State of Fast Pass Return (or replacement)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with this assessment of potential backlash. What I think the bigger problem they will face is what sort of timeline to set on it. Unless they have a super clear sunset date for free FP then I could see a lot of people booking once FP+ comes back being SUPER angry if between when they booked and when they take their trip Disney decided to charge for it. Right now nobody has it, so while people can certainly complain, nobody can realistically say they were entitled to it. If they bring it back and Mr. Smith sees that and books a trip for January, then he could reasonably say that he doesn't follow Disney news and be sorely disappointed when he shows up with his family and finds out he has to pay for fastpass.
They could bring back the old, ticked system that would give everyone a fair shot day of. Or they could bring back FP+ and make that a replacement for the interim on a week to week basis; give on site guests a one week lead time and off site gets day of. There are many simple solutions that would alleviate the line anxiety and complaining.

They could bring back the old, ticked system that would give everyone a fair shot day of. Or they could bring back FP+ and make that a replacement for the interim on a week to week basis; give on site guests a one week lead time and off site gets day of. There are many simple solutions that would alleviate the line anxiety and complaining.
I absolutely agree they could alleviate the current complaining. But I could also see them being hesitant to do that until they can provide a clear date for when the new system will start. I think it is easier (and by easier, I mean saving themselves a future headache) to say "ok, until X date we will be doing free passes and then it will switch to the new system" than to just bring back the old free system for an indefinite period of time.

I agree with this assessment of potential backlash. What I think the bigger problem they will face is what sort of timeline to set on it. Unless they have a super clear sunset date for free FP then I could see a lot of people booking once FP+ comes back being SUPER angry if between when they booked and when they take their trip Disney decided to charge for it. Right now nobody has it, so while people can certainly complain, nobody can realistically say they were entitled to it. If they bring it back and Mr. Smith sees that and books a trip for January, then he could reasonably say that he doesn't follow Disney news and be sorely disappointed when he shows up with his family and finds out he has to pay for fastpass.

Mr. Smith is responsible for doing his own research and knowing the latest information about his trip. I'm tired of hearing how we should all suffer because people are stupid.

Put an end date on FP+- advertise it as being available for a limited time. Problem solved. If the new system isn't ready, extend it. Just like they did with the opening date. Easy peasy and Mr Smith who doesn't bother to make sure he knows what's going on with things he pays for will still complain.

What I think the bigger problem they will face is what sort of timeline to set on it. Unless they have a super clear sunset date for free FP then I could see a lot of people booking once FP+ comes back being SUPER angry if between when they booked and when they take their trip Disney decided to charge for it.

Available for a limited time- they can even put a date on it, then extend it if they need to. Anyone booking would know if they book after that date, they won't have it. If they extend, then it's a bonus. If they don't, well they already knew.

They're going to have to face the music for their lack of planning and failure to anticipate current conditions. It's just a question of when they want to hear it.

Available for a limited time- they can even put a date on it, then extend it if they need to. Anyone booking would know if they book after that date, they won't have it. If they extend, then it's a bonus. If they don't, well they already knew.

They're going to have to face the music for their lack of planning and anticipation of conditions. It's just a question of when they want to hear it.

Think of how much bookings would increase significantly if they advertised free FP+only for a limited time.

That’s not what he’s saying, I don’t think.

Not speaking for Remy here but I believe it’s more fluid and complex then that. And it seems like the situation has been evolving as testing keeps happening and the technicological impact keeps changing from those evolving circumstances. This causes ripple effects as far as IT goes and decision making abilities go, I would imagine. Remy can probably explain it better but I din’t think this is fiction.

I think Disney had FP+ working and ready to go, but they wanted to keep pushing to see if the paid system could work and be implemented.

I work in IT. the developers always say it will take longer then expected. Leadership always pushes for tighter timeframes and less budget. These situations always happen in IT.

I just expect better from Disney in terms of effective decision making where guests are concerned.
Totally agree with your assessment.

For those that asked “why test FastPass+ if it was up and running daily before the pandemic?”

Well, Disney introduced the Park Pass Reservation System during the pandemic. So now, FastPass+ and/or the new system needs to AT MINIMUM integrate and cooperate with that new system. That is a big change and would require extensive testing.

Based on what Remy has shared, FastPass+ has passed the necessary live system tests. And up until the past few days, the new system had failed the live system tests. That is until today when it passed a test with *some* systems integrated. I would wager that one of those integrated systems was the Park Pass Reservation System. And if so, that is a bit of a game changer because they could push some of the other announcements of pending systems that need to cooperate if they can at a bare minimum get new FastPass and Park Pass Reservations to integrate and cooperate.

My 2 cents.... if you bring back FP+, the easiest transition plan is you are going to need like 70 day lead time on swapping out to new paid system. Once it is ready they can let the scheduled FP to flush out through the system and then make a clean break while preventing users from scheduling new FP past your swap date. Therefore you only put in a stopgap if it is still a way off. If you are within that window, you bite the bullet and go with nothing. That way you don't cancel anyone's FP and can do a clean break of we have 0 Legacy FPs scheduled on day 1 of the new system.

Last edited:
Totally agree with your assessment.

For those that asked “why test FastPass+ if it was up and running daily before the pandemic?”

Well, Disney introduced the Park Pass Reservation System during the pandemic. So now, FastPass+ and/or the new system needs to AT MINIMUM integrate and cooperate with that new system. That is a big change and would require extensive testing.

Based on what Remy has shared, FastPass+ has passed the necessary live system tests. And up until the past few days, the new system had failed the live system tests. That is until today when it passed a test with *some* systems integrated. I would wager that one of those integrated systems was the Park Pass Reservation System. And if so, that is a bit of a game changer because they could push some of the other announcements of pending systems that need to cooperate if they can at a bare minimum get new FastPass and Park Pass Reservations to integrate and cooperate.

And I’m afraid one of the systems the new Fastpass app has not tested successfully with is AP so Disney could just continue to not offer them for even longer if they roll out new Fastpass in the near future.

Had I conversation with my kids (12, 10) today about the possibility of cancelling our trip for early August. When we made our reservations (12 nights at YC) in April, park capacity was at 35%. I knew that capacities would be increased; however. I also believed that FP+ would return if wait times became what they are now. I am certainly not willing to pay 10k for a trip in which my days are consumed by 60 minute waits. Pay for a deluxe resort...receive no perks...be tortured by lengthy lines in hot/humid conditions. I’m not a “chump”, and although my children are sad, and are hoping that FP+ returns, they also understand the reality. We will miss Disney, they won’t miss us.

Had I conversation with my kids (12, 10) today about the possibility of cancelling our trip for early August. When we made our reservations (12 nights at YC) in April, park capacity was at 35%. I knew that capacities would be increased; however. I also believed that FP+ would return if wait times became what they are now. I am certainly not willing to pay 10k for a trip in which my days are consumed by 60 minute waits. Pay for a deluxe resort...receive no perks...be tortured by lengthy lines in hot/humid conditions. I’m not a “chump”, and although my children are sad, and are hoping that FP+ returns, they also understand the reality. We will miss Disney, they won’t miss us.

This is exactly why my grandson is still unaware that we have a trip planned for the end of this month. It's not 100% that we will go and even in the weeks we have had the reservation, things have changed tremendously. After the disappointment he went through when our trip was cancelled 2 days before it was to have started, we do not want him feeling that way again. It took months for him to even stay in the room if the subject of Disney was brought up. So I completely understand the feeling of disappointment that comes with cancelling a long anticipated visits. Been there, done that, too many times.

Please, please take the time to email Disney and tell them your story and your decision. It may not help for this trip, but they need to know what their guests are thinking. I already wrote them and at least they know how this guest feels.

Please, please take the time to email Disney and tell them your story and your decision. It may not help for this trip, but they need to know what their guests are thinking.
What would be the best email address to use? I’m not expecting anything other than a canned response. But it would be nice if I could get my concerns (shared by many) on the radar screen of someone who might actually care, and might actually have some ability to reach the relevant decision makers.

This is exactly why my grandson is still unaware that we have a trip planned for the end of this month. It's not 100% that we will go and even in the weeks we have had the reservation, things have changed tremendously. After the disappointment he went through when our trip was cancelled 2 days before it was to have started, we do not want him feeling that way again. It took months for him to even stay in the room if the subject of Disney was brought up. So I completely understand the feeling of disappointment that comes with cancelling a long anticipated visits. Been there, done that, too many times.

Please, please take the time to email Disney and tell them your story and your decision. It may not help for this trip, but they need to know what their guests are thinking. I already wrote them and at least they know how this guest feels.

We simply aren't in a position to cancel at this point. Plane tickets have been booked and we're all locked in. There is no other time we could possibly go until next summer, and after having to cancel our trip in April 2020, and then pulling the plug on the April 2021 trip as well in favor of an August trip (hoping for no masks, which we basically got - yay), I'm unwilling to pull the rug out yet again because of this FP situation.

However, this will probably end up not being a super park-heavy trip. I'm really sad about that, but the current situation in the parks sounds miserable. And here we were so excited because we splurged for BWV. I guess the benefit there is that rope dropping DHS will be easier. We can get a ride or two done and then leave and get to know the pool slide really well.

What would be the best email address to use? I’m not expecting anything other than a canned response. But it would be nice if I could get my concerns (shared by many) on the radar screen of someone who might actually care, and might actually have some ability to reach the relevant decision makers.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/help/email/ I just chose non-reservation question, but they re-direct your email to the correct department regardless.

I didn't expect anything either, but I still believe they listen and when they get an overwhelming number of guests saying the same thing, they listen closer. You should get a canned response within a few days and then sometimes you get an actual call back or a more personalized response.

Since we already lost 85 points last year due to Covid, we don't want to cancel again this year. I guess y husband and I will spend a lot of time drinking around the Epcot!

For what it’s worth. Been at Disney all week and haven’t needed fast pass at all… and I was the biggest worrier before coming and begging for fast pass. Been great. Yeah a few rides were about 45-50 mins waits but lines kept moving. The MAJOR rides. Some lines were less than 25 mins. Barely stand stills. The lines look huge outside but move. The lines app was better at wait times. Take about 15 mins off all waits posted by Disney. Only ride long so far was flight of passage, 89 min wait but moved the whole time

Very surprised and having a great time.

For what it’s worth. Been at Disney all week and haven’t needed fast pass at all… and I was the biggest worrier before coming and begging for fast pass. Been great. Yeah a few rides were about 45-50 mins waits but lines kept moving. The MAJOR rides. Some lines were less than 25 mins. Barely stand stills. The lines look huge outside but move. The lines app was better at wait times. Take about 15 mins off all waits posted by Disney. Only ride long so far was flight of passage, 89 min wait but moved the whole time

Your post is giving me hope!

Isn't 90 minutes, 90 minutes whether you're moving or not? Glad you're having a great time, but your experience is the first I've read that described waits as anything close to pleasant in the last week or so. Enjoy the rest of your trip .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter