stolen wheelchair

nanatink

DIS Veteran
I know in the past I have read a few posts that stated that their wheelchair was stolen. I would be devasted if someone stole mine. That's up in the thousands of dollars and a lot of time, paperwork and getting doctors appointments and approvals, as you all know who have got a wheelchair or etc.

I have 3 questions. If I take a bicycle lock to put on my chair, will the cm at the ride, when she moves the wheelchair to the other location, put the bike lock on the wheel chair?

Is there any chance that damage could be done to the wheels that a bike lock could cause?

When you have been on a ride have you ever notice that when you leave a bag on your chair that when you return the zipper part is left open? I have noticed this has happen to me numerous times on star tours at disney studio's and test tract. I don't know if the cm was checking for security reasons or a curious disney guest. I thought it was a little odd for this to happen.

Hi, nanatink!

When we used to have a resort wheelchair, we would bring along a bike cable lock with a padlock and lock the back big wheel to the chair frame. That way if it needed to be moved a CM could just pop it up on the unlocked wheel and move it to a better place, but it would be pretty difficult for someone to steal it.

As far as having opened up zippers on backpacks...we always take my backpack with me, as while most of the people at WDW are honest, it only takes one person who isn't to make things miserable. If there was nothing in it that I cared out (including the backpack), I would leave it on the wheelchair, but since I usually have stuff that would be a pain to replace, it would come right in wherever I am going with me.

My backpack(bookbag) is secured to the back of my wheelchair. I never leave anything valuable in it. I have never noticed anything missing. It's just strange that the zipper is sometimes unzipped and that it has happen many times. The trip coming up is my 18th time. As many times as I have been there. I still need a map "sometimes." I think the reason for this I have always been the navigator and also the fact when it's crowded all you see at that level is children and people's back sides. Oh my, I know how small children feel in that situation. So if they get cranky it's probably they're hot and a little claustrophbic(sp).

The ones I have read about getting stollen were mostly rental wheelchairs. They all look the same, so it's always possible the wheelchairs were not really stollen, just taken by mistake.
We've been bringing DD's own custom wheelchair since 1987 and have never had it disturbed. Usually, it will be parked at the boarding/exit area and is not really all that accessible to anyone to just run off with it. We sometimes leave a backpack with clothes, snacks, etc on it, but I wouldn't leave anything of value on it. It would be possible for someone to grab a bag off the back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter