SW If you want to sit with your kids

After reading this thread, I have come to realize that everyone has different priorities when traveling. To each his/her own. As someone who has not flown in 15 years prior to April 11th, I was surprised to read about the way SW and some other airlines are now. I remember fondly how flying used to be. Clearly things have changed.

For me and my family, comfort is important. We are very tall and have long legs. We need leg room. Being comfortable is a huge part of being on vacation.

We just returned from our incredible trip to Arizona and California with one week in Disneyland.

We got a great deal on First Class seats on American Airlines back in September. We sat in very comfortable seats with lots of legroom, just like we wanted. The food and cocktails were sublime. It was worth every penny.

This is how we will travel going forward.
Obviously, not everyone can travel First Class. The majority of us will sit in the peon section. :snooty::rolleyes::snooty:

Not every airline is going to meet every person's needs. If you don't like the way SW boards, then choose a different airline that suits you better.
Bottom line is THIS ^^

We all have choices to make, if you don't like how SW does it move along. Southwest isn't going to change, this is their business model and it works very well for them.

You were spot on in your comments goofy4tink!

After reading this thread, I have come to realize that everyone has different priorities when traveling. To each his/her own. As someone who has not flown in 15 years prior to April 11th, I was surprised to read about the way SW and some other airlines are now. I remember fondly how flying used to be. Clearly things have changed.

For me and my family, comfort is important. We are very tall and have long legs. We need leg room. Being comfortable is a huge part of being on vacation.

We just returned from our incredible trip to Arizona and California with one week in Disneyland.

We got a great deal on First Class seats on American Airlines back in September. We sat in very comfortable seats with lots of legroom, just like we wanted. The food and cocktails were sublime. It was worth every penny.

This is how we will travel going forward.
Just curious why you're slumming it on the Southwest thread if you always intend to fly First Class? Since, you know, Southwest doesn't have First Class.

Obviously, not everyone can travel First Class. The majority of us will sit in the peon section. :snooty::rolleyes::snooty:
If I don’t save up and spend the extra money for seats with more legroom whether it’s business or first class, my family’s knees will be up to our ears. I can’t express enough the physical pain trying to fit our legs in coach. If it means we travel less often, then so be it.

Just curious why you're slumming it on the Southwest thread if you always intend to fly First Class? Since, you know, Southwest doesn't have First Class.
Umm, actually I didn’t know that Southwest didn’t have first class. Sorry, but until last week, I have not flown since 2004. A lot has changed in the past 15 years, and it certainly is not for the better.

Umm, actually I didn’t know that Southwest didn’t have first class. Sorry, but until last week, I have not flown since 2004. A lot has changed in the past 15 years, and it certainly is not for the better.
Southwest though has never had first class to my knowledge. Their perks if you will are not connected to the actual physical seat but rather boarding position, drink coupons, points earned, priority for A-listers for checking luggage (you go to a specific lane) and TSA screening (when available where you go to a specific lane) etc.

Southwest first (no pun intended lol) and foremost was considered a more affordable option in comparison to what we refer to as Legacy airlines. First Class and affordable at least in terms of the connotation of the words don't go together.

Southwest is built upon the physical seats being all the same (same pitch, same leg room, same area of the planes). If that is not your cup of tea because you like the option for wider pitch and more leg room then you may not be particularly invested in the topic at hand because it stands to reason it would be a large reason you would avoid flying with them. I don't necessarily think you cannot join in on the conversation but I do respectfully get the vibe of what the other posters are talking about. I do think since you hadn't flown in so long perhaps that's why you were so surprised with the knowledge gained. It's understandable for sure :-).

If I don’t save up and spend the extra money for seats with more legroom whether it’s business or first class, my family’s knees will be up to our ears. I can’t express enough the physical pain trying to fit our legs in coach. If it means we travel less often, then so be it.
Summer, you have every right to want to be comfortable. I get it. My husband is 6'6'' tall and avoids flying at all costs. He would prefer flying business or first class, and when we can afford it, that is what we do too. When we can't afford it, we drive our very roomy and comfortable SUV.

It's okay that you aren't familiar with the changes in seating over the last several years. You also have the right to ask questions on a forum where the experts can explain how it all works on this airline. Asking questions is how we learn.

I think spreading out trying to end up with an empty middle seat is fine. It's not like they blocked those middle seats from anyone sitting there.

Oh but they do initially prevent those seats from being taken

If it’s room only they desire vs being among the first off the plane, they would surely up their odds by heading to the back of plane on all but sold out flights

Many who decide to skip the middle seat tend to think it’s a swell idea to put their carryon luggage in the first empty spot they find (as in the empty middle seats up front bins) then proceed further back on plane

The folks that finally do settle in the middle seats wind up stowing their bags further back. Then, when plane lands, they rarely wait till the crowd has deplaned.

One of two things occurs:

immediately they squeeze back past the other standing guests trying to retrieve their own luggage .

Or, they ask those near the bin to pass their bag forward to them in a makeshift bucket brigade.

This could easily be eliminated if the FAs would encourage passengers to tote their carryon bags to be stowed directly over their seats when boarding

If nothing no else it is entertaining to watch it all unfurl

Oh but they do initially prevent those seats from being taken

If it’s room only they desire vs being among the first off the plane, they would surely up their odds by heading to the back of plane on all but sold out flights

Many who decide to skip the middle seat tend to think it’s a swell idea to put their carryon luggage in the first empty spot they find (as in the empty middle seats up front bins) then proceed further back on plane

The folks that finally do settle in the middle seats wind up stowing their bags further back. Then, when plane lands, they rarely wait till the crowd has deplaned.

One of two things occurs:

immediately they squeeze back past the other standing guests trying to retrieve their own luggage .

Or, they ask those near the bin to pass their bag forward to them in a makeshift bucket brigade.

This could easily be eliminated if the FAs would encourage passengers to tote their carryon bags to be stowed directly over their seats when boarding

If nothing no else it is entertaining to watch it all unfurl

I see the bag thing all the time. I always get early bird so that I am usually in the front of the plane. I see over and over people who will just put their bag in the first spot overhead and go to the back of the plane. It does cause issues with those who are seated further up. And I think that is extremely rude and selfish of people to do that. I wouldn't mind if the seats had specific spots in the overhead bins. Or better yet, that people could only bring one small bag that fits under the seat for short domestic flights. SWA checks bags for free.

How do people have the energy to observe – and care so much about – what other people are doing on a plane?

How do people have the energy to observe – and care so much about – what other people are doing on a plane?

It's called being aware of your surroundings. It does not take much energy to open your eyes and observe what is going on. In fact, I think people need to be more observant in their day to day life. Most of the world's population is only alive out of sure dumb luck.

I feel your pain (literally). I’m 5’10” and most of that is leg, lol. Economy on most airlines is a world of pain. Sadly I can’t fly business class unless I can do it on points, but I live in NYC so I’m fortunate enough to be in JetBlue’s hub and it’s my domestic airline of choice. Even on the newer Airbus configurations they run to MCO with more seats, it’s the only coach I can comfortably fly without paying an upcharge for more leg room. Mint class is fantastic when I see my relatives out west and deals can be had.

SW is a pretty divisive airline though. People seem to either love it or loathe it, more so than the legacy carriers. After having to fly it for work a lot (no choice) I learned very quickly that it wasn’t for me. I hated the boarding procedure and the seat saving garbage but mainly I just felt like I was a human accordion.

It's called being aware of your surroundings. It does not take much energy to open your eyes and observe what is going on. In fact, I think people need to be more observant in their day to day life. Most of the world's population is only alive out of sure dumb luck.

Yep, you got me. Because I’m not making mental notes about who puts their coat in the overhead or is being SO RUDE by saving a seat on a plane – things that don’t impact me at all – means I’m blissfully floating through life.

Well, once I'm seated, I have nothing else to do. Do I care what others are doing? Nope. As long as it doesn't impact me, it's their business. However, it sure can be entertaining to watch human nature at it's best.

As for comfort, well, I'm the shortest in my family at 5'8''. Dh is 6'4'', dd is 5'10''. We manage quite well in most seats. Now, if my flight was longer than 6 hrs, then yes, we would upgrade to more room. But that doesn't happen often. I am well informed as to the airlines I'm using.

It's okay that you aren't familiar with the changes in seating over the last several years. You also have the right to ask questions on a forum where the experts can explain how it all works on this airline. Asking questions is how we learn.
Except she didn't ask a question.

It’s called people watching, passing time while waiting to turn on electronic whatever

Yep, you got me. Because I’m not making mental notes about who puts their coat in the overhead or is being SO RUDE by saving a seat on a plane – things that don’t impact me at all – means I’m blissfully floating through life.

Blissful isn’t a word I associate with flying, period. Even on my best day of being calm & carrying on, would find it difficult to hold onto a state of zen when people are handing off luggage over my head

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter