Staying on Property vs off Property

Off site ? Sorry 24/7 impossible :sad2:

Nobody is saying your vacation isn't magical. Just that we have enjoyed just as magical of a vacation as you. There is nothing I would have gotten/wanted on site that I did not get off site. Like I have already said everything offered at WDW except for EMH and the pools are available to off site guests...even the child care center at the hotels. If I really want their transportation...which I personally do not, I can use it. I also avoid the park with EMH and the pool I had at our off site resort was just as nice (and even better than a lot) as just about all of the WDW pools(minus maybe poly...I did think their pool was nicer). That is us though and not you, but seriously saying my vacation isn't Disney 24/7 or less magical... that is the only thing I find sad in this thread:sad2: Honestly arguing that off site is less magical than on site or not a real WDW vacation is like arguing that we don't need air to breathe....you can say it all you want, but it doesn't make it true.

Last February we stayed for 5 days at POFQ in a small room in a resort that is Mardi Gras themed. Is that Disney magic? I don't think so. Nothing Disney about it. Do we like it? Yes. Our 5th stay there. We then moved offsite to a condo for two weeks - Polynesian Isles that is south seas island themed with gorgeous landscaping. Beautiful condo, 1,200 sf with all the amenities. Had everything POFQ had plus a lot more. The cost of POFQ (with a 35% military discount) was more than twice what two weeks at the condo was. We also stayed a few days at SoG but that's another story. We do both onsite & offsite and the lamest reason to stay onsite to me is always "to be immersed in Disney Magic 24/7." :lmao::lmao: I find that humorous. But that's just me.

The following is not original I copied it from another thread. It does a great job of enumerating the benefits of offsite stays. The post is by daytodaydisney:

I've done both - my take:

Airport - Onsite you check bags at departing gate and never see them until they're delivered to your room. You wait a short time at Orlando Airport for bus to fill to take you to Disney resort.

Offsite same as onsite at departure, and my wife and in-laws grabbed porter to get luggage while I secured the minivan at Orlando. Porter loaded van at curbside.

We were away with our luggage faster doing it ourselves.

Check-in - At onsite resort, we stood in line to check in while kids watched a TV in the lobby, then waited for transportation to our room. Luggage did not arrive for several hours.

Offsite (Windsor Hills) we pulled to gate, showed guard the pass we had received weeks in advance, then drove to our townhome. Had our own assigend parking spot a few feet from front door. Luggage unloaded, swimming trunks on in matter of minutes.

Accomodations - Onsite we had two 340 square foot boxes, each equipped with 2 double beds and a lavatory in the main "living" area. Small fridge and I think a coffe maker. Very old mattresses.

Offsite, 3BR townhome, all ensuite. Living room, full kitchen, dining room table for 6, splash pool on screened in lanai. Full size washer/dryer...can you say "dry swimming suits?" Wife and I had King bed, kids had twin beds in Disney themed room, in-laws had Queen on 1st floor. DVD and game systems thoughout, although we never used, and flat panel TVs throughout. Free WiFi.

Bedtime - Onsite wife an I tried to remain quiet in dark while kids tried to sleep. Same thing in a.m. Lavatory in main sleeping area was hassle in middle of night (if you wash your hands.)

Offsite we put the kids to bed and came back down to relax, talk, consume adult beverages, check out internet for attractions we hadn't thought off, etc. Same thing in morning - showered and had first cup of coffee before kids ever got up.

Breakfast - Onsite we had a choice. I would take my Bedhead on a walk to the food court and truck back what I thought everyone would want so we could take turns eating on a bed, or we could all get up and take our bedheads to food court to eat as a family.

Offsite we ate as we got up, usually me and the in-laws were up and showered before everyone else. While wife was in shower, kids straggled down and got to sit in jammies at a table and eat. Bagel, cereal, fruit, eggs, pancakes - whatever they felt like.

Transportation to/from parks - Onsite we had to walk across a Walmart sized lot (Caribbean) to wait for bus. Usually entailed a decent wait as all buses don't go to all parks and buses the bus going to "our" park was full. With kids and grandparents, standing wasn't an option. Delivery at the park was good. Coming home was slightly better at park as there were separate lines for each resort. However, the bus stop hadn't moved, so long trek to room upon arrival.

Offsite we walked 3 feet to van. At AK, EP and HS we parked close due to buying a AAA pass. For MK, we parked at transportation center and rode monorail. The walk was less than the resort lot we experienced onsite. We used tips we learned here to mitigate time - shortcut to AK and using resort monorail instead of TC monorail at end of the day (don't tell anyone).

Meals - Everybody eats the same at the parks. Onsite we felt like we were eating the same food while at the food court. I'm sure some resorts have better options, and if you have a car, more still.

Offsite we had every option available. Nice restaurants, fast food, make something at home, you name it. Gave the kids a sense of normalcy after a day of sensory overload.

Intangibles - If you need to be immersed 24/7, probably better to go onsite. Funny, though, my kids didn't know they weren't immersed. WH is so nice and the townhome was decorated in such a way that they thought they were at Disney.

Second, hard for some (not me) to quantify the value of personal space. My kids referred to onsite as "the hotel" and offsite as "our home." They used phrases like "my room, our pool, our TV."

Third, hard for some (again, not me) to quantify the value of community (family) space. Sitting down to eat with the whole family is a big value to us. Couches to sit together on, snacks and drinks in a kitchen and a private splash pool - huge. Sitting on bed to watch TV or eat - not so much.

Lastly, freedom - to go here or there, on your schedule and by your route. To stop for ice cream on the way home.

We stayed onsite because we bought into, "You're hardly ever in your room." At that time we didn't realize just how early the parks closed relative to our bedtimes, or how tired our kids would get at parks. We learned that you're in your room a whole lot more than you probably think, and if it's a 340 sf box, you're going to be sorry.

Yep, have to agree. We stayed onsite in values when my kids were younger, and then in moderates when they were preteens. We love the THEMING at the onsite hotels. But now that they are both teens, and absolutely hate having to sleep together, we don't stay onsite. We have found that we can have more space and a pullout couch/bunk beds for the kids, etc for under $100 pretty much anytime, and can stay in a 2 bed suite at Caribe Royal, for example, for under $200 a night most of the time without difficulty (last time was Memorial Day there and values were about $180 per night, Caribe was $169 for the 2 bed) and get an actual master bedroom with king bed, whirlpool tub + walk in shower, 2nd bedroom with 2 queen beds for the girls and their own full bathroom, plus a living/dining room and a kitchen (even though we only used to drink coffee one morning and warm pizza one evening for a late night snack), and a washer/dryer if we wanted it (only used to dry the swimwear). Great pools/hot tubs, restaurants and literally took me less than 10 minutes to get to ANY Disney park , DTD was 3 minutes away. We have done the condo/townhouse thing. I like the convenience of full housekeeping, etc so prefer a 2 bed suite over the townhouse, but YMMV. I have to agree that we no longer feel it is magical to all be stuffed in one room, especially with teens complaining about the other one taking too much room in the bed or too much of the blankets, etc or too long in the bathroom!

We are now off site folk with our upcoming visit in April. Between the savings on lodging and savings of driving and not flying it has saved us enough for me and my DW to take an all inclusive 5 night trip to the Caribbean and we will still be under budget for or annual vacation budget. Woot woot!!!

With 4 of us the sleeping and showering just doesn't work in a small hotel room. Thank goodness for WBC!!!

Last February we stayed for 5 days at POFQ in a small room in a resort that is Mardi Gras themed. Is that Disney magic? I don't think so. Nothing Disney about it. Do we like it? Yes. Our 5th stay there. We then moved offsite to a condo for two weeks - Polynesian Isles that is south seas island themed with gorgeous landscaping. Beautiful condo, 1,200 sf with all the amenities. Had everything POFQ had plus a lot more. The cost of POFQ (with a 35% military discount) was more than twice what two weeks at the condo was. We also stayed a few days at SoG but that's another story. We do both onsite & offsite and the lamest reason to stay onsite to me is always "to be immersed in Disney Magic 24/7." :lmao::lmao: I find that humorous. But that's just me.

The following is not original I copied it from another thread. It does a great job of enumerating the benefits of offsite stays. The post is by daytodaydisney:

Airport - Onsite you check bags at departing gate and never see them until they're delivered to your room. You wait a short time at Orlando Airport for bus to fill to take you to Disney resort.

Offsite same as onsite at departure, and my wife and in-laws grabbed porter to get luggage while I secured the minivan at Orlando. Porter loaded van at curbside.

Check-in - At onsite resort, we stood in line to check in while kids watched a TV in the lobby, then waited for transportation to our room. Luggage did not arrive for several hours.

Offsite (Windsor Hills) we pulled to gate, showed guard the pass we had received weeks in advance, then drove to our townhome. Had our own assigend parking spot a few feet from front door. Luggage unloaded, swimming trunks on in matter of minutes.

Accomodations - Onsite we had two 340 square foot boxes, each equipped with 2 double beds and a lavatory in the main "living" area. Small fridge and I think a coffe maker. Very old mattresses.

Offsite, 3BR townhome, all ensuite. Living room, full kitchen, dining room table for 6, splash pool on screened in lanai. Full size washer/dryer...can you say "dry swimming suits?" Wife and I had King bed, kids had twin beds in Disney themed room, in-laws had Queen on 1st floor. DVD and game systems thoughout, although we never used, and flat panel TVs throughout. Free WiFi.

Bedtime - Onsite wife an I tried to remain quiet in dark while kids tried to sleep. Same thing in a.m. Lavatory in main sleeping area was hassle in middle of night (if you wash your hands.)

Offsite we put the kids to bed and came back down to relax, talk, consume adult beverages, check out internet for attractions we hadn't thought off, etc. Same thing in morning - showered and had first cup of coffee before kids ever got up.

Breakfast - Onsite we had a choice. I would take my Bedhead on a walk to the food court and truck back what I thought everyone would want so we could take turns eating on a bed, or we could all get up and take our bedheads to food court to eat as a family.

Offsite we ate as we got up, usually me and the in-laws were up and showered before everyone else. While wife was in shower, kids straggled down and got to sit in jammies at a table and eat. Bagel, cereal, fruit, eggs, pancakes - whatever they felt like.

Transportation to/from parks - Onsite we had to walk across a Walmart sized lot (Caribbean) to wait for bus. Usually entailed a decent wait as all buses don't go to all parks and buses the bus going to "our" park was full. With kids and grandparents, standing wasn't an option. Delivery at the park was good. Coming home was slightly better at park as there were separate lines for each resort. However, the bus stop hadn't moved, so long trek to room upon arrival.

Offsite we walked 3 feet to van. At AK, EP and HS we parked close due to buying a AAA pass. For MK, we parked at transportation center and rode monorail. The walk was less than the resort lot we experienced onsite. We used tips we learned here to mitigate time - shortcut to AK and using resort monorail instead of TC monorail at end of the day (don't tell anyone).

Meals - Everybody eats the same at the parks. Onsite we felt like we were eating the same food while at the food court. I'm sure some resorts have better options, and if you have a car, more still.

Offsite we had every option available. Nice restaurants, fast food, make something at home, you name it. Gave the kids a sense of normalcy after a day of sensory overload.

Intangibles - If you need to be immersed 24/7, probably better to go onsite. Funny, though, my kids didn't know they weren't immersed. WH is so nice and the townhome was decorated in such a way that they thought they were at Disney.

Second, hard for some (not me) to quantify the value of personal space. My kids referred to onsite as "the hotel" and offsite as "our home." They used phrases like "my room, our pool, our TV."

Third, hard for some (again, not me) to quantify the value of community (family) space. Sitting down to eat with the whole family is a big value to us. Couches to sit together on, snacks and drinks in a kitchen and a private splash pool - huge. Sitting on bed to watch TV or eat - not so much.

Lastly, freedom - to go here or there, on your schedule and by your route. To stop for ice cream on the way home.

We stayed onsite because we bought into, "You're hardly ever in your room." At that time we didn't realize just how early the parks closed relative to our bedtimes, or how tired our kids would get at parks. We learned that you're in your room a whole lot more than you probably think, and if it's a 340 sf box, you're going to be sorry.

I like the way you folks roll!!!

Excellent post

hey love them both!!!

do offsite yes - when RCI is having their sales - $199 for a week in a condo - love it.

but also love WDW. Now if I had not brought DVC back in 1993 - then could not do WDW stays.

been forced to retire so extra money no longer exist. So unless can get a RCI timeshare for $199 (sometimes a little more) - just use my points and stay onsite.

sometimes with the offsite ones even get to take my cats - which to me is really great!

everyone has opinions and are entitled to them.

Thanks for the citation, BeerMe (best screename ever). I know that some families stay onsite and love it. No harm in that and I'm glad they keep the Disney corporation firmly in the black so there is a hub around which to build superior private accomodations that can be had for 1/2. Without on-siters there would be no surrounding restaurants, stores and attractions.

I posted my perspective to help those who have never made their obligatory pilgrimage to worhip The Mouse, or who have been but never seen the grass from the other side of the fence. I relied on "the magic" and "you're never in your room" arguments for my first trip, compared what I spent for a stay at a moderate to what it would buy me elsewhere and will never look back.

Also, my argument isn't about a generic family staying at a generic place offsite versus same family staying onsite. It was about my family, staying over a week and visiting the parks for a predetermined number of days, and spending roughly the same amount of money (for lodging, food, transportation, park tix). Today, that pits 4 adults and 2 boys choosing between a 4BR house with a game room, private pool, rented van against 2 Disney Moderate hotel rooms. :rotfl2:

Some added perspective:

If "you're never/hardly ever in your room," (argument made by value/moderate "resort" guest):

1. Why does Disney offer everything from Pop and All-Star to Grand Floridian and Contemporary, with wildly disparate nightly rates?

2. Why would someone pay 3X more for one onsite room they're hardly ever in than a different onsite room that they're hardly ever in?

3. Where are you when you're not in your room?

Truth is, accomodations matter to a lot of folks, and Disney's tiered system is indicative of this. Animal Kingdom closes at 5-7pm, MK closes somedays at 7pm (Halloween), kids get tired. If your kids don't and will be up for going to the pool for a few hours after 9 hours at the park that began at rope drop (preceded by a healthy breakfast), great. If you think your kids might be tired and want to decompress, the "hardly ever in your room" argument hits you in the face.

BTW, Florida ain't Arizona. (Rain)

Offsiters staying in accommodations with a full kitchen argue that they can stock some groceries so as to have drinks, snacks and light meals at home. I find my own kids, as well as the adults, like this option, especially at breakfast. The onsite argument is usually, "I don't want to cook on vacation."

1. If I was talking to my mom 40 years ago this would be a great argument - we rarely ate out and she prepared every meal. Today, with our kids schedules, we eat out a lot more than I ever did as a kid, and when we're home, I help cook.

2. What is th alternative to preparing a meal where you're staying? I mean, you still gotta eat, right? To prevent yourself from "having to" prepare a meal at the house before/after a long day at the parks, onsite you "get to" walk your kids somewhere and eat at a food court/restaurant.

3. While the kitchen is a benefit to those who want to use it, it isn't a negative to those that don't. You don't pay extra to have it, in fact, it cost less. Don't want to cook? You can drive to your choice of restaurant (including tose on Disney property) or walk to Disney's choice of restaurant.

The accommodations

Orlando is our destination because we want to experience the Disney theme parks. Unless we were going to Universal, there probably isn't another reason we'd go there other than Disney. And whether park tickets are purchased as part of your Disney package, from AAA or from some third-party discount broker, it costs roughly the same to go to the parks.

Since the theme park experience is the same no matter how one gets in (yes, I know the doubled nightly rate of an onsite "resort" room gets me 2 hours a day at a park and time of Disney's choosing), the "resort" experience has to have a value commensurate with the cost of it (IMO). Sure, there is some overlap such as travel to and from parks, but at the end of the day, there you are.

The "resort" rooms and the "resort" food do not add to our desire to go to Orlando or Disney, and the value is not commensurate with the cost. (If you paid $200 a night for a Disney Moderate in Orlando while attending your cousin's wedding, would you say to yourself, "Wow, we really have to do this again!")

Secondly, if your goal is to get the most out of the parks, the accommodations have to further that goal.

Your sleeping arrangements in a moderate will be the same as in any other hotel you've ever stayed in, and I must say, are substandard to a lot of them. I'm sure Disney has a rotation schedule for mattresses that will have them switching out yours just before your visit, but mine must've been scheduled for the week after. On second thought, mine was likely scheduled for a month before my visit but it didn't get done - until I complained after a few nights.

That aside, I'm sure that my 2 boys aren't like any other 2 brothers in that they like to pick at each other from time to time. While your 2 kids would probably sleep like logs together in the same bed and never argue about the precise centerline of the mattress and any incursion of said line, mine wouldn't. So in a hotle room, 1 sleeps with me and 1 sleeps with mom, and nobody sleeps well.

You'll also probably notice about every 18 minutes throughout the night the in-wall AC compressor will kick on/off just like in every other hotel room you've ever stayed in. Just sayin'.

In an offsite house/condo Mom and I sleep in a King bed with a pillow-top mattress (or some such mattress pad), under a ceiling fan circulating quite centrally conditioned air. The kids get their own bed in their own room with the same set up. Sure, there's the obligatory 1/2 hour of argument about who get which bed (not your kids, right?), including justifications, rationalization, yelling, a bit of crying (me, not them), promises to offset the injustice and terms of agreement. But after that, it's all good (for about 3 days).

Everybody gets to sleep on the road just like they do at home, and that furthers the goal of enjoying the parks - and each other.

As I've said, my opinion is based on taking what I want to spend and comparing what it buys me onsite to what it buys me offsite. It's based on my family, our personalities and preferences and what we value.

It costs us less to get what we value more at Windsor Hills.

I do this for you, fellow pilgrims. I know your kids are angels, fully appreciative of the blessings God has bestowed on them as evidenced by His providing the means and opportunity to visit such a magical place. Mine are just a little below that level. But they have their limits, and you do not want to be around them late in the day if they're not properly rested. (If you have an affinity for mediating disagreements and you see some Dad trying to reconcile a disagreement about 1 ice cream cone that appears to be .47 ounces larger than the other one, or who got to go first 3 days ago, feel free to intervene.)

Enjoy your time!

I guess if you enjoy going to bed at 8pm when the kids do or sharing a room and having no "alone" time while on vacation with little ones....onsite is great.
Offsite is my choice with a young family. Everyone has their own room. Everyone gets a good nights sleep. And there's a pool outside my door. Quick breakfasts before leaving to the parks that we didn't pay $50 for are an added bonus. Onsite IMO is great for others.
Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my Samsung S3 using DISBoards

Frankly every off property lover always says how much cheaper it is so it IS about the money with offsiters.

Whether one stays on or off, they usually have some sort of budget in mind. That budget may be the maximum amount of money one can spend or it might be the amount one wants to spend.

When an offsiter like me brings up the fact that an offsite stay is cheaper, it is not to say I spent less but that I got more of the things I value for the same amount of money I would have spent onsite.

Magic and immersion is a value to you and you are willing to pay for it. Space, choices and rested kids are what I value. We each earned our respective pay to afford such things. Makes sense we each decide how to spend it, no?

Whether one stays on or off, they usually have some sort of budget in mind. That budget may be the maximum amount of money one can spend or it might be the amount one wants to spend.

When an offsiter like me brings up the fact that an offsite stay is cheaper, it is not to say I spent less but that I got more of the things I value for the same amount of money I would have spent onsite.

Magic and immersion is a value to you and you are willing to pay for it. Space, choices and rested kids are what I value. We each earned our respective pay to afford such things. Makes sense we each decide how to spend it, no?

I agree with this. Everyone is just trying to optimize their budget based on their needs and wants. And your budget is what you want to spend on a vacation, not what you can spend necessarily.

Off site all the way! We stayed values for 3 trips and enjoyed it very much, but I can no longer justify paying $100+ a night for that tiny room when we got our last off-site condo through Hotwire for $46 a night, and it included a full kitchen and a jacuzzi tub in the room. Of course, we drive, so our experience might be different if we had to fly in. We get just as much joy out of visiting the resorts, walking around, and enjoying the food/atmosphere. Just my humble opinion :goodvibes

I agree with this. Everyone is just trying to optimize their budget based on their needs and wants. And your budget is what you want to spend on a vacation, not what you can spend necessarily.

Exactly!

My choices are:

a) stay onsite (2 rooms) and have have 1 trip for the year to WDW.
b) stay offsite (2 bedroom) and go to WDW with the family and take another trip with just the DW to an all inclusive Caribbean resort (last minute deals on websites).

Also, in order to do B we have to drive vs. fly. (A whole other can of warms).

We have done B quite more often then A. lol

Thanks for the citation, BeerMe (best screename ever). I know that some families stay onsite and love it. No harm in that and I'm glad they keep the Disney corporation firmly in the black so there is a hub around which to build superior private accomodations that can be had for 1/2. Without on-siters there would be no surrounding restaurants, stores and attractions.

I posted my perspective to help those who have never made their obligatory pilgrimage to worhip The Mouse, or who have been but never seen the grass from the other side of the fence. I relied on "the magic" and "you're never in your room" arguments for my first trip, compared what I spent for a stay at a moderate to what it would buy me elsewhere and will never look back.

Also, my argument isn't about a generic family staying at a generic place offsite versus same family staying onsite. It was about my family, staying over a week and visiting the parks for a predetermined number of days, and spending roughly the same amount of money (for lodging, food, transportation, park tix). Today, that pits 4 adults and 2 boys choosing between a 4BR house with a game room, private pool, rented van against 2 Disney Moderate hotel rooms. :rotfl2:

Some added perspective:

If "you're never/hardly ever in your room," (argument made by value/moderate "resort" guest):

1. Why does Disney offer everything from Pop and All-Star to Grand Floridian and Contemporary, with wildly disparate nightly rates?

2. Why would someone pay 3X more for one onsite room they're hardly ever in than a different onsite room that they're hardly ever in?

3. Where are you when you're not in your room?

Truth is, accomodations matter to a lot of folks, and Disney's tiered system is indicative of this. Animal Kingdom closes at 5-7pm, MK closes somedays at 7pm (Halloween), kids get tired. If your kids don't and will be up for going to the pool for a few hours after 9 hours at the park that began at rope drop (preceded by a healthy breakfast), great. If you think your kids might be tired and want to decompress, the "hardly ever in your room" argument hits you in the face.

BTW, Florida ain't Arizona. (Rain)

Offsiters staying in accommodations with a full kitchen argue that they can stock some groceries so as to have drinks, snacks and light meals at home. I find my own kids, as well as the adults, like this option, especially at breakfast. The onsite argument is usually, "I don't want to cook on vacation."

1. If I was talking to my mom 40 years ago this would be a great argument - we rarely ate out and she prepared every meal. Today, with our kids schedules, we eat out a lot more than I ever did as a kid, and when we're home, I help cook.

2. What is th alternative to preparing a meal where you're staying? I mean, you still gotta eat, right? To prevent yourself from "having to" prepare a meal at the house before/after a long day at the parks, onsite you "get to" walk your kids somewhere and eat at a food court/restaurant.

3. While the kitchen is a benefit to those who want to use it, it isn't a negative to those that don't. You don't pay extra to have it, in fact, it cost less. Don't want to cook? You can drive to your choice of restaurant (including tose on Disney property) or walk to Disney's choice of restaurant.

The accommodations

Orlando is our destination because we want to experience the Disney theme parks. Unless we were going to Universal, there probably isn't another reason we'd go there other than Disney. And whether park tickets are purchased as part of your Disney package, from AAA or from some third-party discount broker, it costs roughly the same to go to the parks.

Since the theme park experience is the same no matter how one gets in (yes, I know the doubled nightly rate of an onsite "resort" room gets me 2 hours a day at a park and time of Disney's choosing), the "resort" experience has to have a value commensurate with the cost of it (IMO). Sure, there is some overlap such as travel to and from parks, but at the end of the day, there you are.

The "resort" rooms and the "resort" food do not add to our desire to go to Orlando or Disney, and the value is not commensurate with the cost. (If you paid $200 a night for a Disney Moderate in Orlando while attending your cousin's wedding, would you say to yourself, "Wow, we really have to do this again!")

Secondly, if your goal is to get the most out of the parks, the accommodations have to further that goal.

Your sleeping arrangements in a moderate will be the same as in any other hotel you've ever stayed in, and I must say, are substandard to a lot of them. I'm sure Disney has a rotation schedule for mattresses that will have them switching out yours just before your visit, but mine must've been scheduled for the week after. On second thought, mine was likely scheduled for a month before my visit but it didn't get done - until I complained after a few nights.

That aside, I'm sure that my 2 boys aren't like any other 2 brothers in that they like to pick at each other from time to time. While your 2 kids would probably sleep like logs together in the same bed and never argue about the precise centerline of the mattress and any incursion of said line, mine wouldn't. So in a hotle room, 1 sleeps with me and 1 sleeps with mom, and nobody sleeps well.

You'll also probably notice about every 18 minutes throughout the night the in-wall AC compressor will kick on/off just like in every other hotel room you've ever stayed in. Just sayin'.

In an offsite house/condo Mom and I sleep in a King bed with a pillow-top mattress (or some such mattress pad), under a ceiling fan circulating quite centrally conditioned air. The kids get their own bed in their own room with the same set up. Sure, there's the obligatory 1/2 hour of argument about who get which bed (not your kids, right?), including justifications, rationalization, yelling, a bit of crying (me, not them), promises to offset the injustice and terms of agreement. But after that, it's all good (for about 3 days).

Everybody gets to sleep on the road just like they do at home, and that furthers the goal of enjoying the parks - and each other.

As I've said, my opinion is based on taking what I want to spend and comparing what it buys me onsite to what it buys me offsite. It's based on my family, our personalities and preferences and what we value.

It costs us less to get what we value more at Windsor Hills.

I do this for you, fellow pilgrims. I know your kids are angels, fully appreciative of the blessings God has bestowed on them as evidenced by His providing the means and opportunity to visit such a magical place. Mine are just a little below that level. But they have their limits, and you do not want to be around them late in the day if they're not properly rested. (If you have an affinity for mediating disagreements and you see some Dad trying to reconcile a disagreement about 1 ice cream cone that appears to be .47 ounces larger than the other one, or who got to go first 3 days ago, feel free to intervene.)

Enjoy your time!

Great post!!!:thumbsup2 I just don't get why people think off site do it that way because it is all they can afford....I read somewhere a budget trip to Disney for a family of 4 is in the $2,000 and moderate vacation in the $5,000 range and a bells and whistles vacation $12,000. I think you can do all three types on or off site, but it is just what you really need for your family to really enjoy it.

OKW 2br is over 1300 sq ft. That's my home resort with DVC. ON property short bus ride to parks or relaxing boat ride to DTD.
Disney "themed" house/condo not comparable at all. (I have lots of Disney stuff in my house) Not the same as being there!!
My family likes EMH which we plan things around , Disney restaurants, The Campground, boat rentals, hotel touring, shopping, YEP 24/7 :wave2:

Hey Wilderness, not to get too off topic but I really like your home resort. What does it cost in points for a 2 bedroom there? I'm thinking it may make more sense to buy that instead of shelling out $800 a week for WBC.

Thanks

Great post!!!:thumbsup2 I just don't get why people think off site do it that way because it is all they can afford....I read somewhere a budget trip to Disney for a family of 4 is in the $2,000 and moderate vacation in the $5,000 range and a bells and whistles vacation $12,000. I think you can do all three types on or off site, but it is just what you really need for your family to really enjoy it.

The all inclusive cost (4BR house, food, van, parking and park tix) for our trip this year is $5,595.

Same stay with 2 moderate rooms would be $7,360.

Irony: I'd pay $7,360 to stay in the house.

Well they must be pretty special because almost every room on WDW property IS spectacular. And WDW property is more convenient than any off property rental. Frankly every off property lover always says how much cheaper it is so it IS about the money with offsiters.
A Disney vacation is all about the feel of being at WDW not at some house down the street.
That being said we all have our own ideas of vacation .

For us it is absolutely all about the money!

Four criteria it must meet.

1) Has to be close (20 minutes or less to parks)
2) Has to be roomy (2+ beds & 2+ baths)
3) Has to be cheap (under $1,000 for 7 nights)
4) Has to be cheap (under $1,000 for 7 nights);)

I have to say I definitely prefer to stay off property (BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!)

I have been going to Disney on an almost annual basis for 30 + years since I was 12.

Over the years the way things have changed I don't see the "magic" staying on site anymore.
I think that being such a frequent visitor makes you less willing to pay for the Disney "magic". Quite frankly, if I didn't own DVC I don't think I would stay onsite again since it has become so expensive. Then again, I believe that we are also outgrowning WDW as a family as our DD enters high school. WDW has become a comfortable & familiar place and is no longer a "OMG! This is so magical!!!" place. The pace of our last few trips was much different than the ones of a few years ago.

I think that being such a frequent visitor makes you less willing to pay for the Disney "magic". Quite frankly, if I didn't own DVC I don't think I would stay onsite again since it has become so expensive. Then again, I believe that we are also outgrowning WDW as a family as our DD enters high school. WDW has become a comfortable & familiar place and is no longer a "OMG! This is so magical!!!" place. The pace of our last few trips was much different than the ones of a few years ago.

I agree with this post. We've been to WDW over a dozen times since 2003, I think it's 17 but not sure. We love going to WDW but I'm less willing to pay more to stay oniste. It's just three of us, me, DH, and DS who is almost 18. DH and I are both Pooh sized so sleeping together in a full or queen bed isn't great. DS likes his own space to get away from us. We just need a little more room to spread out. Disney is just not affordable for that. We are staying at WBC in a 2 BR condo this Oct for 5 nights for $119 a night, $595 total. I looked at WDW site, OKW is $570 for a 1 BR and $833 for a 2BR a night. It's just not practical for us to pay that much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter