State of Fast Pass Return (or replacement)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said every Disney guest feels the way I do. I was and am a huge fan and have been for decades. The fact that I have issues with them right now doesn't change that. Glad you are still completely happy with what they're doing. I never said anything about their brand, btw. I have no doubt they'll come out of all this just fine.
This clearly came off my critical than I intended… my apologies.

I just really tire of the opinion that the brand and its success are at risks by these choices.

They don’t owe us anything regardless of how things ‘used to be’ - and they’re a helluva lot more savvy than many on this board acknowledge.

Agreed. Everyone knows who needs to be the guy in charge and that's Josh. I firmly believe he is the future, but that future needs to happen soon. Chapek was expected to be that experience who could get them through and be the conduit to get to Josh. My opinion is he is failing. MISERABLY
Straw man.

The problem is this false narrative is supported by what actual data point?

Yes. There has always been a standalone program on the old platform and new that handles recovery passes, DAS, and Club benefits. It is not reliant on anything else for it to work. But FP+ was reliant on some other programs and on the new one, just had to be integrated with the reservations. So it wasn't hard to do because it doesn't need to rely on other programs. It was never destroyed or overwritten. It has always been an option. Just not the one management seems to want. And they keep shoving the IT department all over the place because of their indecisiveness.
All Disney has to do is integrate billing into the standalone program or Have CM with credit card scanners and MB scanners walk around and sell FPs. Train the CMs who work the food carts. I will take 2 waters, a popcorn and 2 ToT passes.

Simple temporary solution.

I suppose I could be misusing it if there is a significant number of people on this board that actually believe the Disney executive management team are bumbling 3 Stooges idiots and that Disney is going to crash and burn.

Per Excelsior Online writing lab - "A straw man fallacy occurs when someone takes another person’s argument or point, distorts it or exaggerates it in some kind of extreme way, and then attacks the extreme distortion, as if that is really the claim the first person is making."

I made a statement regarding the current atmosphere at Disney among upper management, as my friend who works there is in such a position and has related to me as such. Remy agreed and mentioned how Josh would be a better CEO and how they think that Chapek is failing at his job.

How is any of this a straw man fallacy?

I just really tire of the opinion that the brand and its success are at risks by these choices.

They don’t owe us anything regardless of how things ‘used to be’ - and they’re a helluva lot more savvy than many on this board acknowledge.

If you're tired of the opinion, imagine how tired some of us are of it being true. I have not always felt this way. There's a whole group of people on these boards who loved to called me a Disney apologist, claimed I was blinded by pixie dust. But even the most faithful eventually get tired of the crap.

And they do owe us something. They are a business that has promoted and played on their reputation of customer service and excellence that is heads above any other competitor. We give them our money, they owe us what they advertise.

Look at them now- They had over a year to get their plans in place, to be ready for a re-opening and they can't even get a ride system in place. Their rides are constantly breaking down, their premier resorts have bags of garbage laying in the hallways because they can't even get the freaking trash taken out. Read that again- they are not capable of emptying trash cans on a regular basis. And where we're staying and paying over $450 a night? This is what it looks like. My local trailer park looks nicer.
So if you think you're tired, you have no idea what tired is.....

Last edited:

Hey Disney I have a very simple solution to this issue. Stop increasing capacity until you have enough attractions and dinning places and cast members available to serve all of the guest and expand park hours so as not to cram everyone into limited hours. You just keep jamming people into the parks without caring about the guest experience. They say the higher ups are worried about all the people complaining about wait times but they just keep increasing the number of park passes available. It is all about the short term income and not about the future.

I suppose I could be misusing it if there is a significant number of people on this board that actually believe the Disney executive management team are bumbling 3 Stooges idiots and that Disney is going to crash and burn.
Your hyperbole is amusing. I don't see anyone calling management inept; quite the contrary. Management know exactly what they are doing. They are making pennywise and pound foolish decisions that are absolutely hurting the reputation of Disney Parks division. I have been a DVC member for 21 years, and visited each of the two years prior to purchase at OKW (one of those being my honeymoon). What we "bought" was an ideal; customer service above all else. For the early years of our ownership we felt special every time we came. Cast members have always been wonderful, but over the years we have seen the decline of the ideal in each decision that was made. The dining plan used to be a great value...then they removed the appetizer and tip, jacked up the prices, and have continued to inflate the cost of food to justify any sliver of "savings". Next came the "death by optioning" of tickets. Remember when park hopping and no expiration was just included? I do. The lists go on.

Will Chapek increase profits? Probably. But at what cost? The ideal is nowhere in sight anymore.

I wonder if they are starting to see an uptick in people using the DAS pass. It’s such a good service I really hope people who don’t need it try to take advantage of it since they can’t get fast passes.

From my limited perspective, there is definitely a line of people waiting to buy DVC. I have been on a waitlist for my last 2 direct add-ons, and on this last one (about a month ago), the ONLY resorts with availability for my UY were Riviera and Animal Kingdom (granted, the wait list didn't take too long, but still..).
I
View attachment 587830
12:30 at Epcot (I'm in central time, so add an hour to the time on my screenshot) on a Thursday with no festival running. 75 minutes for Soarin'? This is not a happy situation.

Do they have all 3 theaters open? Part of this had been happening because they havent been running full capacity on rides due to staffing.

I wonder if they are starting to see an uptick in people using the DAS pass. It’s such a good service I really hope people who don’t need it try to take advantage of it since they can’t get fast passes.
DAS is a separate system and those using it aren’t “line skipping”. They ARE in line just not physically. So it doesn’t increase the standby wait. It’s no different than a guest stepping into the line after seeing a 30 min wait, DAS simply waits 30 mins elsewhere but they aren’t at an advantage the same way someone using a FastPass is.

What I’m saying is that even if more people use it, it doesn’t offer an advantage in the way FastPass+ does. You can only hold one DAS attraction at a time and the individual must be present for the party to ride. I don’t see how more people using it would have a significant impact. And I am NOT advocating for more people using it. But Disney designed it in such a way that it can’t be taken advantage of as easily as their previous solutions for guests with disabilities.

DAS is a separate system and those using it aren’t “line skipping”. They ARE in line just not physically. So it doesn’t increase the standby wait. It’s no different than a guest stepping into the line after seeing a 30 min wait, DAS simply waits 30 mins elsewhere but they aren’t at an advantage the same way someone using a FastPass is.

What I’m saying is that even if more people use it, it doesn’t offer an advantage in the way FastPass+ does. You can only hold one DAS attraction at a time and the individual must be present for the party to ride. I don’t see how more people using it would have a significant impact. And I am NOT advocating for more people using it. But Disney designed it in such a way that it can’t be taken advantage of as easily as their previous solutions for guests with disabilities.
I completely agree with you, and I think the system is really great. But I think some people may see it as a way to take advantage. For example the wait at FOP is an hour. They can use the pass for it and go ride Navi River or something and then when they are done they can go ride FOP. So in that hour they are doing 2 rides instead of one.

I would assume many more people would be using it (appropriately) as they may hate preferred using fastpasses in the past but would have absolutely qualified had they not preferred the fastpass route.

I completely agree with you, and I think the system is really great. But I think some people may see it as a way to take advantage. For example the wait at FOP is an hour. They can use the pass for it and go ride Navi River or something and then when they are done they can go ride FOP. So in that hour they are doing 2 rides instead of one.
True. But with the current wait times, they’d be hard pressed to really double and triple up while holding a DAS attraction pass. Even Navi is pulling longer than 60 min waits. So they might get 2 rides done in the wait time for one, but it’s hard to really abuse in the current environment.

I was given a fast pass from guest services the other day for an issue I was having. It was quite amazing to literally watch her scan my magic band, click my name and guests, watch the calendar come right up like it does in the app, pick the park, pick the ride I chose for anytime that day, and then done.

I was thinking in my head “ man does this women realize the power she has in her hands right now to brighten people’s day in an instant “

I need a person like that as my connection at Disney:duck:

I would assume many more people would be using it (appropriately) as they may hate preferred using fastpasses in the past but would have absolutely qualified had they not preferred the fastpass route.
:teacher: That would be me. I've always been able to deal with my issue by using Fastpasses or just finding short lines. I may have to try the DAS route if Fastpass doesn't come back in time.

I just booked a Portofino Bay stay for November. I am looking forward to it, I just do not want to put up with the hassle of lines with no passes, lack of entertainment, many of my favorite Dining experiences still gone, and Disney's "staffing" issues.
My sister's family, also big WDW fans, went to Universal summer 2019. Stayed at Royal Pacific. They loved it and paid less than a WDW deluxe resort. Hope you have a great time.

Many will argue Disney has every right to raise prices and generate revenue wherever they can. I fully agree. However, with time I believe it will prove to be a poor business decision. For me the Disney bubble has lost its value and I can't justify the added costs. We can get a better experience at less cost just down the road at Universal. We will be back to WDW, but it will be a day or two out of our Universal vacation.

This exactly. There have been 2 trips we made where we could've used DAS but didn't because FP solved our issues. If we had to pay to get that accomodation, we definitely would've used DAS and appropriately so. But yes, I can see where there would be an uptick in abuse. Having to wait for an hour or two for your return time shopping or eating or just relaxing on a bench certainly beats standing in the heat in a standby line. I'm betting there's an uptick in abuse right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter