Super Bowl Spread - Need ideas for vegetables and fruits

HannaBelle

DIS Veteran
Aside from a fruit tray and/or vegetable tray, please give me some ideas for fruits and vegetables to add to my super bowl buffet. Ideally they will be more healthy than not.

My plan thus far:

Shrimp Cocktail
Jalapeno Cheese Sausages in a Blanket
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Salsa
Tortilla Chips
Stuffed Peppadews
Grilled Pineapple
Chocolate Chip Cookies
White Chocolate Snack Mix
Brownies

Are y’all going to be grilling? A veggiesdish that is always popular with football crowd at my house is when I throw on all kinds of veggies on the grill. Zucchini, yellow squash, red onion, red peppers…slice them up…sprinkle with salt and pepper…char them up, then toss with balsamic and EVOO. Yum!

Aside from a fruit tray and/or vegetable tray, please give me some ideas for fruits and vegetables to add to my super bowl buffet. Ideally they will be more healthy than not.

My plan thus far:

Shrimp Cocktail
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Salsa
Tortilla Chips
Stuffed Peppadews
Grilled Pineapple
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Brownies
Seeing your list I would highly suggest either a fruit/veggie tray or both from a store or you make your own. My poor DH has been struggling with his weight recently so, I know, he'd appreciate just a good ole tray of healthy vegs and fruits......especially veggies. :)

eta.... now me? I would eat all your wonderful food. ;)

Shrimp Cocktail
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Salsa
Tortilla Chips
Stuffed Peppadews
Grilled Pineapple
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Brownies
Wowzer that looks amazing! You are a generous host, if I had all that I'd point at the grilled pineapple and say "There's your healthy dish!" ;)

To add more fruits, you could add a fruit salsa to the mix...a mango or pineapple or strawberry one.

An artichoke or spinach artichoke dip, while not overly healthy, would add some veggies, or there is always this recipe for Tomato Dunk that I copied from @leebee years ago on the Disboards. She wrote:

“This is stupidly easy to make and I always take it to parties. I use multiple baskets of baby tomatoes, minced up Kalamata or other oily black olive, some minced garlic. It all gets tossed in olive oil/balsamic vinegar and about a teaspoon of sugar, and some freshly ground salt and pepper. I sometimes throw in some oregano and sometimes some minced onion. Roast on a foil lined cookie sheet at maybe 375-400 degrees until the tomatoes burst and start to caramelize (so maybe 30 minutes?). Smoosh it all down and serve with crackers, toasted French bread (slice a baguette, brush on some olive oil, toast in oven). This is wicked easy to make, can be tweaked to include spices you love, can be made in whatever quantity you like. I use the leftovers on chicken- just smear it on and bake- or will roast up assorted veggies and mix the tomato dunk into them. It's easy and versatile, and tastes delicious!”

Seeing your list I would highly suggest either a fruit/veggie tray or both from a store or you make your own. My poor DH has been struggling with his weight recently so, I know, he'd appreciate just a good ole tray of healthy vegs and fruits......especially veggies. :)

eta.... now me? I would eat all your wonderful food. ;)
Fruit trays and veggie trays are my go to, I trying to mix it up a bit.

What else might your hubs appreciate on the buffet?

So, I like this tequila fruit salad to have with spicy foods - https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/tequila-lime-fruit-salad/ you can sub out the tequila for more lime, although it's football, so tequila would be fun.

As for another idea, how about a main dish? I would think a crock of veg chili (Cooking Light's Pumpkin, Sweet Potato and Black Bean is a favorite of mine - sub out the pumpkin beer for just more canned pumpkin and reg beer/wine/or more broth, and just up the spices to account for more pumpkin) would be great and is a Super Bowl trend...and you can top with the chips...https://www.cookinglight.com/recipes/pumpkin-sweet-potato-black-bean-chili

-

If you are looking for a substantial thing to eat these are two of my favorites I'll put out for lunch
Chick pea salad is fantastic as is while the Caponatina is outstanding on either italian bread rounds or sturdy crackers, both get so much better overnight.
2020-08-23_18-42-09_242.jpeg2019-12-06_21-15-00_000.png

That is a great assortment so far. :thumbsup2 Just pointing out that many of your items are tangy or spicy. You might want to go for a simple platter of fruits & veggies with a mild dip. Since you are doing grilled pineapple, how about adding grilled sweet potato slices and grilled eggplant?

I love a totally not authentic but super delicious tabbouleh with riced cauliflower instead of bulgar! Super refreshing.

Melon ball salad served in a hollowed-out watermelon rind.

sprinkle with the tiniest dash of salt, add crumbled feta and minced fresh mint. fantastic and refreshing!

Jicama cut into sticks, great for dipping into dressings (i like low cal-ken's brand does the best low cal honey mustard and ceasar's i've found).

I care about presentation, tho the guys will probably care more about the taste. If you want to go fahncy, remember the Super Bowl is the day before Valentine's. You could arrange veggies in a heart shape with red fruits or veggies around the outside edges. Think watermelon, strawberries, cherry tomatoes, radishes or sliced red bell peppers with other colors of fruits/veggies in the center of the heart.

Or stay with a sports theme and make a cheese ball in the shape of a football.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter