying before switching to Pop. And all of my experiences there have been pleasant.

It’s about 20-30ish minutes from property before accounting for race traffic.
I chose Pop because of the Skyliner as well. Last marathon weekend I stayed at CBR and enjoyed it a lot, but trying to keep the runDisney costs down this time. Given the choice between All Stars and Pop it's worth paying a little more for the Skyliner, IMO

I chose Pop because of the Skyliner as well. Last marathon weekend I stayed at CBR and enjoyed it a lot, but trying to keep the runDisney costs down this time. Given the choice between All Stars and Pop it's worth paying a little more for the Skyliner, IMO
DD said go with the cheapest and keep money for the food 😂
For my dates, Pop comes to 50$ more than ASMo per night, that is a lot of snacks 😋
We did Pop in 2020 and really enjoyed it.

I’m registered solo for this race and I’m trying to figure out a good hotel for that purpose. I’m a big swan/dolphin customer bc of Marriott points but they charge so many points these days. I’m wondering if I should rent a DVC studio. I just don’t want to be locked in. Since I’m going on my own for now, unless someone decides to join in (happened for princess), I like to explore resorts that I haven’t stayed at. Would love beach club or boardwalk. I’m not sure if I will do a park this trip, so maybe something like Saratoga would be good for walking around DS at night.

I’m registered solo for this race and I’m trying to figure out a good hotel for that purpose. I’m a big swan/dolphin customer bc of Marriott points but they charge so many points these days. I’m wondering if I should rent a DVC studio. I just don’t want to be locked in. Since I’m going on my own for now, unless someone decides to join in (happened for princess), I like to explore resorts that I haven’t stayed at. Would love beach club or boardwalk. I’m not sure if I will do a park this trip, so maybe something like Saratoga would be good for walking around DS at night.

My DH is also a big wig at Marriott and we have seen good deals on points at the Swan Reserve (because it's new and they want to fill it) and at the JW on Bonnet Creek. We've stayed at both for races and they were convenient. The JW did not have dedicated race transportation iirc, but we had a car and drove ourselves. I think they had a race package with a shuttle, though.

Any advice? I'll be staying in the Bonnet Creek complex and driving.

It's super easy! Go early (we left about the time the first buses picked up at resorts) and know where the road closures are. There are plenty of folks there to guide you in to the right area. You can hang out in your car if you get there super early. Tip: park further away from Epcot so you're closer to your car at the end of the race.

If I was

Yes..... I'm leaning to doing something Pixar each race though not necessarily the IPs 'hosting' the race
Same! I’ve already ordered something for the 10 Miler that is not Toy Story, and have something in mind for the 5K that is not Cars. I should probably try to focus on Princess outfits before Springtime though 😄😄

Same! I’ve already ordered something for the 10 Miler that is not Toy Story, and have something in mind for the 5K that is not Cars. I should probably try to focus on Princess outfits before Springtime though 😄😄
Right now I’m trying to think of ideas where I can maybe reuse a skirt from my closet but also I kind of want to buy red panda ears just in case

Got my name fixed for my challenge and signed the waver but now noticed my date of birth for both this & the 5k/10k at wine and dine has my birth year changed 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
Who did you contact to fix your name? When I registered my son and husband for the 10k I had their names correctly entered, but when I autofilled the address, it changed the name to mine for both. 🙄

Any advice? I'll be staying in the Bonnet Creek complex and driving.
I agree with the "go early"advice. For the 2022 Springtime Surprise, I arrived in the parking lot a little before 3 a.m. Then set the alarm on both my watch and phone and took a nap (a guy parked in front of me did the same). By getting there early you avoid the heavy traffic which alleviates a lot of anxiety.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter