Starting to regret decision to stay offsite

MiaSRN62 Listen, I've been 100's of times to the parks. I've stayed at all the resorts, when I'm bringing someone or being the "host" of the trip, on our other times we have a regular hotel since 1998 we've been staying offsite. Before that from '89-'98 have stayed at about 75% of the "strip" hotels. Always with our own car. You can come and go as you please, without the schedule of the bus! Do not regret it at all!!!!!!!! When you want to leave, you can leave. You don't have to look at the bus schedule!

Listen ? :confused3

Did u read what I said in my last post cjb71870 ? I'm not sure you did. Besides, there are no bus "schedules" at WDW. I never have to look at bus schedules when I use the disney busses---have you ever used disney busses or boats/ferries ? Because if you haven't, then I'm not sure you can critique both sides of the coin ? The disney busses/boats pretty much run every 10-20 min around the clock.
I guess I just don't get what you're trying to say or why you directed it at me ? I actually tooted the praises for BOTH on and offsite. I actually do BOTH . There are people that like to drive (both on and offsite) as well as those that prefer the disney busses. So it's great you like it your way....but there are many different viewpoints and none of them are wrong.

You are completely right. I started reading your posts towards the end and started to think you were asking the OP. I apologize.:)

Always remember onsite or offsite, you will have a blast its WDW...beautiful Florida...especially in this horrible cold

So with the MK challenges of getting there from off site accommodations - is parking at Epcot and taking the Monorail to TTC and then from TTC to MK quicker for coming and going?

Opinions please?

Our last stay was at the FT cabins and we drove to all parks except MK and much preferred this freedom but MK has me nervous on our upcoming 1st off site trip

I really didn't see a big problem with getting to the MK when we stayed offsite before. As someone else said in this post (I think) it's cool seeing the castle get bigger & bigger as you ride the boat.

My solution is on site in a 1 br DVC. You get to enjoy all the benefits of a villa, laundry, jetted tub, private beds, full kitchen, patio and also being on site and not needing a car. JMO

Well I don't really have the money laying around to join DVC at this time. LOL! We've thought about it but it's just not an option at present time. Maybe when I get that big promotion. HA.

And the rate for even a suite at the value resort about made me crap myself.

Maybe try renting points to stay. Either way it is a decision for you and your family and do what is best for you. We all have opinions and ya know what they say about them....

We stayed offsite and loved it for many of the reasons posted here....plus my kids were getting sick of Disney food...they were happy to have breakfast in our condo and asked many times for just a ham and cheese or pb & j sandwich that we made at the condo and took to the parks.

I never knew about this point renting phenom until I got here. We're already booked for this year but I might do it next time around. :)

I really didn't see a big problem with getting to the MK when we stayed offsite before. As someone else said in this post (I think) it's cool seeing the castle get bigger & bigger as you ride the boat.

And this is fine summer....and people who don't like disney food etc. This is why there are so many options. Here on the Orlando boards---opinions are ALWAYS slanted towards offsite stays. This is fine. I expect it totally, same as opinions are slanted towards onsite on the disney resort boards.
I stay on and offsite on a very regular basis (2-3 times a year). So the whole issue of the MK is one I can say I've experienced first hand and from a more objective viewpoint than someone who only does one or the other. If you don't see a big problem with getting to the MK, that is great. Maybe you've never experienced getting to the MK from the point of being onsite ? I don't know ? But it's definitely shorter to get there because you totally bypass the TTC. The parking lot, tram and monorail or ferry can easily had 30-40 min to the time it is taking you to actually get in the MK gates. I do it both ways all the time. As for the food......my kids have never gotten tired of eating out at disney. They think it's fun to try all the different dining options----but cooking in your own villa is fun for others. I don't like to cook on vacation (even though I do from time to time to save money). But it's not my preference. Mostly we like having a full kitchen for quick breakfast items or midnight snacks. Even though I rarely use the kitchen---gives me security of some sort to know it's there if I want it ;) :rotfl:

Well I don't really have the money laying around to join DVC at this time. LOL! We've thought about it but it's just not an option at present time. Maybe when I get that big promotion. HA.

And summer...I understand this too. Unless you go to WDW a good amount and prefer moderate to deluxe accomodations onsite, you probably won't see the benefit. But we visit 2-3 times a year and prefer onsite. With the rack room prices of disney going up at a good rate, it's like locking into a price with DVC. We started out with payments under $200/month back in 2000 which included the cost and the monthly maintenance fee combined. My OKW contract has been paid off for 2 years now and all I have is a $54/month maintenance fee approx for OKW. But I get to stay in very large 1 and 2 bedroom villas inside disney every year for this. If I want to stretch out and make more stays in wdw every year, I have the option of staying in a studio. The maintenance fees have gone up a little since 2000 when we became Members but not nearly at the rate of disney room prices and hotel prices even offsite. So we are locked into our OKW vacations for a few more decades. For my family, personally, it works. The money we paid for DVC, we were throwing on room rates every year. But everyone knows their own budget and I totally respect that DVC is not for everyone. It's a certain type of vacationer that benefits most from DVC I believe.

So with the MK challenges of getting there from off site accommodations - is parking at Epcot and taking the Monorail to TTC and then from TTC to MK quicker for coming and going?

Opinions please?

Hi Joanne....unless you are planning to hop between Epcot and MK on the same day, I don't see much benefit to what you suggested. The problem is, you are still losing time at the TTC and switching monorails because there is no "direct" monorail from Epcot to MK. You will always have to get off at the TTC.....walk down the path.....then walk up the other one on the opposite side of the track to catch the monorail to MK from Epcot. But if you are planning on hopping, then yes. I would much prefer parking at Epcot and taking monorail when hopping. But if not hopping, it makes no difference. You are stuck having to deal with the TTC (something onsite transportation totally bypasses & this is what save the time).

We have stayed onsite and I honestly do not remember what it was like getting to MK. Truthfully I think when we went to MK that year ('98) we either opted to ride the ferry or the monorail in for the fun of it. My sister (she was like 8 at the time) must have wanted to do it that way. LOL! I do not recall being dropped off out front at all. My family is strange, I tell ya.

Oh and I wasn't "aruging" with you over any of the points. I've been scouring out DVC options here and there. It's just not in our budget this year. I promise I wasn't being smart or sassy about it. Problem is by the time we can "afford" it we'll be too old to enjoy it. LOL!

We haven't been to WDW since '01 but I am pushing my husband to make it at least a biannual trip. Plus we love beaches so the fact that DVC has the Hilton Head place is really making me want to join into one. Do you mind telling me what your maintenance fees run per year? Does it vary based on home resort?

Just thought of another great reason to stay offsite. Internet access. Can't get it at Disney- at least not for free. All of the condo's I"ve looked into come with free access.

I sure wish Disney would include Internet access in their rooms!

I just got back from the world on Sunday. We alternate staying onsite and offsite depending on money. Last year we rented points and stayed at BWV which we loved, but this year we opted to stay off at Orange Lake. I thought that I would totally regret us being offsite after coming off a great trip staying on last year, but I still had a fantastic time at WDW.

There are definitely pros and cons to both; I do think getting to MK when staying offsite is a bit time consuming, but I love the monorail and the ferry rides were so relaxing so even that had its upside at times. And sometimes in the mornings at BWV we would wait a long time for a bus; having a car when staying offsite eliminated that and we got to the parks much faster many days. And getting a break from Disney food, especially at breakfast time before we left for our day, was very nice. I agree with other posters, you will have an awesome time no matter what!

Opinions please?

Our last stay was at the FT cabins and we drove to all parks except MK and much preferred this freedom but MK has me nervous on our upcoming 1st off site trip

when I stayed offsite drove over to the MK and it was awfully.

guess spoiled - the WDW buses arrive at the front of the MK.

have not tried the monrail from Epcot - will on my next offsite trip - in Nov and see if it makes a difference. the only problem some nights the MK might be open later than Epcot. then you have got to park at MK or leave earlier than park closing.

just give yourself an hour maybe 90 minutes - if you get there before then - great - take less time next time.

getting there requires being at the gates of the MK ready to enter.

It is easier the earlier you can go. you can park closer.

We have stayed onsite and I honestly do not remember what it was like getting to MK. Truthfully I think when we went to MK that year ('98) we either opted to ride the ferry or the monorail in for the fun of it. My sister (she was like 8 at the time) must have wanted to do it that way. LOL! I do not recall being dropped off out front at all. My family is strange, I tell ya.
Well summer, you may have ridden the monorail to Epcot from the MK and then maybe hopped back to the MK and took the ferry ? But if you took the disney busses, they totally bypass this step and leave you right off at the front gates to the MK. If you're looking at the MK as you enter, the WDW busses are off to the right past the Guest Services' windows. There's no other way, unless of course you stayed at Poly, Contemp, GF and took the monorail directly from the hotel or the boat from the WL and crossed the lake ?

As for the question about Maintenance fees. This has been posted on the DVC boards. MF's all depend on which resort and how many points you have. So it's different for everyone. I'll post this chart so you can see the differences (so you multiply the number of points you buy, by the amount that is seen under your "home" resort) :

Originally posted by Doc :
Here is the history of DVC annual fees at all of the resorts (the fees noted as VB(sub) are only for early buyers who still have a developer subsidy. That subsidy is not passed along to subsequent buyers of those early contracts):

Year OKW BWV VB VB(sub) HH VWL BCV SSR AKV BLT

2009 4.73 5.21 6.41 4.97 5.36 5.04 5.00 4.34 4.85 3.67
2008 4.56 5.04 6.04 4.71 5.16 4.87 4.80 4.21 4.71
2007 4.40 4.85 5.63 4.39 4.98 4.73 4.63 4.12 4.62
2006 4.24 4.69 5.27 4.12 4.34 4.61 4.48 3.98
2005 3.86 4.41 4.87 3.84 3.86 4.35 4.27 3.83

We haven't been to WDW since '01 but I am pushing my husband to make it at least a biannual trip. Plus we love beaches so the fact that DVC has the Hilton Head place is really making me want to join into one. Do you mind telling me what your maintenance fees run per year? Does it vary based on home resort?

definitely understand - my mother use to love the monrail - so first thing after checking in was take her to the MK or epcot - depending upon where we were staying and ride the silly thing - it took about 2 hours of it for her to admit enough is enough.

now I like the ferry - and will ride it just for fun - but definitely not every trip.

go to WDW about 3 or 4 times each year.

the maintence fee vary with each resort

OKW 4.73
BWV 5.21
VWL 5.04
BCV 5
ssr 4.34
akv 4.85
BLT 3.67

this is the fees per point.

HH is not on the beach - it is on island. VB is on the beach.

Internet access. Can't get it at Disney- at least not for free.

True chicagosusan.....but just to add, DVC Members do get it free and if you rent points from a Member, I believe you would also get the internet free because you are staying under their membership privleges. Just an FYI.

Just thought of another great reason to stay offsite. Internet access. Can't get it at Disney- at least not for free. All of the condo's I"ve looked into come with free access.

I sure wish Disney would include Internet access in their rooms!

the CR has free internet access and even a computer in the room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter