Suggestions please! The best way to get from LAX?

CKupres

Earning My Ears
What type of transportation to you prefer to get to and from LAX and Anaheim?

I've taken Super Shuttle once from Laguna Beach and it made so many stops that the travel time was almost unbearable. We'll be with our 5-year-old daughter. We used a Town Car service at WDW and it was very reasonably priced and had an online coupon, too. Is there something similar available for DL?

Any good/bad experiences that you care to relate would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Cathi

jiminy.gif
Environmentality - every little bit makes a big difference!

Hi Cathi! There are TONS of private car services here, and unfortunately the only one I've ever used I no longer recommend due to a driver that had to do 90 mph as he took us to the airport (we weren't late, it was a Sunday morning and there was no traffic!) :rolleyes:

Mary Jo is quite right in that it is simplest to just rent a car and drive yourselves, but if you prefer not to deal with traffic you can also try the Airport Bus. It is just what it sounds like...a bus service...but it goes to the Disney hotels about every half hour or so and isn't incredibly inconvenient. Other than that, you could always take a cab and pay the hefty fare.

Wish I could be more help -- good luck! :)

Michelle
Assistant Webmaster
Cruise & Inspiration Board Co-Host
Disneyland Board Co-Host

Yes, I also suggest Airport Bus, they have a website at http://www.airportbus.com and you buy the tickets as you board, no ressies necessary.

Supershuttle comes by every few minutes as well as other shuttle services, and you don't need a reservation. They go to the Disneyland resort area hotels, no stops in between. You just stand at the stop, tell the dispatcher where you are going, they show up and take your money.

Driving on LA freeways.... it is an adventure. Espcially in construction zones along 5 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

galc.gif
WLlogo.gif

"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

CKupres

I am with you. We really do not want to take the supershuttle or the bus to DL due to the many stops (like Mears) they take you. I have researched the towncar services and they are approx $85 per way not including grat and airport fee. Here we just took Tiffany Towncar at WDW for only $75 for both ways. Right now I am seriously considering supershuttle due to its only $60 for 2pp. If you rent a car its about the same cost as if you had taken a towncar service. I wish there was better transportation to DL or cheaper towncar service. :mad:

mic-min-don-plu01.gif
mkclogo1.gif

Hi Mary Jo,
We are renting a car at LAX and driving to DL on Feb 13. We arrive it LA at approx. 8am, how bad is traffic going to be really? We're not on a strict time line to get to DL but wouldlike to know what we are in for. Will the drive be a challenge for California newbies? Eek! Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also what has the weather been like lately. We are coming from frosty Toronto and are hoping for some sun.

14 days 'til 1st ever trip to DL!

engagement.jpg

FW-`80, '84, '88
DxL-'91
WDW International Program Canada Pavillion '97-'98
---Vista Way July '97-April '98
---Commons April '98 - July '98
---WL, CS, ASMu, BW, PO, Poly
Offsite-Feb '99
ASMovies-Feb '00
WL, BC, DCL-Sept '00
DL, Grand Californian-Feb '01,
WDW Sept '01?

Heavy sigh...
I'm surprised at this.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that we won't need a rental car during our stay, so it would be extra trouble to get one just for the trips to and from the airport.

I really appreciate all of the replies. Teri, thanks for the link to the Airport Bus info. Looks like that's what we're going to take!

Cathi

jiminy.gif

If you don't mind having to wait and potentially having to walk a bit to your hotel, Airport Bus is fine. It does take a while to get there, but you don't have to mess with traffic.

However, if you're willing to drive a car in an unfamiliar town, and especially if you're going to be driving in non-rush-hour traffic, I'd say rent a car. It was much more convenient.

-Rajah
tigerbow.gif

mickeymoonsm.jpg

cdrtrisal@aol.com

(Links will return when I find a new place to host the sites)

We just returned and used the Supershuttle from LAX. They have 7 passenger vans to go directly to the Disneyland Resort area. Seemed to be the best option besides renting a car. Not sure if they are the greatest. www.supershuttle.com
We arrive early Sunday and did not wait long for a shuttle, but since it was empty the driver kept trying to get more fares. When he came close to filling the van, he then departed and gave a speel about LA and DL as he drove. He reminded us several times that he needed a tip on top of the fare. Fare was $14/person one way.

For the return, we made a reservation and they picked us up just 2.5 hours prior to our departure. This driver drove between 75 and 90 mph. We arrive at the airport very early

flowerface.GIF
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font color=navy>dsneygirl

You'll be in prime traffic time for LA - Allow about an hour to an hour & a half. You can take advantage of the carpool lanes, too (if there are two or more).

If you're lucky, figure on 30-40 minutes travel time. :)

<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font color=#FF0066>Mary Jo
mms.gif

Disneyland Board Co-Moderator
galw.gif

My Disneyland Site
My Sequoia/Yosemite Trip

Dress Up Your Posts

While it's a bummer to get stuck in rush hour traffic anywhere, it can be especially frustrating in LA, where cars are as permanent as palm trees. They're part of the landscape.

However: during our first trip to LA and DL last summer, I actually found being stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic a blessing. The California freeways can be daunting and confusing (especially to a New Yorker like myself who is used to traveling by subway), and it was somehow reassuring--and, maybe, safer--to be inching along at 20 or 25 mph.

"It's the time of your life, so live it well..."

Greg K.
Forest Hills, NY
Grand Floridian: '96,'97,'99
Disneyland Hotel: '00

After reviewing all of these suggestions and doing some more homework
read.gif
, we have decided to rent a car just for each of the trips to and from LAX. I can get a great rate with our Disney Club discount from National which comes out to $28 each way for a standard size car. Their location is only a few blocks from the West Coast Anaheim where we'll be staying.

Although our hotel has Alamo on site, they will add a hefty
disgust.gif
$25 fee for returning the car at a different location than the pick up each way!

Beware, I found that Airport Bus's fine print states that you may have to be dropped off at their Transportation Center and then transfer to ANOTHER shuttle to continue on to your hotel, at an additional charge.
errrr.gif

I truly appreciate all of the replies. Thank you all for helping me to work this out!

Cathi

jiminy.gif

<font color=navy>

Best route to LAX from Disneyland ---

The most direct route is to take the
5 freeway north
91 freeway west
605 freeway north
105 freeway west

The 105 will take you straight to Sepulveda Blvd. Get off there, turn right, and follow the signs.

CK-The National rental place is right next to the Candy Cane Inn (if memory serves correctly :) ) - I know it's in that area & very handy.

<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font color=#FF0066>Mary Jo
mms.gif

Disneyland Board Co-Moderator
galw.gif

My Disneyland Site
My Sequoia/Yosemite Trip

Dress Up Your Posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter