Strange issue with GC

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
We’re at WDW now and had GC to cover th trip
So today we were at earl of sandwich at Disney springs
Tried 3 times to get the GC to work
The first time it gave a balance of the GC
So we just used our regular CC which went through right away
So now were hoping we didn’t get charged twice since the GC gave a balance but didn’t let the charge go through and then the CC of course did go through
Is there any way that Disney gift cards can see where they were spent
Thanks

The last time I was there the same thing happened to me. Neither a gift card or the Disney Visa Rewards card worked at Epcot making me pay with a credit card. I tried again next at Disney Springs and the employee at Morimoto Asia said that they couldn't be used but a regular credit card was no problem. I then tried to use the Rewards Card to buy tickets to Haunted Mansion at an AMC theater last year and it didn't work again. I've always assumed it was a scam to make you buy gift cards or accumulate rewards points and then not actually use them so this sounds about right.

I have found that non disney owned properties usually can't take a disney GC and sometimes can take disney rewards redepmtion cards (but it varies) I just charge everything back to my room and pay with GC's/rewards card every couple of days at the front desk (never had an issue doing it this way!)

I've always assumed it was a scam to make you buy gift cards or accumulate rewards points and then not actually use them so this sounds about right.
I've never had a problem using my Disney Visa Rewards Redemption Card onsite at WDW, though I do think that some non-WDW-owned restaurants/shops don't accept it. I've also never tried to buy movie tickets, but I think you have to purchase through a certain link to use the Rewards Redemption Card. Over the years (Day 1 member) we've used thousands of Reward dollars, and never once used the rewards to buy a gift card. Definitely not a scam.

The last time I was there the same thing happened to me. Neither a gift card or the Disney Visa Rewards card worked at Epcot making me pay with a credit card. I tried again next at Disney Springs and the employee at Morimoto Asia said that they couldn't be used but a regular credit card was no problem. I then tried to use the Rewards Card to buy tickets to Haunted Mansion at an AMC theater last year and it didn't work again. I've always assumed it was a scam to make you buy gift cards or accumulate rewards points and then not actually use them so this sounds about right.
I just charge to my resort and then I'll go to the front desk to pay charges with the Gift card and the rewards card and it has always worked.

I have used Magic bands at Morimoto Asia multiple times with no issues.
I have never tried AMC but to me the rewards card is for disney trips and would not use if for a movie even if it was a Disney movie.

I have found that non disney owned properties usually can't take a disney GC and sometimes can take disney rewards redepmtion cards (but it varies) I just charge everything back to my room and pay with GC's/rewards card every couple of days at the front desk (never had an issue doing it this way!)
I should have read yours before hitting reply would have saved some typing :)

I just charge to my resort and then I'll go to the front desk to pay charges with the Gift card and the rewards card and it has always worked.

I have used Magic bands at Morimoto Asia multiple times with no issues.
I have never tried AMC but to me the rewards card is for disney trips and would not use if for a movie even if it was a Disney movie.
This is what I do too. Sometimes they have to reverse a folio charge to my credit card but it always turns out OK.

It's not a scam. However
-sometimes the processing system goes down (if nobody in EP took your Rewards card or gift cards the system was down and you were lucky to even be able to pay with a cc, the next payment outage level leaves them on cash only- we've only seen that a couple times but it can happen)
-not all 3rd party vendors accept MBs/GCs and even when they do their own employees don't realize it half the time and you have to escalate it (I call ahead if I'm not certain, that way if an employee says they don't I know that I am not out of line asking for a manager to handle it)
-sometimes the 3rd party system for accepting MBs/GCs go down, this happens too often for my liking so I know to have a cc on hand for Joffrey's carts in the parks and Disney Springs vendors

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter