Summer 2020 Trips - If WDW Is Open, We're Going! *Update: WDW Open July 11*

Yes, one of the great things is the heat will dry you off pretty quickly. Here are my tip for summer touring at WDW:
  • Plan your outdoor FP+ rides for the morning, and if that is not possible, then for the late evening. It rarely rains before noon, but rain and lightning, both of which can shut down outdoor rides, occur almost every afternoon. It occasionally rains in the evening, but that's a lot less common than the typical 1-2 hour afternoon thunderstorm. So plan all of your park touring with that in mind. People always mention the heat of summer at WDW, but in my experience, it's the daily thunderstorms that cause the most logistical problems if you're unprepared.
  • Tour the parks mostly early and/or late in the day, and spend most afternoons at your resort. Trying to push through the entire day nonstop in summer is usually going to be miserable.
  • Wear sturdy waterproof sandles that support your feet & don't need socks. Soggy wet non-waterproof shoes & socks are misery, so avoid that at all costs. I wear Tevas sandals and they're great for WDW.
  • Avoid wearing denim, which shrinks when wet and takes forever to dry.
  • Bring a (waterproof) wide-brimmed hat or a UV umbrella (you can find them online) to use as a parasol midday.
  • Bring a bathing suit to enjoy your resort's pool, and maybe spend a day at one of Disney's water parks- they're wonderful.
  • Above all, pack light for park touring. Some people will advise you to stuff a day back with bottled water (heavy) and snacks, and spare shoes (not needed if you're wearing waterproof shoes), etc, etc. Lugging all of that stuff will just weigh you down, tire you out & make you feel hotter. Instead, splurge just a tad and buy water at stalls as you need it, rather than carrying the heavy bottles all day. Same for snacks, just buy what you need when you're there. WDW sells food & drinks, and this is one instance where your comfort is more important than saving a dollar or two.
omg I would have never thought of that FP+ tip!!! Definitely keeping that in mind at the end of May when I'm booking Fps!

We still have our June 17-July 4 trip planned. I'm looking into rebooking for 3 weeks in September if we have to cancel the June trip. I kind of feel like WDW may be open by our trip, but I'm worried it will be a half experience. This is our kids first trip to the World, and it is expensive just to fly the 5 of us (though we did get good airfare deals). So if it is looking like many things will be cancelled then we'll take our early summer trip and reschedule to a late summer trip, hopefully. My mom is travelling with us, and we've all already bought tickets, so I do have to consider her when rebooking. BUT I think that September looks like a great time to visit as we are homeschooling next year.
I've had mixed emotions about people saying "half experience", but I can definitely support pushing a trip if it's a First Trip! I have faith that September will be a great time for you and your family! Just be careful about hurricane's in Florida, they are notorious for that time of year.

Our trip is scheduled for June 27th - July 7th. It's really the only time we can go unless we leave one week later -- I'm leaving it as is for now.

I could reschedule for Thanksgiving or Christmas, but I'm not sure I want to. I much prefer WDW in the summer -- and who knows if the virus will be making a comeback by then.

We go once (sometimes twice) per year, but we didn't go last year, so I'm due for this trip. Also, when we were there 2 years ago, my mom passed away during that trip (she wasn't with us, but in FL), so this was my do over trip.

I've already thought about where to go to this summer if it can't be WDW -- I feel pretty confident that beach resort areas will be open in some places, but I just can't get excited about anything else.

If they have modified experiences we can probably handle it. We're staying at the BW and I'm truly happy there, and we've been enough times that depending what the modifications are, we can deal, and it would be interesting to go during such an usual time as this... It would be a memory for sure (even if it's not the typical one).

I've had mixed emotions about people saying "half experience", but I can definitely support pushing a trip if it's a First Trip! I have faith that September will be a great time for you and your family! Just be careful about hurricane's in Florida, they are notorious for that time of year.
I am sure that if the parks are open people who go will have a great time. But one of the things my littlest one wants to do is have breakfast with Princesses. That is something that may not be able to happen this summer. People are speculating they may cancel live shows, parades, and fireworks too. We are offsite and people are already saying they cannot get 60 day FP, so I worry about what the ride procedures will be. We're in California and we've been to Disneyland many times. I really want to go in June, but I think it would be worth it for us to postpone our trip if it means we get to do more of the things we want. Right now we're still waiting to see what Disney does. I also realized that if we go in September we could go to a Halloween Party. I've always wanted to go to one at Disneyland, but we've never done it because we live too far away for a one night thing and the days of the parties just didn't work for a long weekend trip in previous years.

Hello, yes, hi, also a childless millennial!

Other than the hiccups with the resorts, were you able to rebook your other things like Wild Africa Trek & Cali Grill?

Cali Grill is my all time fav and do it every trip - even if you cant be there during fireworks, it's still amazing!

Thanks for asking!

We decided not to rebook WAT because the July heat would be too brutal. I think we will try again next year. Hopefully it will still be an option.

We did rebook Cali Grill and added Toledo at CSR as well.

I'm sad that we lost the BEST fast passes we ever had. I doubt we will be able to get everything again. I'm still hoping DSS will still come through!

I'm also hoping Disney After Dark resumes, but maybe with the limited capacity during regular park hours we would still reap the same benefit of low wait times. :-)

*Still holding out hope*

I am sure that if the parks are open people who go will have a great time. But one of the things my littlest one wants to do is have breakfast with Princesses. That is something that may not be able to happen this summer. People are speculating they may cancel live shows, parades, and fireworks too. We are offsite and people are already saying they cannot get 60 day FP, so I worry about what the ride procedures will be. We're in California and we've been to Disneyland many times. I really want to go in June, but I think it would be worth it for us to postpone our trip if it means we get to do more of the things we want. Right now we're still waiting to see what Disney does. I also realized that if we go in September we could go to a Halloween Party. I've always wanted to go to one at Disneyland, but we've never done it because we live too far away for a one night thing and the days of the parties just didn't work for a long weekend trip in previous years.
I love the halloween parties - I would be a great memory for a first trip!! I support your trip shuffle to September 💓

Thanks for asking!

We decided not to rebook WAT because the July heat would be too brutal. I think we will try again next year. Hopefully it will still be an option.

We did rebook Cali Grill and added Toledo at CSR as well.

I'm sad that we lost the BEST fast passes we ever had. I doubt we will be able to get everything again. I'm still hoping DSS will still come through!

I'm also hoping Disney After Dark resumes, but maybe with the limited capacity during regular park hours we would still reap the same benefit of low wait times. :-)

*Still holding out hope*

Can I come on your trip with you???

We decided to rebook for mid-July and splurged on Club Level and the YC, hoping we could cross CL off our bucket list and take advantage of the 90 Day Fast Pass window. Unfortunately, DSS is closed and CL loses value with each passing day.

Forgive the unsolicited opinion, but YC CL is one of our favorites. When we do adults only trips, it's usually to YC CL. I'm sorry the paid FP thing isn't working in your favor, but hope everything else works out for you.

We booked Pop century for Memorial weekend to June 1,waiting to see what happens and looking at moving to July 15-25 :) just waiting and watching :rolleyes1trying to stay positive:sunny:

I‘ll be totally honest with you...it’s freaking hot! Like fry an egg on the pavement hot.
It usually rains in the afternoon too so bring those ponchos.

We usually start the day early then head back to the resort mid day for a break. If we have the energy, we’ll head back to a park after sunset.
it's hotter than hell. Much hotter.

Forgive the unsolicited opinion, but YC CL is one of our favorites. When we do adults only trips, it's usually to YC CL. I'm sorry the paid FP thing isn't working in your favor, but hope everything else works out for you.
Thank you :-) . Can I ask, what do you love about YC CL, specifically?

Yacht Club is our favorite resort. We usually do a split stay but always "land" at YC. I'm still hopeful that we can get the CL FPs and other CL perks. Even if we can book at 75 days out, I think it would still be worth it!

We’ve been to Disney the past two years during Thanksgiving week. Well Disneyworld in 2018 and Disneyland 2019. We are looking forward to getting in the pools this summer. We went June 2017 and our kids loved the pools to cool down. We will push back to November this year if we have to, but it has been so crowded and too cold for pools so we don’t want to do that again.

We were originally scheduled for June 1 for my DD birthday trip (don't laugh she's 30!!) . Too nervous about that arrival date, re-booked for Aug 24. We've got my family, plus two extra friends of DD. So we booked OKW. Surprisingly I saved money with the re-book (fun/sun package). We also got a rebate from SW airlines. All's well.

We were booked for a short trip for spring break, but of course that got canceled. So we rescheduled for Aug 8-13 at AKL with the free dining deal. Then, the flights for our Grand Cayman trip in June got canceled, and we rescheduled Grand Cayman for August 8-16. So, I scheduled another Disney trip for those dates in June (June 8-13) we were originally suppose to go to Grand Cayman. Now I have Disney trips in June and August, and Grand Cayman in August. I'm hoping to get to go on at least 1! I don't think Grand Cayman will be open by August, and I feel Disney has a better chance of having more things open by August, so we will probably end up at Disney in August. However, I'm still hoping for a trip to Disney in June (we really just want to do a few of the after hours events, though) and Grand Cayman in August. I know so many people have so much more to worry about than vacations. I'm fortunate(?) to work in healthcare and have still been working these past weeks (my spring break time off didn't happen), on top of trying to help with my kids online learning, so I really need some sort of vacation!!

We have 2 things going on! Dream scheduled July 24-27 with a stay at the Poly 27-30, but I currently have the Poly booked for the 24-27 as well as a back up for the July cruise possibility of being canceled ! I am hopefully one of the two scenarios will happen ! I have to have hope right now ! Oh and July 29 happens to be my BIRTHDAY 🎉

Last edited:
We were booked for a short trip for spring break, but of course that got canceled. So we rescheduled for Aug 8-13 at AKL with the free dining deal. Then, the flights for our Grand Cayman trip in June got canceled, and we rescheduled Grand Cayman for August 8-16. So, I scheduled another Disney trip for those dates in June (June 8-13) we were originally suppose to go to Grand Cayman. Now I have Disney trips in June and August, and Grand Cayman in August. I'm hoping to get to go on at least 1! I don't think Grand Cayman will be open by August, and I feel Disney has a better chance of having more things open by August, so we will probably end up at Disney in August. However, I'm still hoping for a trip to Disney in June (we really just want to do a few of the after hours events, though) and Grand Cayman in August. I know so many people have so much more to worry about than vacations. I'm fortunate(?) to work in healthcare and have still been working these past weeks (my spring break time off didn't happen), on top of trying to help with my kids online learning, so I really need some sort of vacation!!
unrelated, but my birthday is 8/8. It’s a very lucky day, so I have faith you’ll get your vacation!!!

We have 2 things going on! Dream scheduled July 24-27 with a stay at the Poly 27-30, but I currently have the Poly booked for the 24-27 as a back up for the July cruise possibility of being canceled ! I am hopefully one of the two scenarios will happen ! I have to have hope right now !
Both trips sound great!!! 😍

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter