Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker discussion thread (*** now contains spoilers ***)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But seriously, *** is wrong with pushing strong women characters?

Nothing. Leia is the smartest, the bravest, the most fearless, the most strategic and the most cunning character in the original trilogy.

And I don't think Rey herself is the problem with what has happened in the series. Really liked her in TFA. They should have made her path to gain control of her skills more difficult which would have made everyone care about her journey more. It is harder to buy into to a character that seemingly is becoming the best Jedi ever with none of training or the issues that Anakin and Luke had.

The biggest problem for me is that with TLJ it started to feel like nothing that happened before really mattered. Some of the rumors about Rise would reinforce that if true. Plus, TLJ took a dump on Finn as a character. Hopefully, JJ can find a way to pull off an ending that will make the majority of the older and newer fandoms happy.

While the movie is reported to be very long, I have a tough time seeing it as long enough to accomplish all the things everyone is hoping for.

The logical step is to bring closure to some items and offshoot a million more things to keep the franchise going for decades to come.

All the leaks were right basically (confirmed by trailer) and woooooooooo boy.

Not seeing the excitement anymore for this franchise. I think it will make a "dissapointing" BO figure, and sub 1-billion is unlikely but possible, then heads will roll

While the movie is reported to be very long, I have a tough time seeing it as long enough to accomplish all the things everyone is hoping for.

The logical step is to bring closure to some items and offshoot a million more things to keep the franchise going for decades to come.

Yeah, I don't know how they'll cram all this into one film either. There's a lot going on:
-Rey, Poe, Finn need 'together' screentime. One of the few things I didn't like about TLJ was how little we got
-Lando and daughter(? I haven't read spoilers just know it's been speculated) back into the fold
-Other new characters
-How they use Leia footage and how they kill her off
-Whatever the heck is going on with Threepio
-Knights of Ren (would have thought we'd at least have met some in TLJ)
-And now whatever's going on with Palpatine, Dark Rey, and Kylo

That's a lot to satisfy even if it were a 3hr runtime. I know JJ will try; I just hope it doesn't feel rushed. TFA didn't really breathe enough... I know ANH plot went fast as well but that was a much smaller galaxy and a much thinner cast.

Whoa. Okay.

I think the simplest answer here is don't go see it. :confused3

Speaking as someone who grew up in love with SW BECAUSE it depicted a strong female character who pulled her own weight, I'm getting tired of all the "Oh but they're WOMEN" distractions in these movies. Part of the reason I enjoyed Terminator Dark Fate was because not one one comment was made to be like "Ohhh they're ladies though." The three main characters each had purpose and it was refreshing, at least to me.

I think Rey is a great character and with the exception of two lines that emphasized that she's female (the hand holding bit in TFA and the "bested by a girl" line in TLJ), I think Rey stands on her own as a character. I just hope her arc is completed in a satisfactory way.

The point is, look at them as characters, not "womyn."

I can't seem to find the quoted post here, but he's one of those Fandom Menace trolls and you should heartily ignore anyone associating with that group of clowns. Some people have made hating SW since Disney bought LF into a deranged sport and they're not worth any effort, tbh. That's a sad life they're leading.

I think I saw one comment from JJ saying that he (and team) are working for this to be a satisfying conclusion to the 9 part saga - but that he defintiely won't get to address every single potential question that is out there

So, yeah, tough job to do but if handled properly I think that is enough run time

I think I saw one comment from JJ saying that he (and team) are working for this to be a satisfying conclusion to the 9 part saga - but that he defintiely won't get to address every single potential question that is out there

So, yeah, tough job to do but if handled properly I think that is enough run time

Do you think it would have been easier if they'd made Episode VIII a more cohesive fit into the final trilogy?

Do you think it would have been easier if they'd made Episode VIII a more cohesive fit into the final trilogy?

maybe - but I am not convinced that Episode VIII isn't roughly what they wanted. I think they wanted Episode VII to remind everyone what they love about Star Wars and then Episode VIII to kinda turn it on its head a bit and spin things forward and give the unexpected a bit and be waht the newest generation of fans latches on to (now, maybe JJ wouldn't have executed it the exact same way)

After TFA kicked this off over $2B, I would have bet 9 would have a great chance at $2.5B and maybe even $3B. Maybe it still will but just not feeling it.

Actually expected this to be the highest anticipated movie in history, and maybe it is, but.....

Last edited:
So what time is everyone going to see IX? I couldn't get tickets to our thursday showing when they first released but after I purchased tickets for friday they opened more theaters to show it thursday. I'm guessing I'll need to avoid the internet thursday night as we don't see it until 4:30 on friday, I think.

So what time is everyone going to see IX? I couldn't get tickets to our thursday showing when they first released but after I purchased tickets for friday they opened more theaters to show it thursday. I'm guessing I'll need to avoid the internet thursday night as we don't see it until 4:30 on friday, I think.

My local AMC Theater has it showing around the clock starting Thursday night on a bunch of screens including the new Dolby Digital platform and IMAX. I could have gotten Thurs night tickets but I'm off from work on 12/20. I'm planning the same for avoiding the interwebs on Thurs, getting a good night sleep and then I've got reserved IMAX tix for 9AM Friday morning. I was leaning towards checking out the new Dolby platform as I've heard great things, but I decided to stay with IMAX for this one.

Already told my friends that I'm going with my Dad as Star Wars is a father/son thing for me. The 1st movie I ever remember seeing as a kid in a theater was 'Empire' with my dad when it was originally released. Since then it's been pretty cool that I've been able to go with my Dad for Eps 7, 8, and now 9 so many years later!

Actually expected this to be the highest anticipated movie in history, and maybe it is, but.....

There's a ton of anticipation, but from my POV it's still doesn't have the same buzz as Avengers: Endgame

Already told my friends that I'm going with my Dad as Star Wars is a father/son thing for me. The 1st movie I ever remember seeing as a kid in a theater was 'Empire' with my dad when it was originally released. Since then it's been pretty cool that I've been able to go with my Dad for Eps 7, 8, and now 9 so many years later!
This! My mom and grandma saw Ep IV in 77, 20 years later my mom took me to see the re-releases of the OT as well as the prequels. Now we've experienced this trilogy together. Magic.

I saw A New Hope with my dad in the theater, too (1977)......I love how we all have these emotional bonds with family members and Star Wars movies, regardless of the era. I don't think I could ever hate any of them, because they remind me of my dad and how much he loved them.

My local AMC Theater has it showing around the clock starting Thursday night on a bunch of screens including the new Dolby Digital platform and IMAX. I could have gotten Thurs night tickets but I'm off from work on 12/20. I'm planning the same for avoiding the interwebs on Thurs, getting a good night sleep and then I've got reserved IMAX tix for 9AM Friday morning. I was leaning towards checking out the new Dolby platform as I've heard great things, but I decided to stay with IMAX for this one.

I am going on Saturday so I could get a good seat in the Dolby Digital theater. IMHO the Dolby theater blows away IMAX, but I am an audiophile. Also my local IMAX isn't that great, either.

After TFA kicked this off over $2B, I would have bet 9 would have a great chance at $2.5B and maybe even $3B. Maybe it still will but just not feeling it.

TFA did >$900M North America and >$1B outside it for the >$2B total. The few movies like Avengers Endgame that have done more than that have a much larger figure outside North America. Endgame was <$900M NA, >$1.9B RoW. It did nearly as much outside of NA as TFA did total.

I wouldn’t expect IX to top $2B. The RoW (well... China namely) doesn’t care about SW as much as we do.

I am going on Saturday so I could get a good seat in the Dolby Digital theater. IMHO the Dolby theater blows away IMAX, but I am an audiophile. Also my local IMAX isn't that great, either.

I'm sort of kicking myself for not getting the Dolby reserved seats. I'm like a lot of folks who just think IMAX is still the latest and greatest and was wondering why the newer Dobly theater was a few $$ more a ticket. They upgraded the theater sometime after Endgame, and from what I've heard it's got subwoofers under each seat as well as a ton of the Atmos speakers. My IMAX theater has a pretty decent set-up with leather recliners, but it's not a full size IMAX screen ... the newer Dolby set-up is probably the superior experience.

If Ep 9 is pretty decent, it'll probably be a good opportunity to catch it again and do a theater comparison

We got tickets for 6pm Friday - my son has an after school activity on Thurs so just made that tough - so whole family going together on Friday and got assigned seats right in the middle so should be good

Figure I am manage like 24 hours of avoiding major spoilers (I hope at least)

Star Wars was not a big thing in my house growing up. I had seen the older episodes but nothing special. 1, 2 and 3 I saw in the theater but nothing special with family. The latest 2 plus the one coming up, I have gone/going with my husband and kids. My husband loves them and now my son does. DH makes us watch all the episodes in some strange order. It has been great and a tradition I will miss.

We are going on Saturday at like 9am. I can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter