Student Loan/Financial Aid questions....

This may not be a popular opinion, but I'd look at options that don't require student loans. If she's receiving a Pell Grant, she could almost certainly attend a community college and pay nothing out of pocket. I fully understand that's probably not what she wants to do ... but when you're looking at borrowing, it's wise to consider all options.

You say she's going to school for nursing? My oldest just graduated with a BS-RN, and I can tell you a few things about nursing -- it's a tricky major in a couple ways, and one of those ways is money:

- She will do her first two years of general degree requirements -- some of the biggest requirements being Chemistry 1 & 2 and Anatomy-Phys 1 & 2 ... be sure to spread those out over 4 semesters. It's essential that she finishes ALL her general degree requirements in the first two years so that she's ready for Nursing School in her Junior & Senior years. This distinction makes it easy to do two years at community college.
- In her second semester Sophomore year, she'll need to apply to Nursing School. This is competitive; over 150 kids applied at my daughter's school ... 44 were accepted. My daughter had two Bs in her first two years, and she says she was dead-average for those accepted to Nursing School, so it is important that your daughter's grades are top-notch from Day 1. Why do they accept so few? Because they have to provide clinical experiences for the kids in Nursing School, and they will only accept the number of kids for whom they can provide those experiences. They only have so many hospitals, so many sick people, etc.
- Between sophomore and junior year she'll almost certainly be required to attend a summer school session. This is expensive, and no financial aid is available for summer school. At the same time, she'll be required to buy school nursing scrubs (my daughter's were ridiculously expensive -- $90/set plus a lab coat and a jacket). At the end of this summer school, she'll have a CNA-2 license (that's Certified Nursing Assistant, level 2).
- Junior year she'll spend a lot of time in the school's simulation lab ... but she'll also start some Clinicals, which means she'll need her own transportation.
- Senior year she'll spend most of her time in Clinicals, which she will probably like ... but it means a lot of driving for her (some of my daughter's assignments were over an hour away from the school, but that might've been because of her location). It also means a lot of nickel-and-diming for you: an ID card, paid parking sometimes, drug tests, finger printing. Really, it's something every time you turn around.
- Working at the college health center would be a good college job for any nursing major. It was very good for my daughter.

However, of the 44 kids who started Nursing School with my daughter, 40 finished. At graduation, 40 already had jobs promised. Not a bad ratio.

If this involves more than one school, say a community college then transferring to a State College or University, BE SURE that the classes transfer. DD had issues getting classes from one California State University transferring to another California State University. She had to fight to get the ones she needed for her degree accepted. 2 she did not need were lost. How a class cannot transfer when you are in the same University system is beyond me.

If this involves more than one school, say a community college then transferring to a State College or University, BE SURE that the classes transfer. DD had issues getting classes from one California State University transferring to another California State University. She had to fight to get the ones she needed for her degree accepted. 2 she did not need were lost. How a class cannot transfer when you are in the same University system is beyond me.
Also, in our state (Kentucky), university scholarship money is much more generous for freshmen than for transfer students. We were told that many times over. Also, I think it's kind of hard for OP to change their mind this late. My son moves in in 3 weeks.

Also, in our state (Kentucky), university scholarship money is much more generous for freshmen than for transfer students. We were told that many times over. Also, I think it's kind of hard for OP to change their mind this late. My son moves in in 3 weeks.
That is interesting about Kentucky. In California, going back 50 years when our colleges were revamped, the push is to give transfer students.....if they are coming from a community college....a leg up....getting into a State University or UC.

That is interesting about Kentucky. In California, going back 50 years when our colleges were revamped, the push is to give transfer students.....if they are coming from a community college....a leg up....getting into a State University or UC.
Back in the dark ages when I went to college there was very little money unless you were top of the class or low income. Now most universities here take a combination of GPA and ACT score and offer scholarships. My son got a nice scholarship and we decided together for him to go away. One reason was because if he decided to transfer back home he would have housing covered and his KEES money would follow him, even though he would lose the big institutional scholarship. The money outlay would still be less. If he decided to start out local then transfer, there would be no institutional scholarship to take with him. His award is $6000 at the school he chose plus $2300 in KEES money per year and tuition is about $9000 at either place. Going away we have to cover room and board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter