Strategy for Booking Popular Rooms at 7-Months

I'm not questing your experience, but I'm still not understanding where you are saying the slow down happens. If you only select the resort you want before hitting check availability then it will be at the top of your screen.

Also, if you actually look at your point activity if you are "modifying" a reservation, the original gets cancelled and the new one gets booked (so nothing is actually being "modified"). There should be no difference between a new reservation and modifying. Again, not questioning what you've seen, it just does not make sense to me.
My guess is that when modifying a reservation there must be some more checks etc done before the new dates and resort are being put on hold as with a normal new reservation.

Unfortunately I can’t explain the technical part of changing dates resorts etc as only Disney knows that but it’s faster when booking a new reservation compared to changing an existing.

My guess is that when modifying a reservation there must be some more checks etc done before the new dates and resort are being put on hold as with a normal new reservation.

Unfortunately I can’t explain the technical part of changing dates resorts etc as only Disney knows that but it’s faster when booking a new reservation compared to changing an existing.

I have not noticed that at all when booking.

Have you switched room and resort at the 8 am mark? And on top at a resort at great demand?
Sure have! When I book anything or modify anything popular...like my VGF and RIV reservations in early December...its right at the window.

But, never noticed any difference to book a new reservation than to modify an existing one.

I know this wasn’t directed at me, but I have many times. Hence my confusion.

Sure have! When I book anything or modify anything popular...like my VGF and RIV reservations in early December...its right at the window.

But, never noticed any difference to book a new reservation than to modify an existing one.

Reason for me saying is that I have absolutely no issues getting either BWV standard, AKV value or Club level rooms right at the 8am mark when making a new reservation.

However when I try to modify a reservation either at the 7 month mark or push a reservation to the 11 month mark both at 8am then I’m getting shut out.

This leads me to believe that either there are more checks or a delay of some sort causing more time to be required to do the change.

I’m sure if I did the same action at a resort which wasn’t in high demand then I wouldn’t have any issues.

Reason for me saying is that I have absolutely no issues getting either BWV standard, AKV value or Club level rooms right at the 8am mark when making a new reservation.

However when I try to modify a reservation either at the 7 month mark or push a reservation to the 11 month mark both at 8am then I’m getting shut out.
You have a lot more competition for far fewer rooms at the 7 month mark. You also may have owners who decide at the last minute to book so they can do it before 8:00.

This leads me to believe that either there are more checks or a delay of some sort causing more time to be required to do the change.

I’m sure if I did the same action at a resort which wasn’t in high demand then I wouldn’t have any issues.

Well, it could be those specific rooms as they are at the top of the list when it comes to booking.

But, there are plenty of people out there who are getting shut out of those two rooms every single day when making a brand new reservation. And others who have been successful in getting them when modifying instead.

Bumping this thread back up because I had the same question. This will be my first time attempting to book a room at 7 months (and it's hard to get.) I searched for past threads and some of the older ones were mentioning hitting the "continue" button right at 8 am after you've searched your resort/room. This thread is saying you have to search for your resort/room right at 8 am though. Is that the case?

Also, I see people in the older threads saying they select a party of 1 just to get through the booking process quicker (and then modify later to add the rest of the party.) Is there any upside in doing that? I thought once you got to that screen the reservation was essentially being held for you for a few minutes anyway...

^Your reservation is supposed to be locked in if you get to the page to list guests, However, having many years of experience with the website, I have learned not to trust anything, e.g., there seems to always be some risk that the system may break down moments before you get to the end of the process and lose what you have. Thus, I usually just skip adding additional guests until doing a modification later.

It used to be that you could put in required info and then hit the continue button at 8. But apparently Disney IT thought it needed to create more consternation among members and now you have to wait until 8 to begin the process.

^Your reservation is supposed to be locked in if you get to the page to list guests, However, having many years of experience with the website, I have learned not to trust anything, e.g., there seems to always be some risk that the system may break down moments before you get to the end of the process and lose what you have. Thus, I usually just skip adding additional guests until doing a modification later.

It used to be that you could put in required info and then hit the continue button at 8. But apparently Disney IT thought it needed to create more consternation among members and now you have to wait until 8 to begin the process.
Thanks for the clarification!!

So I need tips and tricks from the experts on how I can increase my speed navigating right at 8 am. I was able to snag a room in Disneyland a few days ago, but have not been successful getting what I want at Aulani (I really thought Disneyland was going to be tougher!) I think I'm taking too long on the screens where it asks in what order it should pull from each contract and then the borrowing screen. Anything that you do to get through this portion quicker? Also, at which point is the reservation "held" for you for a few minutes? I know it's definitely not during either of those screens... I was able to get an Ocean View 1 bedroom for less nights, but it's not really what I want and I'm wondering if I should just cancel it so it doesn't slow me down more trying to modify it? I have 2-3 more days left to be flexible with dates, so a few more tries....

So I need tips and tricks from the experts on how I can increase my speed navigating right at 8 am. I was able to snag a room in Disneyland a few days ago, but have not been successful getting what I want at Aulani (I really thought Disneyland was going to be tougher!) I think I'm taking too long on the screens where it asks in what order it should pull from each contract and then the borrowing screen. Anything that you do to get through this portion quicker? Also, at which point is the reservation "held" for you for a few minutes? I know it's definitely not during either of those screens... I was able to get an Ocean View 1 bedroom for less nights, but it's not really what I want and I'm wondering if I should just cancel it so it doesn't slow me down more trying to modify it? I have 2-3 more days left to be flexible with dates, so a few more tries....
You cannot search, "check availability on initial search or update from the search screen". Based on your device speed (PC or phone) and your connection speed, you might be able to check availability 2-3 seconds before 8:00:00.
You then rapidly expand the desired category and hit "continue". There are 3 outcomes...
1) You searched too soon - message about booking starting at 8:00:00.
2) Cryptic error about room not available - someone else hit continue before you and the room is no longer available in inventory.
3) WINNER - select contracts. You now have 10 minutes to complete the reservation. Any Disney IT error here and you lose the hold (dwarves, olaf.....). I think it will show available again at 8:10:00.

You can start from scratch or from modifying your 1BR. I would modify your 1BR. Before "8:00:00" you can hit modify, room details, and prepopulate the new reservation details, just do not hit "continue". If you fail to get a room, or IT messes up, you do not lose your current reservation. It is safe all the way up to the final confirmation page. In fact, for me, even when that final confirmation errors on the modify, I do not get the new room, but keep my original room.

You cannot search, "check availability on initial search or update from the search screen". Based on your device speed (PC or phone) and your connection speed, you might be able to check availability 2-3 seconds before 8:00:00.
You then rapidly expand the desired category and hit "continue". There are 3 outcomes...
1) You searched too soon - message about booking starting at 8:00:00.
2) Cryptic error about room not available - someone else hit continue before you and the room is no longer available in inventory.
3) WINNER - select contracts. You now have 10 minutes to complete the reservation. Any Disney IT error here and you lose the hold (dwarves, olaf.....). I think it will show available again at 8:10:00.

You can start from scratch or from modifying your 1BR. I would modify your 1BR. Before "8:00:00" you can hit modify, room details, and prepopulate the new reservation details, just do not hit "continue". If you fail to get a room, or IT messes up, you do not lose your current reservation. It is safe all the way up to the final confirmation page. In fact, for me, even when that final confirmation errors on the modify, I do not get the new room, but keep my original room.
#2 is what I'm dealing with, so I think I'm just not quick enough. I think my connection is pretty good (we have the highest internet speed available), but I'm taking too long scrolling to the room type, expanding, reselecting the dates (why is it having me do that when I already put them in before hitting search? maybe it's already gone by then?) and then selecting the order of the contracts and the borrowing question. I think I'll try modifying tomorrow. Appreciate the advice!

reselecting the dates (why is it having me do that when I already put them in before hitting search?
Dont reselect the dates - one of the booking engine’s most annoying and misleading features is that when you first put in your dates, you select your desired checkin and checkout dates, but on that next screen when you expand the dates, it shows the nights you’ve selected. So when you find the room type and then expand, if the correct nights are selected, click on Continue. Then the reservation will be held while you choose contracts and fill in the guests.

Dont reselect the dates - one of the booking engine’s most annoying and misleading features is that when you first put in your dates, you select your desired checkin and checkout dates, but on that next screen when you expand the dates, it shows the nights you’ve selected. So when you find the room type and then expand, if the correct nights are selected, click on Continue. Then the reservation will be held while you choose contracts and fill in the guests.
Thanks for the tip! This might save me a few seconds.

Good luck tomorrow morning! Let us know how it goes!
No luck this morning, but at least it was not my fault this time. Availability for the 1 bed Island Garden View on the 17th was taken by an Aulani owner when I checked before 8 am so I couldn't do anything because of the gap (and didn't want to bother trying for just the 16th; my preferred check-in date is really the 17th or 18th.) There's been some movement today and it's back now, so I'm going to try again in the morning. If I have to start booking 1 day at a time, starting tomorrow I think I will, although this is going to make it more complicated with trying to modify my existing reservation. I'll have to shave a day off of that first so I have enough points for 1 night separate.

No luck this morning, but at least it was not my fault this time. Availability for the 1 bed Island Garden View on the 17th was taken by an Aulani owner when I checked before 8 am so I couldn't do anything because of the gap (and didn't want to bother trying for just the 16th; my preferred check-in date is really the 17th or 18th.) There's been some movement today and it's back now, so I'm going to try again in the morning. If I have to start booking 1 day at a time, starting tomorrow I think I will, although this is going to make it more complicated with trying to modify my existing reservation. I'll have to shave a day off of that first so I have enough points for 1 night separate.
I had success today - 7 nights in a 1 bed IG view booked! I felt like I was much quicker getting through the screens, but I'll never be certain if I was fast enough because the room type was still available well after 8 am after I'd booked it already LOL.

I had success today - 7 nights in a 1 bed IG view booked! I felt like I was much quicker getting through the screens, but I'll never be certain if I was fast enough because the room type was still available well after 8 am after I'd booked it already LOL.
No matter, you booked what you wanted, right? Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter