Step By Step - How to Add Names to an Existing Contract (Gratuitous Transfer)

Thank you all for the helpful information on changing our deeds !! I successfully changed 5 deeds to add our sons as owners. Total cost for the 5 deeds was $101. This saved us a ton of money. Sent the new deeds pdf to Disney this morning and now we wait for the new member packet so they can get their blue cards. We also had a deed at Hilton Head that had to be done by attorney as you cannot do yourself in SC. That one cost us $410 ouch. We used Burr & Forman LLP in SC if anyone is needing to change their deed at Hilton Head.
For others reading, LTtransfers.com can do it for half that for SC.

It's all done! Thanks to the instructions here, my kids got their emails from Disney to apply for their blue cards, and I can see their names when I log in to the DVC member site. Thank you to everyone who contributed to the instructions on how to do this.

Hi, I've read through the thread and understand the process. I feel comfortable handling it. I do have a question though. I am trying to complete this and be listed as owner before our trip in April. (My husband is the owner and I've always been listed as associate. Since he isn't traveling I want to be officially an owner. It's never been an issue before but it seems they've become quite picky about being a blue card owner).
I have sent the "request to change title" to Disney and I'm waiting for a response. Since they are taking forever is there any reason I can't go ahead and send the new deed to orange county and get that complete while I wait for Disney? The way I read things it seems I only need to send new deed to Orange County comptroller. Or do I need to wait on paperwork from Disney? Just trying to speed up the process a bit. :)

Thank you for your help. I sent mine in on January 25th and it has been processed and is posted on the Orange County Site .

To those who are wondering, it IS worth the time and effort. My transfer cost $40 and about two hours time which consisted of researching here and actually typing it up.

Don't be shy, go for it. You can do it!

Thank you for your help. I sent mine in on January 25th and it has been processed and is posted on the Orange County Site .

To those who are wondering, it IS worth the time and effort. My transfer cost $40 and about two hours time which consisted of researching here and actually typing it up.

Don't be shy, go for it. You can do it!

Did you just send the deed to OC or did you wait for any paperwork from Disney? I have my deed ready to mail to OC just wondering if I need to send anything from Disney with it?

Did you just send the deed to OC or did you wait for any paperwork from Disney? I have my deed ready to mail to OC just wondering if I need to send anything from Disney with it?

I just finished adding my children to our deed. I was like you and waited for a while for paperwork from Disney, but after a couple of months, I just sent the new deed to OC and then when I got it back with the stamp attached, I sent a copy of that to Disney. It seemed to work as not long after that their names showed up on our account.

I just finished adding my children to our deed. I was like you and waited for a while for paperwork from Disney, but after a couple of months, I just sent the new deed to OC and then when I got it back with the stamp attached, I sent a copy of that to Disney. It seemed to work as not long after that their names showed up on our account.

Perfect! I'll move forward with that. Did you ever get new member info sheet from Disney? Or did you just send info (names, address, contact info) with the new deed to Disney? Thank you so much for helping me!!!

You do not need anything from Disney to send in with your Deed

It’s official! After 24 years I am now listed as co-owner on our DVC. 😊 Thank you to those who took the time to explain the process and answer my questions. All in all it was fairly simple. I’ll give a little timeline of my process.

1/25 - printed form from DVC site and faxed to member administration. Also emailed Disney a few questions.

While waiting for response I printed our existing title from OC comptroller website along with a few examples. I wrote a new title and prepared it while waiting for Disney.

2/3- After no response from Disney I asked if others had waited for response from Disney and learned I could mail my title to Orange County. I did not have to wait for Disney.
2/4 - mailed new title to Orange County
2/10 - checked Orange County website and saw my new title had been accepted and was updated on OC comptroller website. I printed my new updated title.
2/11 - I emailed Disney a cover later with all the new info and a copy of the new stamped title.
2/25 - after no response from Disney at all I faxed my cover letter and the new title.
2/26 - got my “welcome home” email! I logged on and sure enough I am now listed as “co-purchaser”. I promptly ordered my new blue card. 😃.
Not sure if my fax helped or it was just time for them to get around to my original email but either way I’m glad it’s all done!! Cost me $44 total including OC fees and postage. Thanks again for all the help!!! It was an easy thing to do and if we decide to add our kids down the road I would do it myself again.

It’s official! After 24 years I am now listed as co-owner on our DVC. 😊 Thank you to those who took the time to explain the process and answer my questions. All in all it was fairly simple. I’ll give a little timeline of my process.

1/25 - printed form from DVC site and faxed to member administration. Also emailed Disney a few questions.

While waiting for response I printed our existing title from OC comptroller website along with a few examples. I wrote a new title and prepared it while waiting for Disney.

2/3- After no response from Disney I asked if others had waited for response from Disney and learned I could mail my title to Orange County. I did not have to wait for Disney.
2/4 - mailed new title to Orange County
2/10 - checked Orange County website and saw my new title had been accepted and was updated on OC comptroller website. I printed my new updated title.
2/11 - I emailed Disney a cover later with all the new info and a copy of the new stamped title.
2/25 - after no response from Disney at all I faxed my cover letter and the new title.
2/26 - got my “welcome home” email! I logged on and sure enough I am now listed as “co-purchaser”. I promptly ordered my new blue card. 😃.
Not sure if my fax helped or it was just time for them to get around to my original email but either way I’m glad it’s all done!! Cost me $44 total including OC fees and postage. Thanks again for all the help!!! It was an easy thing to do and if we decide to add our kids down the road I would do it myself again.

Congratulations, and thanks for your update / idea. I sent the email with our deed to member admin on 2/2, and have tried following up on a couple of occasions, without any response. I never thought about faxing, so I'll give that a shot and see if it helps.

Anyone from Canada get this done by themselves using this thread? I just wondered if we need an ink stamp like the US or a wax seal like the UK and if we could send a bank draft to the OCC since I don't have an American funds chequing account.

Still reading.

But did you get your answers? What did you end up doing?

Thanks for any insight.

Okay. Advice. Read the entire thread.

Dropping an owner. Doable on my own? Worried about notary (Canadian owner).

Okay. Advice. Read the entire thread.

Dropping an owner. Doable on my own? Worried about notary (Canadian owner).
I would call the OCC. They were very helpful when I called them to clarify some info. These are pretty specific items and they are the ones who know what they will allow or not.

Received all my info back from OCC today telling me they were unable to process it because they could not determine the purchase price/consideration amount for my deeds. For the record, it is explicitly stated in each deed. They sent me a form to fill out (property transfer information form) for each deed. I will call them on Monday to make sure I get everything right before sending it in again and I will update this thread after I speak with them.

Just got off the phone with OCC. I was informed by an extremely nice lady that they do not look into the body of the deed so they would never be able to determine the amount of consideration if it is only in the deed (I didn't question this; I don't understand it but what do I know). I was informed that the amount of consideration needs to be in a cover letter, or in the upper left corner of the deed or on a separate Property Transfer Information Form. Since my deed was already notarized, I filled out the form they sent me, one form for each deed and updated my cover letter to include this in the details. What I read in the sticky is that if you do not have a consideration paragraph in the deed itself, you need to include the consideration amount in the top left corner. The sticky makes sense. My editorializing aside, I'm updating this thread to let everyone else here know what transpired as I work through the process. I will be overnighting them today and I'll update again when I get another update from OCC.

Last edited:
Update: Just checked the OCC website and they are in the system and being processed. I sent these overnight last Monday, March 29th, via the USPS. I overnighted them as it was a short week and I wanted to get it to them before the end of the week. The USPS lost them and instead of it getting there on Tuesday, it got there on Friday, a holiday for Orange County, so it didn't get looked at until yesterday. As overnight delivery is guaranteed, I was refunded the $26.35 overnight express cost. I have to hand it to the Comptroller's office, they work fast. Thank you to all on this board for your insight and advice. I figure it saved me around $550 to $600 by doing it myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter