Summer crowds

DanieB

Mouseketeer
Hello all! We are trying to plan a family trip this year and it looks like we will have to go in the summer. I know there will be crowds every day and there’s no perfect crowd calendar but I was hoping for just some general advice. I don’t really understand how all the ap blackouts etc work and what parts of the summer might possible be less terrible than others. We can only go the last week of May up through end of July. Does anyone have any advice on what things I should be considering when picking summer dates?

In the past I have gone during the summer mostly at the end of July and early August and frankly it is my favorite time to go. The lower tiered APs are blacked out which in the past has made them lighter than say during the Halloween season. We went once in October and the weekends were busier than anything I had ever seen during the summer. Last year was a fluke I think with lower crowds all year but my prior years were never too bad. I liked that the park hours are longer, less rides under refurbishment and because of the heat (because it is summer, it can and will get hot) I enjoyed riding the water rides. I am not a fan of Grizzly in October and I don't think I will be riding it if it is open during our upcoming trip in March. Everything is a trade off of course, the weather earlier in the summer might be better but then you might have grad nights that might impact things. Later in the summer is the heat. I don't mind the heat; we always take a break during the hottest part of the day back at the hotel for swimming and napping and then hit the parks till late refreshed and rested. Everyone here will have their own advice based on their personal preferences and experiences but if I were going again this summer I would pick the mid to end of July.

Last edited:
In the past I have gone during the summer mostly at the end of July and early August and frankly it is my favorite time to go. The lower tiered APs are blacked which in the past has made them lighter than say during the Halloween season. We went once in October and the weekends were busier than anything I had ever seen during the summer. Last year was a fluke I think with lower crowds all year but my prior years were never too bad. I liked that the park hours are longer, less rides under refurbishment and because of the heat (because it is summer, it can and will get hot) I enjoyed riding the water rides. I am not a fan of Grizzly in October and I don't think I will be riding it if it is open during our upcoming trip in March. Everything is a trade off of course, the weather earlier in the summer might be better but then you might have grad nights that might impact things. Later in the summer is the heat. I don't mind the heat; we always take a break during the hottest part of the day back at the hotel for swimming and napping and then hit the parks till late refreshed and rested. Everyone here will have their own advice based on their personal preferences and experiences but if I were going again this summer I would pick the mid to end of July.
I'm not the original poster, but I'm so happy to hear this!! We are headed down the last week of July for DD's Graduation trip. ;-) It was the ONLY week that worked with our family schedule! :-) I knot it will be hot, but hubby (who is really the only one it effects) knows how to prepare. :-)

Hello all! We are trying to plan a family trip this year and it looks like we will have to go in the summer. I know there will be crowds every day and there’s no perfect crowd calendar but I was hoping for just some general advice. I don’t really understand how all the ap blackouts etc work and what parts of the summer might possible be less terrible than others. We can only go the last week of May up through end of July. Does anyone have any advice on what things I should be considering when picking summer dates?
You want to aim for around the third week of June (after Grad Nites are over and the lower AP block has started through the end of July, skipping the weekend of the 4th (unless you really want to spend that holiday at DLR). Any time during the above period should be fine. Mondays are usually pretty busy. Wednesdays and Thursdays tend to be good. Saturdays can be pretty good if the lower passes are blocked. How many days will you have? Will you be on or off site? Will you have MP? DLR during the summer can be a really fun time. You'll have great weather and the high/peak schedule (i.e. longer hours, more staffing, more entertainment, fewer/no refurbs, nighttime entertainment every night, etc.). When DLR is prepared for crowds, like during the summer, the parks run very smoothly and you won't feel the crowds so much.

In the past I have gone during the summer mostly at the end of July and early August and frankly it is my favorite time to go. The lower tiered APs are blacked out which in the past has made them lighter than say during the Halloween season. We went once in October and the weekends were busier than anything I had ever seen during the summer. Last year was a fluke I think with lower crowds all year but my prior years were never too bad. I liked that the park hours are longer, less rides under refurbishment and because of the heat (because it is summer, it can and will get hot) I enjoyed riding the water rides. I am not a fan of Grizzly in October and I don't think I will be riding it if it is open during our upcoming trip in March. Everything is a trade off of course, the weather earlier in the summer might be better but then you might have grad nights that might impact things. Later in the summer is the heat. I don't mind the heat; we always take a break during the hottest part of the day back at the hotel for swimming and napping and then hit the parks till late refreshed and rested. Everyone here will have their own advice based on their personal preferences and experiences but if I were going again this summer I would pick the mid to end of July.
Thanks for sharing your experience!

You want to aim for around the third week of June (after Grad Nites are over and the lower AP block has started through the end of July, skipping the weekend of the 4th (unless you really want to spend that holiday at DLR). Any time during the above period should be fine. Mondays are usually pretty busy. Wednesdays and Thursdays tend to be good. Saturdays can be pretty good if the lower passes are blocked. How many days will you have? Will you be on or off site? Will you have MP? DLR during the summer can be a really fun time. You'll have great weather and the high/peak schedule (i.e. longer hours, more staffing, more entertainment, fewer/no refurbs, nighttime entertainment every night, etc.). When DLR is prepared for crowds, like during the summer, the parks run very smoothly and you won't feel the crowds so much.
Thank you so much for the info and advice! It’s a relief to hear summer can go well... I’ve been scared hearing about how crowded everything is. At this point I think we plan to get four day park hoppers. We will be staying off site ... my goal is one of the hotels right across the street on harbor so it will be an easy walk. Our youngest is 2 so we will still have a stroller slowing us down. I am leaning toward buying maxpass. I honestly hate the idea of the added expense but seems like it will make life much easier. Wow I never would have guessed Mondays are busy and Saturdays can be ok... I have a lot to learn. We went two years ago but it was early sept and crowds were low.

Thank you so much for the info and advice! It’s a relief to hear summer can go well... I’ve been scared hearing about how crowded everything is. At this point I think we plan to get four day park hoppers. We will be staying off site ... my goal is one of the hotels right across the street on harbor so it will be an easy walk. Our youngest is 2 so we will still have a stroller slowing us down. I am leaning toward buying maxpass. I honestly hate the idea of the added expense but seems like it will make life much easier. Wow I never would have guessed Mondays are busy and Saturdays can be ok... I have a lot to learn. We went two years ago but it was early sept and crowds were low.
MP works great and can make a big difference in getting a lot done. It isn't an absolute necessity, especially if you have good FP runners and good FP knowledge; but it is a very nice luxury! Read this MP Superthread and ask all your questions there: Maxpass/Fastpass Superthread: an overview and some strategy. Also, join the ** June 2020 Check In ** thread to keep up to date with events and news for your trip dates. This thread can help you get started on finding a hotel -- ask any questions there: "Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You" www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/. Having a hotel close by will really help with taking breaks and convenience. If you can get free breakfast, even better!

Do Grad nights affect the parks all day or just at night? This may be a dumb question!!!!

Weekends later in the summer is when the lower passes will be blocked. To me the most busy time is after work hours. Get an early start. In the evening, the masses start piling into the parks.

Do Grad nights affect the parks all day or just at night? This may be a dumb question!!!!

Not a stupid question and I'd like to know too. For my May trip. I know it is in DCA after hours. But how does it affect DCA and Disneyland during day and evening before the DCA after hours event? and Disneyland also during the event (since it is still open during the earlier part of it)

We usually go in August. Though I’m not a big fan of either heat or crowds, I do think summer is a great time to go. Usually all the off season refurbishments are done, many of the shows run twice a night, and there is a great energy to the place! Most important advice from a heat-crowd-Scrooge: take full advantage of the early morning hours. Our family tradition is actually practicing early wake ups the week before our trip, and the kids love it, because it’s become one of our Disney prep family traditions. This way you get the big rides done before the huge crowds and the really bad heat hits. Then, when things get more intense, you can slow down to a more leisurely pace. If your hotel is close & you like staying late, consider going back for s midday nap. Most of all: hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, and have a great time!

Edited to add: Also, I find it helpful to temper expectations. We all like Stat Wars & would love to ride the new ride in Galaxy‘s Edge, but my kids know that we might not get on during our next August trip, depending on what procedures they‘ll use at the time and how lucky we‘ll be. I found that both in Disneyland and in life at large, the key to happiness is to hope and strive for the best but to also understand that disappointments and unexpected obstacles to what we would like to happen aren’t good reasons for not enjoying and not being grateful for the things that DO work out (especially those little, sudden Pixiedust surprises that we didn’t plan for and that we may miss if we focus too much on stuff that frustrates and annoys us).

Last edited:
MP works great and can make a big difference in getting a lot done. It isn't an absolute necessity, especially if you have good FP runners and good FP knowledge; but it is a very nice luxury! Read this MP Superthread and ask all your questions there: Maxpass/Fastpass Superthread: an overview and some strategy. Also, join the ** June 2020 Check In ** thread to keep up to date with events and news for your trip dates. This thread can help you get started on finding a hotel -- ask any questions there: "Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You" www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/. Having a hotel close by will really help with taking breaks and convenience. If you can get free breakfast, even better!
Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction on where to get more info. So much to learn!

Weekends later in the summer is when the lower passes will be blocked. To me the most busy time is after work hours. Get an early start. In the evening, the masses start piling into the parks.
Thanks for the advice. We will plan to be there early!

We usually go in August. Though I’m not a big fan of either heat or crowds, I do think summer is a great time to go. Usually all the off season refurbishments are done, many of the shows run twice a night, and there is a great energy to the place! Most important advice from a heat-crowd-Scrooge: take full advantage of the early morning hours. Our family tradition is actually practicing early wake ups the week before our trip, and the kids love it, because it’s become one of our Disney prep family traditions. This way you get the big rides done before the huge crowds and the really bad heat hits. Then, when things get more intense, you can slow down to a more leisurely pace. If your hotel is close & you like staying late, consider going back for s midday nap. Most of all: hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, and have a great time!

Edited to add: Also, I find it helpful to temper expectations. We all like Stat Wars & would love to ride the new ride in Galaxy‘s Edge, but my kids know that we might not get on during our next August trip, depending on what procedures they‘ll use at the time and how lucky we‘ll be. I found that both in Disneyland and in life at large, the key to happiness is to hope and strive for the best but to also understand that disappointments and unexpected obstacles to what we would like to happen aren’t good reasons for not enjoying and not being grateful for the things that DO work out (especially those little, sudden Pixiedust surprises that we didn’t plan for and that we may miss if we focus too much on stuff that frustrates and annoys us).
Thank you so much for the tips... and the right attitude advice! I need to remember heat and crowds may mean we do less than we want but we can still have a great time. Your reminder helped me breath a little easier lol

This is great advice! For people who don't do midday naps, do shows! It's amazing how refreshing a break at the Hyperion can be in the afternoon -- "Frozen" (very well done!), a/c, comfortable seats, cold drinks = totally refreshing break! And heat is so relative. One August, we were dying from the heat and humidity, but my BIL (who lives by the Gulf) was just laughing at us the whole time!

Thank you so much for the tips... and the right attitude advice! I need to remember heat and crowds may mean we do less than we want but we can still have a great time. Your reminder helped me breath a little easier lol
It may not mean doing less than you want -- it can surprise you by letting you do more than you expected! When the weather makes you adjust your plans (and this can mean heat, rain, cold, etc.), you can find yourself doing all kinds of things that you previously overlooked at DLR, like doing shows, seeing live music, eating Dole whips inside the Tiki Room, riding the train, going into the Animation Bldg., investigating Launch Bay, meeting more characters, looking into more nooks and corners, etc. DLR is so much more than rides! Just know that no matter what you do, you're going to have a really good time. :)

It may not mean doing less than you want -- it can surprise you by letting you do more than you expected! When the weather makes you adjust your plans (and this can mean heat, rain, cold, etc.), you can find yourself doing all kinds of things that you previously overlooked at DLR, like doing shows, seeing live music, eating Dole whips inside the Tiki Room, riding the train, going into the Animation Bldg., investigating Launch Bay, meeting more characters, looking into more nooks and corners, etc. DLR is so much more than rides! Just know that no matter what you do, you're going to have a really good time. :)
Thanks so much. I am getting so excited!!!

I think Summer is a great time to go. Last Summer was a ghost town and you could walk on many rides even during mid day. Fall and Spring are much more crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter