Straight A's, a potential promotion, and a miracle... and "weather!"

angryduck71

DIS Veteran
Happy New Year! I just unpacked from our latest trip and decided to sit down to start writing our trip report. It really started in early June as we were leaving our last Universal (and Disney) trip. We decided to upgrade to a premier pass, use some Hilton points I had, and come back the week after Christmas. We knew it would be the busiest week of the year, but we had a plan - and, for the most part, it worked wonderfully. This has been one of my favorite trips ever! Can't wait to share it with you!

Day 1: Our depart date was Monday, December 27th. Weeks before the trip, I realized I could not find my Annual Passes. DRAT! I read we could get them reprinted but it would cost $20 each or something. I also read sometimes you can get that fee waived. What was worse than the money, though, was the thought of standing in line at customer service.... always a long line. But, knew it was coming....

Anyway, my boyfriend was driving my son, Davy, and I to the airport, and we decided to stop for Subway to take for a lunch at the airport. We looked up that they would be open at 10 am so we would have plenty of time (our flight left at 12:20). We get to the Subway and it's closed. :( Hoping this isn't a sign that our trip would have continued bad luck... my mom, who was a bit worried about us going for some reason, had told me she just knew something bad was going to happen... and that was in the back of my mind (spoiler -- very few minor "bad" things happened this trip -- she was totally wrong!). We went to the next exit where there was another Subway and that one was open. We grabbed some sandwiches and headed on to the airport.

Lots of flights had been canceling due to low staff (COVID) and weather (but mostly in the Northwest, I believe). Southwest hadn't been canceling though, so I was hopeful. And, there was no problem whatsoever. We had a nonstop flight (what I always want). When we landed, I can't even remember what we were talking about exactly, but Davy said, "when I have kids, I have a feeling you’re going to be the cool grandma who spoils my kids rotten.” I certainly hope so!

We had Tony Hinds pick us up as usual. Only this time, we weren't staying onsite. I had many points with Hilton due to weird circumstances (you'd think I'd quit staying at Hilton properties after being stuck in an elevator for an hour and a half once, rude service once, and two fire alarms not working on separate visits) but when they keep rewarding me points and a room just outside of Universal is free.... yeah... I'll stay. :) We stayed at the DoubleTree just across the street from the Universal Orlando Resort. Of course, once you get to the resort, it's about a 10-15 minute walk to one of the parks. Not TOO bad. We dropped off our luggage and started walking to Islands of Adventure.

We got to security by where Valet parking is located. There was a family and the dad had a pocket knife in his backpack. This caused an unnecessary delay. He was told he could take the knife back to his car. He said that would be too inconvenient, could the guard just hold it. The guard explained he had to confiscate it and not give it back if he left it but he could take it back to his car.... so, the wife told the husband, "just throw it in the bushes and get it later." The guard said, "if I see you do it, I will go get it and confiscate it." Sigh..... meanwhile, we just wanted to get in. FINALLY, the dad walked away -- I guess to put the knife away. We went through no problem in moments. I am always amazed at guys trying to bring in a pocket knife. Now, I realize usually they just forget they have it on them... but, since it was in a backpack, I have to think he recently put it in there. Not smart.

By 5:37 pm, we got in line for guest services to get our passes reprinted. Everyone in line looked angry. Probably because they were there because something went wrong... but, as I have overheard, it's usually not the park's fault... I heard the guy in front of us -- his large group (of about 6) could not get into the parks with the tickets he bought... turns out, they had spent $300 each for express passes for the day, but no actual ticket. And, the parks closed at 10 pm! What in the world... if I was spending that much money, you bet I would have read all of the fine print. Very pricey mistake!

We got to a window... I always try to be extra nice to all of the park employees, but especially those at the service desk as they are yelled at a lot. I went up, was polite, and got our reprints for free. Yay! Took about 20 minutes total, but it did seem longer as we were anxious to get into the park.

FINALLY inside, I had asked earlier what ride Davy wanted to start with. He said Hulk for sure. I have probably mentioned this in previous reports, but Islands of Adventure was the first amusement park I took Davy to. He was about 3 or 4 and in a stroller when we walked in -- he took one look at Hulk, pointed and said, "I wanna ride that!" For years, he could not wait until he was tall enough. Well, now he's taller than I am! Now, I used to love rollercoasters... but, sometimes, they make me motion sick even though I wear a scopolamine patch that helps greatly with most rides, but it appears if there's lots of G forces in a ride, it doesn't help much. So, I was a no-go for the Hulk. I decided to shop instead. This tempted me... I have always been fascinated with The Bride.

bride.jpeg

Met up with Davy after his Hulk ride and he looked so happy!

Davy hulk.jpeg

We then decided to take a ride on the Jurassic River ride. We decided after that this ride is even better in the dark. So much fun! We didn't get TOO wet this time -- and it was warm.

We decided to grab a bite to eat at Three Broomsticks. I fully expected a long long line but was surprised that it was relatively short. We split the fish and chips and they were better than I remembered. And, I had a hot butterbeer -- heaven! Then, we rode Forbidden Journey (so thankful for the motion sickness patch -- can ride this no problem!). Davy said he felt like he got closer to the creepy things on this ride this time. He loved it!

Love this castle!

hogwarts.jpeg

We then jumped on Hogwarts Express to go over to Universal.

I must pause here to give a little background about my son. This kid is a freaking genius. And, he is not afraid of working hard. During this fall semester, he took mostly AP and Honors classes on top of doing cross country and marching band. The marching band even won the State Championships. He said if he ended up with straight A's this semester, I had to ride RRR with him. I knew he'd do it... but, I also knew that I could handle that one (as opposed to the Hulk or Velocicoaster). He was really excited to have me pay up on that, so we headed there next. I chose my usual "I Will Survive" as my song. Davy chose Led Zepplin's "Immigrant Song" off the "secret" list. This surprised me as I didn't know how he knew that song... then he reminded me it was in a Thor movie. LOL.

Davy then insisted on Jimmy Fallon. He loves this ride. Most do not like it (although I did hear one other person in the parks this trip talk about liking it... so, now I've heard of two people who actually enjoy it). I saw the Tribute store and wanted to glance in it -- Davy was having none of it and rode the Mummy without me... that disappointed me as I love the Mummy. Sigh.... The Tribute Store was not really worth it in my opinion other than one picture area. I was bummed I missed Mummy. But, I did catch some of the Cinematic Celebration which was fun.

We then walked back to the hotel. Our feet hurt a bit but we were so happy!

And, obligatory pic of big Christmas tree:

tree.jpeg

Last edited:
Great start to the trip - even with the few bumps you hit.

I am always amazed at guys trying to bring in a pocket knife. Now, I realize usually they just forget they have it on them... but, since it was in a backpack, I have to think he recently put it in there. Not smart.
Doesn't sound like the case here, but I've had a pocket knife in my backpack without knowing it. A few years ago, we were waiting on a tram to go to MK for MVMCP and my wife's youngest (early 20s) remembered she had a knife in her bag. I gave her the keys and she ran back to the car to leave it there.

A month or so later, I was travelling for work and TSA pulled my backpack aside. They said there was a knife in there. I said there was not a knife in there. The TSA agent pulls out a knife and gives me a 'told you so' look. I said, "That isn't mine. I don't know how that got in there." They said they needed to confiscate it and I said that was fine since it wasn't mine anyway. I got about 10 steps away when I put 2 and 2 together and realized she had put the knife in my backpack and forgotten it. lol

I often wonder how many times per day TSA hears, "That isn't mine!" and out of those, how many people are actually telling the truth!

Now, I used to love rollercoasters... but, sometimes, they make me motion sick even though I wear a scopolamine patch that helps greatly with most rides, but it appears if there's lots of G forces in a ride, it doesn't help much. So, I was a no-go for the Hulk.
I love the scop patches. I couldn't ride half of what I do without it. That's too bad that it doesn't help you with G force rides!

Alice, I`m so glad to see you`ve started your TR!!!

And your Young Sheldon is certainly an absolute star and I love he enjoys all the coasters....I will survive is the only song I ever play on RRR too......lol......it soothes me!!

I agree the Tribute Store was missing something this time round, it could have been better. And yes, I`m always amazed folks spend a lot of money and know next to nothing about where they`re going!!!! Crazy.....

And glad GS were wonderful with you, and yes, I think all the TM have to put up some nonsense they don`t deserve every day, I know they appreciate the nice ones!!

Excited to read more and hope you enjoyed your DoubleTree stay, we hear very good reports from that one usually.

Great start to the trip - even with the few bumps you hit.

Doesn't sound like the case here, but I've had a pocket knife in my backpack without knowing it. A few years ago, we were waiting on a tram to go to MK for MVMCP and my wife's youngest (early 20s) remembered she had a knife in her bag. I gave her the keys and she ran back to the car to leave it there.

A month or so later, I was travelling for work and TSA pulled my backpack aside. They said there was a knife in there. I said there was not a knife in there. The TSA agent pulls out a knife and gives me a 'told you so' look. I said, "That isn't mine. I don't know how that got in there." They said they needed to confiscate it and I said that was fine since it wasn't mine anyway. I got about 10 steps away when I put 2 and 2 together and realized she had put the knife in my backpack and forgotten it. lol

I often wonder how many times per day TSA hears, "That isn't mine!" and out of those, how many people are actually telling the truth!

I love the scop patches. I couldn't ride half of what I do without it. That's too bad that it doesn't help you with G force rides!
And you did the right thing by just trying to put it back and not arguing like this guy did! Yeah, I do love the patches though! Forbidden Journey almost made me hurl without them. Now, no problem!

Alice, I`m so glad to see you`ve started your TR!!!

And your Young Sheldon is certainly an absolute star and I love he enjoys all the coasters....I will survive is the only song I ever play on RRR too......lol......it soothes me!!

I agree the Tribute Store was missing something this time round, it could have been better. And yes, I`m always amazed folks spend a lot of money and know next to nothing about where they`re going!!!! Crazy.....

And glad GS were wonderful with you, and yes, I think all the TM have to put up some nonsense they don`t deserve every day, I know they appreciate the nice ones!!

Excited to read more and hope you enjoyed your DoubleTree stay, we hear very good reports from that one usually.

I have more good stories about GS later! And, yes, DoubleTree was fine. Clean, fairly nice... not as good as the premier onsite hotels obviously though.... but, can't complain about the price of it! Worth it!

Day 2: Although we had early entry with our APs, we had decided to just sleep in and relax in the morning. I got up and read. Davy worked on his 4th novel (this kid is amazing). I called my mom to check on her (she is 90 and still lives in the house I grew up in). She was amazed we weren't in the parks. "Isn't that a waste of vacation?" Getting to sleep in and read leisurely? Sounds like a great vacation to me! Granted, we usually take advantage of early entry but we just decided we did not want to do that this trip. We munched on some of the apples and bagels I had packed but were getting really hungry. Finally, around 11:30, we headed to The Kitchen at Hard Rock. We were hungry!!!
Davy kitchen.jpeg

In June, we ate here and it was delicious. Not as great this time, but it did hit the spot. And, I do love looking around at the decor.

elvis kitchen.jpeg

davy ktichen eating.jpeg

We then went back to the room to relax until our express passes kicked in. Here is the very front of the resort across from DoubleTree:

front of universal.jpeg

Around 3:45 I think, we headed back to the park. We went to Universal as we had the Holiday Tour booked for 5 pm but wanted to get a ride in first. We wanted to go to Gringotts (one of my favorites)... but, it had just reopened after being down.... 150 minute wait or something -- so even with express, we were worried we wouldn't be done and ready for the Holiday Tour. Davy wanted to ride the Simpsons. Luckily, my handy-dandy motion sickness prevention patch allows me to enjoy this with no issue. Rode it (and got this great pic of MIB) and then headed to the Music Plaza Stage by RRR.

MIB.jpeg

We checked in... and, they didn't have our name down for the tour. But, I pulled up my email and they said it happens a lot (interesting) but no big deal. They introduced us to our tour guide, John. Then, we were told to pick a spot to view the Macy's parade. After, John would be behind us to lead us to other parts of the tour. They also pointed out a couple of food carts we could get food at. We tried at one to get a pretzel, but the folks in the cart wouldn't help us from the side the VIP area was in. They made us leave and go in the big line. That was fine... even though there was a cash register on the VIP side... only time a team member was kind of rude. But, I was very nice about it and he seemed better when he served me on the other side. I then took our pretzels and settled in to get ready for our night. Took a pic of these classics (I cannot wait for the new park to open BTW with the classics hopefully even more around!):

monsters cafe.jpeg

Our tour coming up!

Day 2 Continued...

I was a tad nervous booking this tour... my son is a big ride guy so I wasn't sure how he'd feel about an evening of just shows and such. But, before the parade started, he told me he was really excited for this. I was so happy! We have seen bits of the parade here and there but this was the first time we sat down for the whole thing. So cute and fun!

Minions!

minions.jpeg

Madagascar!

madagascar.jpeg

Shrek characters!!!!

3 blind mice.jpegdonkey.jpeg
ginger.jpeg
pig.jpegpuss in boots.jpegwolf.jpeg

Don't let this guy crack your nuts -- OUCH!

nutcracker.jpeg

The Big Guy Himeself:

santa 2.jpeg

After the parade, we were off to see How the Grinch Stole Christmas on stage for the first time!

Awww, we had the tour booked but canceled our December trip because we couldn't get my littles double vaxxed in time. The parade looks fantastic though! Maybe next year. Toying with the idea of getting APs to help justify a Christmas trip.

Awww, we had the tour booked but canceled our December trip because we couldn't get my littles double vaxxed in time. The parade looks fantastic though! Maybe next year. Toying with the idea of getting APs to help justify a Christmas trip.
I always think APs are worth it. The tour was amazing -- and the parade was just the start. Easily our favorite part of the trip. I hope you can do it next year. I totally understand putting it off this year.

Day 2 continuing to be continued!

We were off to see Grinch. We snuck through the side entrance from Universal to IOA. Many times, we crisscrossed between parks through the "back way." We could not take pics, but we saw studios where various shows had been filmed, the Hogwarts train actually moving between parks, and underneath RRR.

While waiting for the studio to be ready, we chatted with our guide, John. It turns out, he came from the Jimmy Fallon ride -- a ride my son, for some strange reason, just adores. He doesn't even watch Fallon (we watch the Daily Show and Colbert). Davy quizzed John about Easter Eggs in Fallon and John was happy to oblige. Davy was fascinated with all John told him. John told him some other secrets and Davy hung onto every word.

Then, time for the Grinch! Such a cute show. I loved that they had a real Max! :)

grinch 2.jpeg
grinch 3.jpeggrinch.jpeg

After the show, we had a special Who Q&A. I'm not sure if these were really questions the audience gave beforehand or if they were planned. The Who's answered in character -- and seemed to improvise somewhat. It was kind of cute but went on a tad long for my taste. But, Davy loved it all.

Who Q&A.jpeg

Next up, cookies and hot chocolate with the Grinch. We sat down at Circus McGurkus until our time to go get our treats....

davy circus.jpeg

and got what looked so tasty...

cookies and hot chocoalte.jpeg

... but was so awful! We trashed all of it. Just disgusting and disappointing. The only part of the tour I really did not like.

BUT, the Grinch interaction was fun. He's a hoot!

Davy & Grinch.jpeg

We then headed back to the Universal side to meet Santa on top of the Fallon ride. I have to say, I thought Davy would not be excited about this at all -- but the Santa was absolutely terrific. Asked us how the Grinch behaved and was just wonderful for this "older" family.

santa, davy & me.jpeg

We then got our ornaments from the tree hunt (not that we did the tree hunt....). And, we hung out looking out over the balcony and waving to people below.

We had to wait to go to Hogsmead and Hogwarts to watch the castle Christmas show/fireworkds until the area was swept. John offered to let us shop and meet back in about 30 minutes or he could show us more Easter Eggs. Everyone chose the Easter Eggs as John was quite entertaining. We saw cows in the decorations around where Twister once was. We saw the Ghostbusters wreath (with marshmallows and slime). We saw Earl the Squirrel and heard that story -- it's a good one (I feel like I shouldn't ruin it here, but here is Earl in his hiding spot this year in the tree)!

Earl the Squirrel.jpeg

This whole Easter Egg discussion was probably my favorite part of the tour. John was an excellent tour guide.

We got to see the fireworks at the end of Cinematic Celebration as well.

Finally, we hit Hogsmeade and Davy had one thing on his mind: Honeydukes!

It was fun to be in there with few other people and we bought ALL the treats. We then decided to get hot butterbeer to enjoy while watching the Castle show... and realized the line was REALLY LONG. Poo! No hot butterbeer for me. :( But, we went and sat down in front of Hogwarts and started munching on all of our treats. It was lovely to watch the show without much of a crowd. I didn't stop to take many pictures but just enjoyed the show.

We then walked out of the park. Davy had a long discussion with John about Dr. Seuss and some more inside info about the park. Davy asked John if he had to go back to Fallon after the Holiday Tours were over or if he would stay a tour guide. John said he had put an application in for a day tour guide. Davy and I have done the day tour and know John would be an EXCELLENT guide. I emailed @schumigirl to ask what I could do to help John and she gave me excellent advice I follow on Day 3.....

Attachments

• Davy & Grinch.jpeg
    Davy & Grinch.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 5
Love all the Easter Eggs around the parks....so many of them all over.

I do hope John gets the guide position, hopefully he will, TM appreciate it so much when anyone takes the time to comment.

Enjoying your report so far Alice......

Day 3

This is always an emotional day for me -- my best friend was killed on this day. She wanted to be a travel agent, so I feel that traveling honors her. I started off the morning with a sweet text from her brother. Then, I was determined to have fun.

We started off by watching The Book of Boba Fett. So good!!!!! Disney+ has just nailed the original shows -- that's for sure!

Davy is pretty much done with Disney due to our last trip... (I have a trip report on here, but he was walked in on in the bath even though he had the do not disturb sign on the door and the bathroom door closed -- he would have had the double-lock on, but I had just run downstairs for a few minutes to ship something). He loves Universal rides more as well. I am a HUGE Star Wars fan, however, and wanted to do some shopping so we headed off to Disney Springs. I also saw they had an M&M store there now and Davy always loves those stores... We went and got a couple of cute souvenirs. Then, Davy informed me he didn't really want to go to the M&M store. This shocked me. He sat down for a bit and I decided to get a new pearl ring. My ex husband hid all of my rings when we divorced and I lost my favorite ring -- a black pearl one. They had some settings that came close, but I found a ring that just made me think of happiness. So, I got that.

davy & lando.jpeggrogu shirt.jpegring.jpeg

We then went to Paddlefish to eat... and... were not impressed at all with the food but it was a nice atmosphere and cool views.

Davy Paddlefish.jpeg

We then went back to the room for a bit and then decided to head to the parks. Gringotts was a priority. As we were walking to the ride, I got a text from Jason, my guy. A few months ago, his mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. Turned out to be Stage IV and in her bones... so, the diagnoses was it was not curable, only manageable. She was going to do chemo to try to slow the spread and hopefully shrink it some. Anyway, I got a text from Jason that she just had a scan and the cancer was miraculously COMPLETELY GONE!!!!!! Davy and I were over the moon!!!! Just a complete miracle!!!! I am happy to say she is still doing well and it still appears to be gone. I literally teared up. And, to learn this on a day that is usually one where sadness hangs over me -- it raised my mood beyond belief!

We were then just giddy getting on Gringotts. As always, just excellent. The que, the ride, everything.

gringotts 2.jpeggringotts 3.jpeggringotts.jpeg

We then decided to hit Leaky Cauldron. I expected a long line for dinner -- but there wasn't much of one. BUT, they gave us to the cashier who was really really really slow. I watched four groups being helped while we waited. We got fish and chips again. Not as good as Three Broomsticks.

We hopped on Hogwarts Express to get to IOA as we were set to ride all of the water rides. The sun had gone down so the lines were short (even without express -- really no wait). It was still i the 70s so we were game! We rode Dudley twice (Davy's favorite), then Popeye, then Jurassic River. So much fun. We were a bit cold so got some Harry Potter jerseys. Davy decided to bite the bullet and ride the Velocicoaster. I couldn't bring myself to do it. So, I headed off to do some good.

I went to Customer Service inside IOA. I had to wait a bit. The TM was really happy that I took the time to compliment our tour guide. She took a copy of my driver's license and had me give a statement. She said this would go on John's performance appraisal and would help with any promotions he was trying for. I was happy as I knew he was going for a daytime tour guide. I really hope he gets it!

I waited for Davy by the tower outside of IOA. He said he had a much easier time riding Velocicoaster this time. He was thrilled that my praise may have helped John get the tour guide job. I so hope he gets it. Davy hopes one day we see him and find out!

With that, what started out as a sad day turned out to just be a miraculous, joyful one.

One more note from day 3... we had watched Book of Boba Fett as I mentioned. At one point, while walking in the park, I saw a very tall, very handsome man in a Mandalorian T-shirt. I just walked up to him and asked, "have you watched Book of Boba Fett yet?" He had not, but then we had a nice chat. Davy was CRACKING UP. "Mom, how you are so bold to just go walk up to a stranger and start talking is so funny! And, I know you thought he was cute." Shhhhhh... don't tell Jason! LOL.

Day 4: We once again lounged in the morning, reading and such. I was (and still am) in the middle of three books (I always read three books at once: a Star Wars book (because, nerd), the newest Outlander book (obsessed), and Andrew McCarthy's autobiography (was there anyone cuter in the 80s? But, I just finished Ron and Clint Howard's autobiography which was AMAZING - so this one seems a little flat)). Anyway, I had so much fun reading with nothing nagging in the back of my mind like, "I should be cleaning my house and doing laundry...."

Today, we went to lunch at Red Oven. We had never been before. Davy LOVED it. I thought it was OK. The salad was really yummy, but the pizza was too doughy for me.

It was getting cold back home, so it was fun to show off that we were eating outside.

Davy Red Oven.jpeg

We then decided to catch the Tales of the Beedle Bard in Diagon Alley. We happened to catch this great pic first:

dragon diagon.jpeg

On to the show... these are such great puppet shows. I highly recommend taking the time to watch:

beedle .jpeg
beedle 2.jpegbeedle 3.jpeg

Then, we decided we needed a cinnamon roll. So, we walked back out to City Walk and grabbed a couple from Cinnabon. We headed back to the room to eat and read some more. An hour or two later, we headed back to the park for our last afternoon/evening in the park.

First up, we headed to the Mummy since I did not get to ride it. John had told us about an Easter Egg in the fire room, but I could not find it. Drat. We did for the first time in the express line find some things that would dim lights and do other tricks. Had great fun doing those.

Then, Men In Black. Davy LOVES the chairs down in the immigration room. We toured down there during a VIP tour and he wanted one so badly. I looked to see if I could find any online but nope. It's like the ones Will Smith sits in to take his first written MIB test in the movie I believe. Anyway, I sucked as usual at this. Davy did pretty well. The woman in our car said her son had told her some secrets about how to score. I'm surprised Davy never looked into this -- I know they are online. I just don't care.

Next up, E.T. I said to Davy before the ride that they were taking names again. He was like, "what? What are you talking about?" I said, "remember, used to, you gave your name and E.T. said it at the end of the ride." Davy said, "I don't remember." I said, "remember when Jason was with us and he gave a fake name and you thought that was amazing so you wanted to ride again and again and use the wrong name... you even did it again when came back a year or two later...." (so, he would have been 6 and then 7 or 8.) He had no memory of all about this. We gave our names... rode the cute ride... and.... E.T. did NOT say any names at the end. Sigh....

So, I had read several times previously that @schumigirl liked Confisco Grill (or so I thought).... glad I hadn't read her latest report! LOL. We had not been there since it was a character greet... in 2010. On Monday I had asked around 7ish what the wait time was... it had been like 10 minutes, so I had great hope when we arrived at 7:15 pm for dinner this Thursday -- there was no line at the host stand... and, they said for walk-ins, there was a wait until 9 pm. !!!!! Davy said, "should we go get pizza again?" I said, "hang on a second...." stepped aside, and opened the app and got an online reservation for 7:30 pm!!! So, folks, that is the way to go! So, without much wait, we were in! We got our food... and LOVED IT. I had a pasta dish I remember... I think Davy had a cheese quesadilla or something. Our waitress was a hoot! Davy toasted with his lemonade:

davy confisco.jpeg

so, again, I really liked our waitress... she did not deliver our food -- that person put our food down and RAN... and, I realized I had no silverware! Davy was fine without but I could not eat pasta with my hands... well, I COULD... anyway, took some time to get our waitress's attention but I finally did and she was mortified. She quickly ran and got us silverware. I think this was our 2nd best meal after the fish and chips at Three Broomsticks. Will for sure try again (hopefully Carole's last trip was a fluke). I also did not know there was an upstairs... not that I would have been picky. I just wanted to eat quickly!

We then decided to do Spider-Man. Davy has been on a real Spidey kick lately (who can blame him after the remarkable No Way Home). I don't ever remember Davy enjoying this ride more. It made me enjoy it more too. When we came home, Davy decided to watch one of the animated Spideys -- the one with Mark Hamill (my love!) as Hobgoblin. I may have to watch that myself.

Anyway, we had thought we'd get up and do early entry tomorrow to do Hagrid's. I saw that it was a 60 minute wait at this time of night... I asked Davy if we should just bite the bullet now and ride (as we had never ridden it at night) and just sleep in tomorrow. He was thrilled with this idea. So, off we went. We played 20 questions in line and saw the castle show a couple of times -- once with a really good view while in line. The time seemed to fly by. So, Davy and I have previously ridden twice. Once in each seat. I got a little motion sick on the bike and it was too "big" for my short legs. I liked the sidecar much better (I'm probably the only one). Whereas Davy felt squished in the sidecar, so we were perfectly matched.

I loved this ride (when I did it in the sidecar previously). I still do! MUCH BETTER AT NIGHT! Loved it! And, after, Davy said, "you know, it was really fun playing games with you in line too!" We were so happy... and, a little sad as it was our last night here as we were leaving tomorrow afternoon. I wasn't sure if we'd make it into the park in the morning (I kind of doubted it as Davy said he had done everything he really wanted to and we didn't have express passes).

So, off to bed. I took a long look outside our hotel window (I forgot to mention I picked the 17th floor with a park view --and we could see it ALL -- all the hotels and parks). It was beautiful at night. I was feeling kind of melancholy but overall happy.

Tomorrow.... sometimes plans change.....

Last edited:
One more note from day 3... we had watched Book of Boba Fett as I mentioned. At one point, while walking in the park, I saw a very tall, very handsome man in a Mandalorian T-shirt. I just walked up to him and asked, "have you watched Book of Boba Fett yet?" He had not, but then we had a nice chat. Davy was CRACKING UP. "Mom, how you are so bold to just go walk up to a stranger and start talking is so funny! And, I know you thought he was cute." Shhhhhh... don't tell Jason! LOL.

Day 4: We once again lounged in the morning, reading and such. I was (and still am) in the middle of three books (I always read three books at once: a Star Wars book (because, nerd), the newest Outlander book (obsessed), and Andrew McCarthy's autobiography (was there anyone cuter in the 80s? But, I just finished Ron and Clint Howard's autobiography which was AMAZING - so this one seems a little flat)). Anyway, I had so much fun reading with nothing nagging in the back of my mind like, "I should be cleaning my house and doing laundry...."

Today, we went to lunch at Red Oven. We had never been before. Davy LOVED it. I thought it was OK. The salad was really yummy, but the pizza was too doughy for me.

It was getting cold back home, so it was fun to show off that we were eating outside.

View attachment 637145

We then decided to catch the Tales of the Beedle Bard in Diagon Alley. We happened to catch this great pic first:

View attachment 637149

On to the show... these are such great puppet shows. I highly recommend taking the time to watch:

View attachment 637152
View attachment 637153View attachment 637154

Then, we decided we needed a cinnamon roll. So, we walked back out to City Walk and grabbed a couple from Cinnabon. We headed back to the room to eat and read some more. An hour or two later, we headed back to the park for our last afternoon/evening in the park.

First up, we headed to the Mummy since I did not get to ride it. John had told us about an Easter Egg in the fire room, but I could not find it. Drat. We did for the first time in the express line find some things that would dim lights and do other tricks. Had great fun doing those.

Then, Men In Black. Davy LOVES the chairs down in the immigration room. We toured down there during a VIP tour and he wanted one so badly. I looked to see if I could find any online but nope. It's like the ones Will Smith sits in to take his first written MIB test in the movie I believe. Anyway, I sucked as usual at this. Davy did pretty well. The woman in our car said her son had told her some secrets about how to score. I'm surprised Davy never looked into this -- I know they are online. I just don't care.

Next up, E.T. I said to Davy before the ride that they were taking names again. He was like, "what? What are you talking about?" I said, "remember, used to, you gave your name and E.T. said it at the end of the ride." Davy said, "I don't remember." I said, "remember when Jason was with us and he gave a fake name and you thought that was amazing so you wanted to ride again and again and use the wrong name... you even did it again when came back a year or two later...." (so, he would have been 6 and then 7 or 8.) He had no memory of all about this. We gave our names... rode the cute ride... and.... E.T. did NOT say any names at the end. Sigh....

So, I had read several times previously that @schumigirl liked Confisco Grill (or so I thought).... glad I hadn't read her latest report! LOL. We had not been there since it was a character greet... in 2010. On Monday I had asked around 7ish what the wait time was... it had been like 10 minutes, so I had great hope when we arrived at 7:15 pm for dinner this Thursday -- there was no line at the host stand... and, they said for walk-ins, there was a wait until 9 pm. !!!!! Davy said, "should we go get pizza again?" I said, "hang on a second...." stepped aside, and opened the app and got an online reservation for 7:30 pm!!! So, folks, that is the way to go! So, without much wait, we were in! We got our food... and LOVED IT. I had a pasta dish I remember... I think Davy had a cheese quesadilla or something. Our waitress was a hoot! Davy toasted with his lemonade:

View attachment 637171

so, again, I really liked our waitress... she did not deliver our food -- that person put our food down and RAN... and, I realized I had no silverware! Davy was fine without but I could not eat pasta with my hands... well, I COULD... anyway, took some time to get our waitress's attention but I finally did and she was mortified. She quickly ran and got us silverware. I think this was our 2nd best meal after the fish and chips at Three Broomsticks. Will for sure try again (hopefully Carole's last trip was a fluke). I also did not know there was an upstairs... not that I would have been picky. I just wanted to eat quickly!

We then decided to do Spider-Man. Davy has been on a real Spidey kick lately (who can blame him after the remarkable No Way Home). I don't ever remember Davy enjoying this ride more. It made me enjoy it more too. When we came home, Davy decided to watch one of the animated Spideys -- the one with Mark Hamill (my love!) as Hobgoblin. I may have to watch that myself.

Anyway, we had thought we'd get up and do early entry tomorrow to do Hagrid's. I saw that it was a 60 minute wait at this time of night... I asked Davy if we should just bite the bullet now and ride (as we had never ridden it at night) and just sleep in tomorrow. He was thrilled with this idea. So, off we went. We played 20 questions in line and saw the castle show a couple of times -- once with a really good view while in line. The time seemed to fly by. So, Davy and I have previously ridden twice. Once in each seat. I got a little motion sick on the bike and it was too "big" for my short legs. I liked the sidecar much better (I'm probably the only one). Whereas Davy felt squished in the sidecar, so we were perfectly matched.

I loved this ride (when I did it in the sidecar previously). I still do! MUCH BETTER AT NIGHT! Loved it! And, after, Davy said, "you know, it was really fun playing games with you in line too!" We were so happy... and, a little sad as it was our last night here as we were leaving tomorrow afternoon. I wasn't sure if we'd make it into the park in the morning (I kind of doubted it as Davy said he had done everything he really wanted to and we didn't have express passes).

So, off to bed. I took a long look outside our hotel window (I forgot to mention I picked the 17th floor with a park view --and we could see it ALL -- all the hotels and parks). It was beautiful at night. I was feeling kind of melancholy but overall happy.

Tomorrow.... sometimes plans change.....

Alice, we`d still recommend Confisco anyday of the week. It was just a fluke as we had a lovely meal later in the trip and as I said, all our meals and service from there have always been fabulous.

I never got the fuss for Red Oven, we did try it once as a snack really to say we`d tried it, but not for us. There are so many better options.

Oh yes, I`d talk to a stranger too......and both my guys wouldn`t bat an eyelid as they`re used to folks coming up to us and chatting, and I`ve always been the chatty sort anyway......funny Davy thought it was well, funny......lol......although don`t laugh.....but you know me......I had no clue who this boba guy was till recently.....Keisha updated me, but, in all honesty I don`t know Star Wars from a jar of olives......:confused3

Looking forward to more and changes of plans are always interesting......lol

Alice, we`d still recommend Confisco anyday of the week. It was just a fluke as we had a lovely meal later in the trip and as I said, all our meals and service from there have always been fabulous.

I never got the fuss for Red Oven, we did try it once as a snack really to say we`d tried it, but not for us. There are so many better options.

Oh yes, I`d talk to a stranger too......and both my guys wouldn`t bat an eyelid as they`re used to folks coming up to us and chatting, and I`ve always been the chatty sort anyway......funny Davy thought it was well, funny......lol......although don`t laugh.....but you know me......I had no clue who this boba guy was till recently.....Keisha updated me, but, in all honesty I don`t know Star Wars from a jar of olives......:confused3

Looking forward to more and changes of plans are always interesting......lol

I'm so happy the not-so-great experience at Confisco was a fluke!

I chat all of the time with folks too -- and Davy is used to that. I think this time he thought it was extra funny as we were walking one way and the guy was walking another and I just marched right up to him. LOL. but, hey, I had something to say about that jar of olives! Tee hee.

Day 5:

Our flight was scheduled to leave around 6 pm today. First, I ran downstairs to get some treats from the Starbucks in the hotel... then, we snuggled in to watch the first episode of Cobra Kai season 4. We are HUGE fans. For Christmas, Davy's favorite present was the frame of the awesome pics we got when he met some of the cast (which was one of Davy's favorite times ever!). We figured we'd watch a couple more once we got home tonight and the rest on New Year's Day.

cobra kai framed.jpg

Davy suggested we see Sing 2 before we left. Last trip here, we did something I thought I'd never do and saw a movie at the movie theaters at City Walk. After all -- why go to a movie when you could do that at home? But, it was a nice little relaxing time last time before our flight. So, why not do it again? Davy and I loved the first Sing movie and Davy knew I REALLY wanted to see Sing 2 because Bono is in it -- and I am a HUGE HUGE HUGE U2 fan. Have been for something like 37 years. I usually don't get too emotional in movies... unless they're cartoons. For some reason, those usually get me in the feels. Add Bono and a heartbreaking backstory... whew boy! Well, we loved the movie. There was only us and one other family in the theater.

We got out and Davy begged for pizza again from Red Oven. So, we did that. I decided I needed some VooDoo donuts for the road (Davy does not like donuts because he's insane. LOL) I mobile ordered them (can I say how incredibly helpful it is to have a separate mobile order pickup site -- when we were here in June, it was a complete pain) and then zipped through one of the Universal Studios stores one last time before we took off.... and then, got a text that our flight was canceled! What?!?!? I knew flights on other airlines had been canceled but had not heard Southwest was having the same problems. So, I grabbed the donuts and then grabbed Davy. We sat in the shade by Cinnabon as I tried to sort things out. First, I texted Tony Hinds. He was shocked they canceled so late.

Then, I called Southwest.... they had rebooked Davy and I on separate flights the next day. Well,that's not going to work. I was booked on a nonstop flight. I asked if Davy could be moved to that flight. Nope, not one more seat So, we got a flight that went through D.C. (out of the way!) but we stay on the same plane. Ok.... leaving the next day. So, I asked the southwest rep what hotel they're going to put us up in. She said, "oh, the cancelation is due to weather... so, we don't pay for hotels when that is the case." ??? So, there was no weather where we were... and the weather was dry and in the 50s in KC -- whereas the next day, they were expecting a storm..... But, she insisted there was weather. So, I got the flight booked.

Then, I tried to get a room for the night at a Universal hotel. All booked up! I called the DoubleTree we were at. Booked - but they found us a room at a nearby Hampton Inn for $500 that night. I was like, "$500 FOR A ROOM AT A HAMPTON INN?!?!?" The guy was like, "this is very last minute you know!' I finally found a hotel that looked nice and got good reviews: Melia Orlando Celebration Hotel. It was fairly pricey but it was a lot less than the Hampton and looked so much nicer. I then called Southwest back after checking the weather between central Florida and Kansas City -- there was NOTHING going on. I asked how they would reimburse me for the room. The representative repeated that there was "weather" so the airline could not pay for a hotel. I said I had checked -- there was no weather. Obviously, they were understaffed but claimed weather so they didn't have to pay for accommodations. She then yelled at me that the airline cared about the safety of their passengers and I had to accept that. !!!!!

I of course immediately emailed the airline complaining. I did eventually get a voucher for the cost of the hotel and a big apology.

Anyway, we checked out of the Double Tree and the bellhop offered to get us a ride. I should have declined. An uber or lyft would have been about half the cost I think.

Oh well - the driver was nice. The hotel had apparently once been a hospital our driver told us.

When we got there, the front desk informed us there would be a NYE's pool party that night. Davy had NO interest in that.

We LOVED the room. It was HUGE. I should have taken pictures. There was a full kitchen, living room, and separate bathroom. It's in Celebration or near it. Davy asked if we could just stay in our nice room and binge the rest of Cobra Kai. Of course! We did take a break to eat dinner at the hotel as well. It was pretty good.

Then, I ate all of my Voo Doo donuts... they were not as good as the Portland version unfortunately. I took a pic after I ate the two best donuts. Still, they do look amazing.

voo doo.jpg

Cobra Kai season 4 did not disappoint. Glad the party was going on because we were being pretty loud cheering and yelling at the screen while watching. We finshed the whole season then went to bed around 10:30 pm I think -- although Davy kept talking about the show off and on.... and apparently was so excited about it he stayed up because he woke me up again at midnight. LOL. Still, I felt pretty good about our NYE.

I knew a storm was coming tomorrow... and, I kind of hoped we would be stuck yet another day in 80 degree weather....... I looked and Sapphire Falls had a room at a really good AP price for the night..... was a good bet since there really would be "weather" tomorrow.....

Last edited:
Day 6:

I woke up ready to see our flight canceled and.... nothing.... Tony picked us up at 11 am. The wind chill was below 0 in KC. There was supposed to be a storm coming to KC and in lots of parts of the country. I was just sure we'd get to the airport and be delayed. Or, get to D.C. and get stuck. @kittylady72 said if we had gotten stuck there, she would have come for us. <3

Davy wanted to get back. He was going to miss his cross country team's run in the snow (which sounded like complete hell to me) already. I knew he wanted some down-time before school started back again. But, still, in awful weather instead of this... (the front of our last hotel):

celebration.jpg

We get to the airport, buy some snacks, and begin our wait. I still have books to read anyway. We sat near a guy who somehow started talking to us about Cobra Kai. Then, he noticed Davy was actually wearing a Cobra Kai t-shirt. Then, he saw my Andrew McCarthy book and we discussed that for a bit. Killed some time... then, we got word our plane was there but had a mechanical problem so we had to switch planes. I was hopeful just for a moment that we were going to get to stay in Orlando another night... nope.....

Went to another gate. I decided to go to Starbucks. Davy asked for a blueberry muffin if they had one. It was a long line but what else was I going to do? I waited. Davy thought it was the best blueberry muffin ever. LOL. We then got word that our new plane had a "minor" mechanical problem... but, they thought they could fix it quickly. Swell.... so, we took off two hours late.....

We got to D.C. and everything appeared clear for takeoff.

Meanwhile, it did not snow as much in KC as they thought, but the roads were HORRIBLE. I live about 45 minutes from the airport.... we were planning on getting back when it was 50 degrees so we had light jackets. Now, it was going to be freezing, so Jason wanted to make sure that he got there in time to pick us up. Also, he didn't realize there was a lot he could park in until we texted him we had landed. SO, he ended up taking a long time to get there and then just circling for hours... so he was in the car for 2.5 hours.

We land.... go to the luggage belt and I see our plane that just landed. Covered and snow and ice. So, yesterday was weather and this wasn't!?!?!?! We then waited AN HOUR for our luggage. So painful.

FINALLY, we got it and we were out to meet Jason. Seeing him made coming home worth it. We start driving but it's so cold that the windshield keeps icing up so we had to stop at one point to scrape the ice off. It took over an hour to get home. We finally got home 11 hours after Tony had picked us up. Sigh.... but, Davy was happy to be home and I was happy to see Jason.

Davy mentioned to me as we were leaving Orlando that we probably only have time for one more trip before he's off to college. (We're hoping to go to England next summer, COVID-willing and I don't have him quite as long next Christmas break....) It kind of broke my heart to hear that. But, this was such a fantastic trip. We didn't go-go-go as we usually do, but it was just such a complete vacation -- I didn't need a vacation from our vacation.

The next week, I got sick (got a COVID test -- negative... my doctor figured it was some 24-hour bug and it was), I had a colonoscopy, and it was horribly cold here. I really wish I could have had one more warm-day memory to think about, but it was still an amazing time at Universal.
Until next time!!!!

Loved your great trip report! Talk about 6 degrees of separation…I’m from KC and live in Celebration now. So I am glad to know you enjoyed the Melia Also your grandson / and your trip reminds me of my recent trip w/ my gs at MK … want to go to Universal next holiday.
And the Jimmy Fallon is my favorite except I’m always calling it JimmyKimmel haha. And I love the Grinch more than Mickey …
I might have to borrow your 3 Blind Mice picture in parade. I couldn’t ever get one !
Happy New Year!

Alice, what an end to your trip with the plane fiasco! I`m glad an email worked and you got some kind of return on the hotel costs, but what bad customer service form them....no excuse for rudeness despite how understaffed they were.

I like the sound of few folks in the cinema......makes the cinema sound like an idea (I usually hate cinemas due to other people) but glad it was quiet for you.

But, what a lovely trip you had......you had some lovely times with Davy too which is extra special and I really enjoyed reading about it.

Hope you do get to come to England next year......that would be a lovely trip for you and your wonderful son!!

Thanks for doing your trip report Alice, it was a good read!

Loved your great trip report! Talk about 6 degrees of separation…I’m from KC and live in Celebration now. So I am glad to know you enjoyed the Melia Also your grandson / and your trip reminds me of my recent trip w/ my gs at MK … want to go to Universal next holiday.
And the Jimmy Fallon is my favorite except I’m always calling it JimmyKimmel haha. And I love the Grinch more than Mickey …
I might have to borrow your 3 Blind Mice picture in parade. I couldn’t ever get one !
Happy New Year!
Thank you! He's actually my son, but he does remind me constantly I am technically old enough to be his gradma. LOL.

I think you and my son are the only two that love Jimmy (what's-his-name!). :)

The tour gave us a great viewing spot of the parade! I'm excited about our pics!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter