Summary of "Save VMK" related posts

Upated through here.

It's interesting to me the range of media that is covering this closure. Business-related entities are starting to cover it from the "It just doesn't make business sense" perspective. One of these articles (which I REALLY enjoyed reading) addresses the role of games in the life of people with birth defects and illnesses. It's very interesting to me to see the range of angles that have generated coverage. Why doesn't Disney get it???

And can I just say how weird it is to see your own comments quoted in an article generated from the other side of the planet? The web really does make us all closer, does it?

:wizard:

Found this tonight... http://fairytaletreasureshop.com/?p=117

Was slightly annoyed at the "eh, it's just an online game" attitude, but for some reason was not able to pull together a nice, relevant post to add to the replies. If anyone wants to - please do. :) (added to 2nd post)

- Dreams

I was bugged with the attitude also.
Yep. Just dont have the brain focus to write something coherent tonight.

Also, just found this:
http://www.huliq.com/56481/disney-vmk-or-virtual-magic-kingdom
(added to first thread)

This parent has very eloquently expressed her disappointment in the Walt Disney Co.

First paragraph:
"Disney has lost it’s way it seems. For the first time I have seen Disney do something that hurts itself and the kids it celebrates so much. They are closing the Virtual Magic Kingdom (VMK)."

Interesting, but I don't understand how that explains at all why vmk is closing - It would seem to me that VMK should fit quite well into that community plan. Its an existing community that already does all of the things the interview talks about. Why doesn't Disney see that?:sad2:

Interesting, but I don't understand how that explains at all why vmk is closing - It would seem to me that VMK should fit quite well into that community plan. Its an existing community that already does all of the things the interview talks about. Why doesn't Disney see that?:sad2:

I'll take "because they're shortsighted buffoons" for $200, Alex!

Very interesting interview with the Disney On Line executives. I thought his comment about "inappropriate behavior" was directed at VMK. He followed up saying sites that have a single purpose (POTC e.g.) are "self policing" and I felt by that he meant VMK is not. I'm still at a loss to understand why they can't incorporate the safety features of ToonTown chat into VMK and offer it as a pay to play site. That would resolve the two issues he mentioned and preserve the investment Disney has made in VMK.

I haven't finished watching this video yet, but I just had to cut and paste a few of Steve Wadsworth's quotes from this latest video interview...just from about 7 minutes in...

The way we look at it at Disney...creating a community around context...has a lot of value...from a consumer prospective and from a business prospective......... From a consumer prospective...if consumers enter any type of social media experience or community experience on the web where there is a clear reason...or a clear theme to it........and they want to live in that world and be in that environment...

Someone clearly isn't taking their own advice. Are they saying that people who have joined VMK have joined for reasons that are not clear? How much clearer can you get? :confused3

We're all fans of Disney...*hits head*

There's a reason they're all there...which means: that is really a community

OMG, like no way! *hits head again*

This thread is amazing...thanks for the recent bumps, I missed it earlier. Is there any way to lock it at the top?

Thank you for all your hard work Disney Dreams!!!

I do have a blog that I have been culling information about the Save VMK effort, it is www.vmkblog.com. I mainly started making posts to it to cause blog chatter in the blogosphere, I'm up to 100+ posts so far. If others have blogs, chatter away, the more posts on Save VMK topics, the better because the are indexed by search engines and there is a better opportunity that media outlets will continue to report on our efforts!

OMG, like no way! *hits head again*
Thanks for the giggle! Read this the first time when I really need a laugh and it was perfect! :goodvibes

The one new thing I DID get from that interview is Disney's focus on games/communities that have a SINGLE interest (penguins, fairies, pirates - as opposed to - ghosts and pirates and fireworks and jungle cruise and potc and tiki and hsm and monsters and topsy-turvy, etc....). For VMK, the staff thinks up and creates new themes for us continuously. In these other games, there is not the need for this as the game topic IS the theme. That is much less labor-intensive from a creative and technical viewpoint I suppose. That is the FIRST thing that I have heard (not that he actually came out and said it) that makes any sense as to closing VMK.

This thread is amazing...thanks for the recent bumps, I missed it earlier. Is there any way to lock it at the top?
Thank you for all your hard work Disney Dreams!!!
I do have a blog...
Thanks for the kind comments. If people find it helpful, it's worth the effort to me. Appreciate the nice support.

As for it being locked at the top, Aengus and Disvaclub do not want to make this a sticky. I requested this when I started the "compilation" thread. Those who find it useful need to keep an eye open and bump it up when it starts to fall.

Your blog is nice, good work.

Not sure if anyone has posted these yet or not, but this is a link to the Sit-In Protest thread:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1803513

And the Save VMK Walk thread:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=24795850

Thank you for making this thread, it's an amazing piece of work! :thumbsup2

These aren't really media coverage which is the purpose of this thread so I have not listed them on the 2nd post, but I believe most on this board have read of these 2 in-game efforts. All efforts to make a statement that we want to keep Funville alive are great! Thanks for your kind comments re: the thread.

Updated through here,
Dreams

For VMK, the staff thinks up and creates new themes for us continuously. In these other games, there is not the need for this as the game topic IS the theme. That is much less labor-intensive from a creative and technical viewpoint I suppose. That is the FIRST thing that I have heard (not that he actually came out and said it) that makes any sense as to closing VMK.

It was their idea to give us monthly themes...I wonder if at this point we would all be happy enough if we had the same old theme all the time. Who says there needs to be a "theme" anyway? Did any of us ever ask for one? If that is part of their reasoning, it still doesn't make sense...

Thank you Disney Dreams! Your post has stirred up so many other posts and comments in regards to princessmadiro's "blog" and her feelings about VMK closing. Just saw this one and this guy actually gets it (sorry if it's a repeat- but he may have posted it on several sites now- even his dad picked up on it):

Still Alive with GTAIV
By ctplante
“My favorite web site, Virtual Magic Kingdom (VMK) is closing May 21st. I’m sad and MAD! I can’t live without my friends on VMK. PLEASE sign my guestbook like a petition to SAVE VMK for me and my friends. Pass my site on to everyone you ...
Hardcasual - http://hardcasual.net

So why doesn't disney get it? All they are thinking about obviously is money.
The one theme concept sucks the kids into trying more and more sites. VMK is too all inclusive i guess. Why pay to play one game when you can pay to play several games. Princess has tried all of the virtual worlds. She gets so bored with all of them. None of them have the magic- the creative end and social aspect she craves. It's not the games she likes- its the people and there are some awesome people on VMK!
...if your heart is grieving, keep on believing!

:hug:

Thank you Disney Dreams! Your post has stirred up so many other posts and comments in regards to princessmadiro's "blog" and her feelings about VMK closing.... So why doesn't disney get it?
Aww, no thanks needed. Was happy to incorporate her story as a real-life, true person's example of why VMK is more than "just a game."

As for why WDIG execs don't get it, I am almost at the point of believing it's as simple as, They don't want to. :confused3 But who knows.........

Link to the TV news story that just aired...Parents Plan To Boycott Disney Over Web Site Dilemma
Thanks for link!

I commented, all right! ;) I was very polite, but I did try to convey to them that they really didn't get to the true heart of the story. It's not about losing a free service, it's about losing our friends.

:thumbsup2

Updated through here.

Please note: Starting Friday, I will be gone for a few days, most likely with no computer access for the entire time I'm gone. :scared1: I will update this thread on 2nd post with anything new upon my return next week.

- Dreams

some media coverage in the works...

VMK Kids Unite is reporting an update which includes CNN contacting them!
http://vmkkidsunite.com/index.cfm
Updates:
April 28: Discussion is underway for a WDW Protest on the public highway leading to the kingdom.
April 28: Local media and CNN have contact us regarding covering the protest at Disneyland.

And there is also the NPR interview that is supposed to air around May 7th, it's discussed here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1802329

Hope your trip is for fun Disney Dreams!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter