Strategies for adults: A comentary

smjj

Been there done that going back now as DVC member
You know, I read these boards every day more than once usually. I read threads about how Disney has changed, some say for the better and some say or worst. Both are right and both are wrong. We have changed just as much. We started going to WDW in the early 70's without the kids. We then took several years off to raise your kids and were to money strapped to go to WDW. When they were 7 and 9 we started taking them about every other year and did the family routes. By that I mean Fantasy land, The Pirates of the Carribean, Tom Sawyer Island. You get the picture. All this time we were on a very tight budget and pretty much did those things we though the kids would enjoy and bypassed the attractions and restaurants we parents wanted to visit. The last 4 of trips with the kids we stayed onsite and tried to stay at a different resort each time but still did the family thing and loved each and every minute of it. I have complete videos of most of our trips. Now we are empty nesters and believe it or not, we enjoy WDW just as much if not more. We now stay where we want(Poly, Wilderness Lodge and POR) and do what we want(eat at all the restaurants and go to all the dinner shows). We set aside a day or so to just visit the other resorts to see if we want to stay there the next time. We in short are enjoying ourselfs. We are stopping to just look at the flowers without a kids hanging off us wanting to go swimming or crying bacause we have run them into the ground, it's great. Now we are thinking ahead to our grandchildren and looking forward to going down with them. I guess the circle will then be complete and I am sure we will enjoy it just as much. Has Disney changed, you bet but I think no more than us..smjj

Smjj...thanks for this post. I am in the middle of the "kids hanging off of me" phase and love MOST every minute of it!!!;)

But I also look forward to the day when DH and I can take "OUR" trips....and then when we will be able to see the World through our grandchildren's eyes.

Change can be good.....

Great comment, smjj. My wife and I just returned from Disney. We are in our 30s and have no kids yet. We wanted to do Disney as adults before we had kids. We know it's different when you go with children and we wanted to do the adult things while we could. Now, we're looking forward to going back in a number of years with children.

What a great commentary! DH and I used to visit WDW for two or three days almost every year before the kids arrived. That was back when we were DINKS (Dual Income No Kids). Since then, we've only been twice -- once when DS#1 was a year, and once when the boys were 2 and 4 -- and that was only for a few days.

This trip should be great as boys are now 7 and 9. No diapers, no strollers, no naps...

But...I confess...I still look forward to when DH and I can sneak off to WDW alone. Have ya ever seen the commercial where the business-attired son is on the phone begging his mom to let him go with them to Disney? LOL.

1977 - off site with parents
1989 - Ft. W.
1990 - GF Honeymoom!
1991 - Palace
1992 - PO
1993 - DL
1995 - CBR
1998 - Ft. W.
2003 - 3 bdrm townhouse off site

This December I did my 8th trip since 1993. I don't have any children at all, and I'm now 49. I have never, ever, found WDW boring. Some of my co-workers cannot understand why in the world I would go to the same place year after year.
I have had the first 4 trips with my DH, and the last 4 trips were completly solo. (Hubby really hates to travel )

I have all intention of going at least once per year for the rest of my life !!

Great attitude, smjj !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter