Springtime Surprise Weekend (April 13-16, 2023)

Stupid challenge question.. I know this answer is somewhere but my search skills are failing.

I know there are no balloon ladies for the 5k, but if I'm doing the challenge do I still have to maintain the 16 minute/mile pace? Or do I just have to finish? Really hoping this is my chance to finally take some character photos during a race, but I am not fast (yet). :)
You do not. If you look at the challenge finishers from any other challenges you will see that many do not maintain a 16min/mil pace for the 5K. I know I didn't for Dopey.

Stupid challenge question.. I know this answer is somewhere but my search skills are failing.

I know there are no balloon ladies for the 5k, but if I'm doing the challenge do I still have to maintain the 16 minute/mile pace? Or do I just have to finish? Really hoping this is my chance to finally take some character photos during a race, but I am not fast (yet). :)
Hey disabled athlete here multiple challenge finisher. As long as you cross the finish your good.

you need to do the 16 min mile in terms of keeping ahead of the balloons. But as far as pacing and checking to make sure you kept it beyond just staying in front of the sweep they won’t do anything about it

They can’t really. Because they’re disabled athletes like myself formerly who need the extra time ln the course and start at the back of A. And we usually don’t follow the 16 min/mile because we can’t.

This goes for pretty much any major race with a time cutoff pace wise where they have a disabled field.

Plus, the whole “16 minute pace” thing is for the people starting absolutely last with the balloon ladies. I started the Princess Half in the first wave of B and finished with an average 20 minute pace because of all my picture stops. I averaged 14:27 pace for the time I was actually moving, but I spent 45 minutes in various picture lines.

You don't need to maintain a 16mm pace for any race, just need to cross the finish line. (Though there has even been some question on that lately, at least for all but the final race of a challenge)

Ok, so... second question then. If I was in a character line in a race that has balloon ladies, and I saw them go by, I'd know it was time to hustle or risk being swept.

With the 5k, and no visible marker for the "end" of the race, how will I know when that is? What if I'm in a character line, it's really long, I stay there anyway, and they've closed the finish line by the time I get there? How long does the finish line stay open if there's no pace requirement?

I'm sorry! I'm so new at this and I know these questions have probably been answered a million times!

Ok, so... second question then. If I was in a character line in a race that has balloon ladies, and I saw them go by, I'd know it was time to hustle or risk being swept.

With the 5k, and no visible marker for the "end" of the race, how will I know when that is? What if I'm in a character line, it's really long, I stay there anyway, and they've closed the finish line by the time I get there? How long does the finish line stay open if there's no pace requirement?

I'm sorry! I'm so new at this and I know these questions have probably been answered a million times!
Even in the 5K, they will usher you to the finish line. They will close the character lines and push you forward. I've even heard of them giving people rides in the golf carts to the finish line.

Don't worry, you'll know if you are the last person. I know the first time has a lot of anxiety, but relax, it will all be OK. :)

Don't worry, you'll know if you are the last person. I know the first time has a lot of anxiety, but relax, it will all be OK. :)
Thanks! I just didn't want to screw up my challenge on the first race, because that sounds exactly like something I would do.

It would help if runDisney had this all written down somewhere, but I know they can't officially say "hey, just take your time in the 5k, no big deal!" That would probably be a disaster.

I am very much looking forward to finally getting a character photo during a race, though!

You don't need to maintain a 16mm pace for any race, just need to cross the finish line. (Though there has even been some question on that lately, at least for all but the final race of a challenge)
Again see my comment above. Everyone always thinks they’re going to change things but unless they want a mess at the challenge check with the disabled athletes they can’t.

Everyone always go ‘oh maybe they’ll change it’
But then ignores the disabled athletes like myself when we say we know from multiple experiences with not just Disney that they won’t.

Again see my comment above. Everyone always thinks they’re going to change things but unless they want a mess at the challenge check with the disabled athletes they can’t.

Everyone always go ‘oh maybe they’ll change it’
But then ignores the disabled athletes like myself when we say we know from multiple experiences with not just Disney that they won’t.
Not sure if you quoted the wrong person. I'm not sure what you are trying to say, pretty sure we said the same thing lol

@The Expert posted this last year for Princess when she ran it with her mom about finishing last in the 5k.

To recap the "pace rules" though:
--The 16min/mi pace rule starts when the balloon ladies start. Think of it as racing game like mario kart that shows you the opponent's location on the track up in the corner. You just can't fall behind that "opponent." And if you start in an earlier corral, you might have a TON of cushion before you need to think about that pace. (As an example, my agv pace for the half during MW as a Dopey runner was 17:02, but I still finished 20min ahead of the sweep line because I started around 30min before the balloon ladies.)

--For races that are swept (10k and longer), the bike crews will let you know that you are in danger, will stop at character lines to let people know "the balloon ladies are coming" so runners have the choice to exit the line and run, or take their chances.

--The 5k is untimed/not hard-swept. See the link in the first line

@The Expert posted this last year for Princess when she ran it with her mom about finishing last in the 5k.

To recap the "pace rules" though:
--The 16min/mi pace rule starts when the balloon ladies start. Think of it as racing game like mario kart that shows you the opponent's location on the track up in the corner. You just can't fall behind that "opponent." And if you start in an earlier corral, you might have a TON of cushion before you need to think about that pace. (As an example, my agv pace for the half during MW as a Dopey runner was 17:02, but I still finished 20min ahead of the sweep line because I started around 30min before the balloon ladies.)

--For races that are swept (10k and longer), the bike crews will let you know that you are in danger, will stop at character lines to let people know "the balloon ladies are coming" so runners have the choice to exit the line and run, or take their chances.

--The 5k is untimed/not hard-swept. See the link in the first line
Thank you! That post was exactly what I needed to see, although this also motivates me to not be the very last person because I do not want all that confetti and attention. It's very sweet that they do celebrate those last runners, though. That's one of the things I love about runDisney.

Booked flight, starting to dig into park days. Decision is basically between four days at WDW vs three plus one at Uni but I just checked ticket prices over there and a park hopper is over 200 now. 😵‍💫

How easy is it to get into an earlier corral? I last ran W&D in 2017 so I can't remember how many corrals there are.
Are there many? Is it first come, first served, or how do you get into a "faster" corral? In 2017 I had proof of time, but I don't this time.
I am currently about 12.5/13 minutes a mile, but having travelled so far (Ireland), I want to make sure I squeeze every ounze of "Disney-ness" out of the event, and want to have time to queue for characters without being swept. So really I would need to get into as early a walking corral / slow jog corral as possible, without being disruptive to faster runners, of course.

Edited to add: I just logged into my RunDisney account and I see that I put down a finish time of between 2h1m and 2h15m which isnt far off reality at this stage, given my current training times. I take it that this will have an effect on my corral placement?
And if so, how many corrals are potentially going to be behind me?
Is it possible to move up corrals (without taking the absolute p*$$ of course and moving to the elite corral or something) or are they fairly stringent about ensuring everyone is in the corral as per their bib?

Last edited:
How easy is it to get into an earlier corral? I last ran W&D in 2017 so I can't remember how many corrals there are.
Are there many? Is it first come, first served, or how do you get into a "faster" corral? In 2017 I had proof of time, but I don't this time.
I am currently about 12.5/13 minutes a mile, but having travelled so far (Ireland), I want to make sure I squeeze every ounze of "Disney-ness" out of the event, and want to have time to queue for characters without being swept. So really I would need to get into as early a walking corral / slow jog corral as possible, without being disruptive to faster runners, of course.

Edited to add: I just logged into my RunDisney account and I see that I put down a finish time of between 2h1m and 2h15m which isnt far off reality at this stage, given my current training times. I take it that this will have an effect on my corral placement?
And if so, how many corrals are potentially going to be behind me?
Is it possible to move up corrals (without taking the absolute p*$$ of course and moving to the elite corral or something) or are they fairly stringent about ensuring everyone is in the corral as per their bib?
Assuming the corrals are standard you will have 3-4 for 5K and 10Ks and then 6 for the 10-miler.

You CANNOT move up to an earlier corral you are not assigned too. DO NOT try to do so. runDisney will check bibs and jumping is prohibited.

Your predicted time should theoretically put you in the middle of the pack so corrals C or D. C tends to be the largest corral of the races.

Hmmm, just looking back at photos of me at W and D in 2017 and I see that I was in Corral C for the Half Marathon. I was WAY faster back then! Hope I still get put in C.... I am walking this time. My back and knees are not fans of me running.

Hmmm, just looking back at photos of me at W and D in 2017 and I see that I was in Corral C for the Half Marathon. I was WAY faster back then! Hope I still get put in C.... I am walking this time. My back and knees are not fans of me running.
They did have more corrals back then just as an FYI. They have condensed things a bit since. Looking back it was A-G in 2017. Now most halfs are A-F so one less corral. Given this is a 10-miler they may condense things more. So far all the halfs this season have been A-F but I think last year for the 10-miler there may have only been 4 corrals. I can't remember. This is also assuming they use the same course as 2022.

Sorry, another question from me. We are not visiting any parks this time, but I would like to get some race photos. Is it possible to purchase the race photos? Is it through Memory Maker? I am on the .ie website and it doesn't give me an option to purchase MM separately, only as part of a park tickets package. US residents- do you have that option? To buy the photos? If so I will go on via VPN to buy the MM for the race day! Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter