Stopped into a McDonalds very early,

Don't the seniors have their 2 hour klatches AFTER normal breakfast hours and BEFORE the lunch crowd? As long as it's not busy the managers probably don't care how long they linger.

It's the same at many Starbucks, although I suppose the table hogs there do buy more than just water.

I'm not really sure, but I think that's how it generally works. I've heard some locations in our area really cater to those senior groups and some look to curtail that practice.

I used to get together with a group of friends maybe two/three times a year at a few different locations of a local coffee chain. I noticed that when we went in to some of them we would run into what seemed like other organized groups meeting for what seemed like regular standing nights. One was a group playing chess, another was a group knitting. I did notice both groups passing around snacks like grapes and cookies they had brought in. I was surprised the coffee house let that in because of health code. That made me look to see if I noticed anyone in the groups even had any cups from the coffee house. None. It wasn't uncommon for our group to be there an hour and a half, two hours and the groups were there when we arrived and when we left. Both of the locations where I noticed those groups are now closed. The chain has other locations open and has still opened more. I think they simply closed underperforming locations and I can guess why some underperformed.

I wish Paneras would adopt the time restriction it's ridiculous to see a family looking for a table and one person taking a booth with a glass of water and a computer.

Yeah, Panera is kind of strange. They want you to stay. I guess they figure if you are there for a while you will eventually buy a meal. I have seen people taking up big tables with a laptop, stacks of paper, phones etc. while they sit and work. They don't seem to mind and I have never seen a manager ask anyone to leave.

This is all part of an effort to rebrand themselves into a more upscale establishment. Anyone notice how expensive the menu's gotten?

Don't the seniors have their 2 hour klatches AFTER normal breakfast hours and BEFORE the lunch crowd? As long as it's not busy the managers probably don't care how long they linger.

There's one McDonald's I go to when I get my tires changed / rotated / etc - it's next to the service center. The times I've gone, I drop off my car not long after they open (at 8) and then take my laptop over to McD's and grab some breakfast and get some work done. Nearly everytime I've been in there, there's a group of 6-8 old men in there drinking their $1 coffee and solving the world's problems. Actually, they're pretty funny to listen to most of the time. But McDonald's has never really been that crowded in the restaurant at breakfast time, so I doubt anyone working there cares.

Took my kids to the Pittsburgh Zoo last week and there was a new sign above the drinking fountain asking people not to brush their teeth in it. I'm still wondering how someone could be regularly brushing their teeth in the fountain in such a way that it would prompt the creation of a sign. Were they spitting toothpaste all over the wall? In my years working in schools I have seen kids do so many weird/gross things to water fountains that I will never ever drink out of one anyway.

Took my kids to the Pittsburgh Zoo last week and there was a new sign above the drinking fountain asking people not to brush their teeth in it. I'm still wondering how someone could be regularly brushing their teeth in the fountain in such a way that it would prompt the creation of a sign. Were they spitting toothpaste all over the wall? In my years working in schools I have seen kids do so many weird/gross things to water fountains that I will never ever drink out of one anyway.
Spent a few days last week in Pittsburgh and had a lot of fun.
Can't believe you saw a sign like that or that the zoo felt the need to put that sign up. That's crazy that they would even have too.

I've never seen the 30 minute sign anywhere. But I was walking by a McDonald's in Vegas when I saw Jake from Deadliest catch on vacation looking for Crab in McDonald's. I had to take him over to Caesar's. Just like the show, someone else always has to show him where the crab is.

I haven't noticed the video sign.

But I have seen the 30 minute sign on the door if the kids area. Maybe it is because McDonald's shouldnt be a kids babysitter.

Panera and Starbucks are quite different business models from McDonald's. You are encouraged to sit for a while in Panera and Starbucks. I see a lot of business transactions occur in Panera and Starbucks from financial advisors, to wedding planning, to house planning, to employment opportunities, etc. The environment lends itself to that. McDonald's..not so much lol.

I can't say that I've seen a sign but that doesn't mean it hasn't existed. Video just makes me wonder if it's in response to how quickly people these days whip out their phones and start recording things (good or bad) usually fights or disgrunted guests. Makes me wonder though if they would bother a table if they were taking a video of themselves at the table (rather than other patrons or staff) or pictures of themselves.

At the downtown McDonalds near the hospital, the homeless will buy a cup of coffee and sit all day if they don't enforce the 30 minute limit.

Last year in my town, someone recorded a confrontation between a McDonald's employee and homeless lady that he asked to leave the restaurant. There were other customers saying they should leave her alone, she's not hurting anything etc. It blew up big time and McDonalds was heavily criticized. So that would explain the 30 minute rule as well as the no photos or video recording. Trying to kick out the homeless and not have it social media.

I've never seen the video sign (although it's been a while since I've been in McD's, so it could be a new policy), but I have seen the 30 minute sign. Among the other reasons mentioned here, they probably also want to discourage people from sitting there all day using the free wifi.

I wonder if that has to do with people taking videos of people fighting in McDonald's...? If you search "McDonald's fight" on Google you get at least 8 or 9 results just from 2019 alone... I don't know really.

That was the first thing that came to my mind.

I haven't seen any signs like this at the McDonalds around Louisville, but I do usually go through the drive-thru. I know there is a group of men that hang out at the one by my house in the morning.

The only time I have ever really "hung out" at a McDonalds is when I take my cat to the groomers. It's across town and only takes about an hour, so I usually drop her off and then go to the McDonalds up the road for some breakfast and just hang out until it is time to go get her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter