Studio coffee mugs

mikki.young

Knows Dreams do come true!
Have you seen the thread on DVC miscellaneous about the mugs and glasses being taken out of studios? I don't like the sound of this!

I am disturbed by this and sent in my views to Member Satisfaction a couple of days ago - had the automated response but no proper reply yet.

Contact details: DVCMemberSatisfactionTeam@disneyvacationclub.com

As I've previously posted, I intend to get an Owner's Locker on my next visit and so will always have own coffee mugs (and kettle etc :thumbsup2) but I think this is a backward step on so many levels.

Let's hope they change their minds.

Yes I have and I'm definitely going to write to Member Satisfaction on this!

.....As I've previously posted, I intend to get an Owner's Locker on my next visit and so will always have own coffee mugs (and kettle etc :thumbsup2).....

I was just going to post to say that perhaps nows the time to get an Owners Locker as you can have your own mugs, plates, cutlery etc., :thumbsup2

I haven't seen this. What is the reasoning behind it, does anyone know?

:wave2: Thought to be hygiene rather than cost-cutting. Think there has been something in the media about a problem - not sure of details or even if it was Disney. I'm assuming that because there is no dishwasher in the studios, making sure mugs and glasses are cleaned properly is logistically difficult. Just my take on it, the 'official reason' may be very different ;). This action - which was not announced - has been made worse by someone in MS sending emails in reply to complaints stating that studios had never had real coffee mugs and glassware!

i can confirm, we just got back from SSRS in a studio last week and had the disposable glasses in lieu of mugs which you'd find in a 1, 2 or 3BR GV...

This move will definitely make studios out to be less 'deluxe' than the other DVC accommodations.

Like Moira, I plan to keep mugs, glasses, plates and cutlery in my Owners Locker when I get it so, for me personally, the lack of mugs at the resort won't be such a big issue - but I still don't agree with it!

If hygiene is the issue, I wonder how other resorts (not just DVC) deal with the same 'problem' when they provide in-room coffee making and glassware :confused3 . Unless this becomes an industry-wide decision for all romms without thier own dish-washer, it certainly seems an OTT reaction. :(

We have recently returned from 7 nights in an AKV studio (23 Feb - 1 March) and they still had mugs (well more like cups) and glasses. Wonder whether these are to be withdrawn in the near future. We usually take our own mugs from home as the ones provided are never large enough for my cup of coffee, so it will make no difference to us if there are no mugs.

This is a real backwards step. It was bad enough that there were no proper plates, cutlery or wine glasses in the Studios, but to remove the mugs, glasses and washing-up liquid is a real backwards step. When dh and I stayed in a Studio at SSR last August, we had just four paper plates, four paper bowls and no cutlery whatsoever for an 8 night stay! They claim the decision has been made because there are no dishwashing facilities. What on earth do they think a sink, washing-up liquid and a tea-towel constitutes? :confused3

It is daft. Maybe if enough people email and complain they will come to their senses. And this all from a problem that was found at the Contemporary!

We have recently returned from 7 nights in an AKV studio (23 Feb - 1 March) and they still had mugs (well more like cups) and glasses. Wonder whether these are to be withdrawn in the near future. We usually take our own mugs from home as the ones provided are never large enough for my cup of coffee, so it will make no difference to us if there are no mugs.

It looks like the changeover occured on 5 March.

I am suprised by how cross I feel about this, the lack of proper plates and cutlery has always bothered me, I admit when we checked into our studio for the first time and discovered plastic and paper I was shocked. I have always purchased a wine glass because the thought of drinking wine from the tumbler provided goes through me, but they were useful for juice and I enjyed my coffee from a proper cup. It seems that Owners Locker grows more appealing for us.

:wave2: Thought to be hygiene rather than cost-cutting. Think there has been something in the media about a problem - not sure of details or even if it was Disney. I'm assuming that because there is no dishwasher in the studios, making sure mugs and glasses are cleaned properly is logistically difficult. Just my take on it, the 'official reason' may be very different ;). This action - which was not announced - has been made worse by someone in MS sending emails in reply to complaints stating that studios had never had real coffee mugs and glassware!

H hon :wave:

Mmmm I don't like this at all - I am going to send an email to them.

I am suprised by how cross I feel about this, the lack of proper plates and cutlery has always bothered me, I admit when we checked into our studio for the first time and discovered plastic and paper I was shocked. I have always purchased a wine glass
Exactly the way I feel, Jules.

we shared our plates with my Mum and dad last year because they struggled to even butter their toast with the plastic cuttlery, plus the plastic cups can be quite dangerous for young kids if its hots stuff in them.

we only just joined dvc last month but i cant understand the level of feeling about this we stopped in a cabin at fort wilderness they had horrible glass which were supposed to be jam jars couldnt get on with drinking out of them so bought my self a glass. do they do the refill cups at dvc resorts?
dave

i cant understand the level of feeling about this

There are a couple of reasons why I don't like this particular move by DVC:

• DVC resorts are in the 'Home from Home' resort category. How many people use styrofoam mugs at home in preference to china? Yes, I could go out and buy china mugs if I want them that much, but I didn't have to in the past so I'd rather not have to now.
  • Taking away the china mugs may seem a small thing, but it's increasing the difference between the DVC studios and DVC larger accommodations and making them more like non-DVC resort rooms.
I'm not someone who automatically kicks up whenever something changes, as I know some changes can be definitely for the better. I don't happen to think this one is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter