Staying Off-Property, Visiting Resorts Questions

We have yet to be turned away from GF, POLY, WL, AKL or BW and this included our last visit in March of 2023, where we drove to GF and told the guard we wanted to shop and have a snack. The guard asked if we were staying onsite and we told him yes, then he wanted to scan my MB, he scanned it and waved us on. CR will definitely not let you just visit and we have never tried BC/YC.
It will depend on the time of year, time of day and the guard, and I don't know - the position of the sun, the transiting of Venus or something. We've had friends who had trouble getting in to see us or pick us up at WL, GF, BC and YC. A couple of times, they were coming to have dinner with us, and they weren't on the reservation, but the guard was apparently able to look us up and confirm. Other times, they've just been coming to pick us up, and they were able to convince the guard that we were booked there and they were just coming and going. But in January, they were able to park at AKL to see us without issue.

We told another friend who recently visited in November that he might not be able to drive his car to the resorts and to park at the TTC and take the monorail. It was raining, so they decided to try GF but were turned away even though they said that they wanted to get snacks and shop and look around. While he was pulling out of the parking area, his wife checked the Disney app and found an opening at Kona Cafe, so they were able to park at the Poly, have lunch, walk around and shop, take the monorail over to GF and CR, snack and shop there, then head back to the Poly and their car. The next day, they went to DS, had lunch and then took bus transportation out to the BW area rather than trying to drive there, which was probably a good idea. He says next time, he'll book an ADR in advance for resorts he wants to visit or just go to DS and use the buses, as that worked out well for them.

It will depend on the time of year, time of day and the guard, and I don't know - the position of the sun, the transiting of Venus or something. We've had friends who had trouble getting in to see us or pick us up at WL, GF, BC and YC. A couple of times, they were coming to have dinner with us, and they weren't on the reservation, but the guard was apparently able to look us up and confirm. Other times, they've just been coming to pick us up, and they were able to convince the guard that we were booked there and they were just coming and going. But in January, they were able to park at AKL to see us without issue.

We told another friend who recently visited in November that he might not be able to drive his car to the resorts and to park at the TTC and take the monorail. It was raining, so they decided to try GF but were turned away even though they said that they wanted to get snacks and shop and look around. While he was pulling out of the parking area, his wife checked the Disney app and found an opening at Kona Cafe, so they were able to park at the Poly, have lunch, walk around and shop, take the monorail over to GF and CR, snack and shop there, then head back to the Poly and their car. The next day, they went to DS, had lunch and then took bus transportation out to the BW area rather than trying to drive there, which was probably a good idea. He says next time, he'll book an ADR in advance for resorts he wants to visit or just go to DS and use the buses, as that worked out well for them.
I just realized I posted my comments in the wrong thread. LOL Someone else who was staying at POP had the exact same question and that was where I was supposed to have post it. SMH Because, I believe that if you are staying somewhere ONSITE that you have a far greater chance of being let in. i.e. scanning of my MB. Like I mentioned we have rarely been turned away and we go a lot during March and Thanksgiving week. I have read many posts saying that they were turned away, but until we start getting turned away more often, we will still drive to the resort. Most of the time we do not want to do a TS meal when resort hopping, so not going to do any ADRs just to see the resort.

True. Many factors that go into a guard’s decision and they don’t all make decisions the same way either. I’ve had guards make remarks that suggested we were ok to park since staying at a different deluxe resort. We’ve also been turned away from parking early in the day without ADR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter