SWAN vs AKL

NALA 24

Mouseketeer
I need your help choosing between the Swan and AKL for a seven night stay in June. I booked terrific rates at both resorts and now I must make the decision. We have stayed at the Swan before and loved the location. I would like to try the AKL but some of my relatives will be at the YC and we like to eat in Epcot or MGM. I don't think I want to split my stay because I don't want to pack up and move in the middle of our vacation. We will have a car and two DD ages 8 and 11.

I love the Swan and have stayed there numerous times and have never been disappointed. I love the atmosphere of AKL and would love to try it. Is there a price difference? I love the convinience of the Swan, the location is awesome, and love the poolarea and KImino's, I would miss that at AKL. But it has the atmosphere and the animals, and their pool looks cool...Hard choice :(

I haven't stayed at the Swan (we're going in May), but I've stayed at AKL. I really enjoyed AKL -- very peaceful, and I wanted to stay there again, but it's full for when we're going in May. My question would be when will you be going again and would you have a car in the future? With AKL it's best to have a car. If that's not an issue then could you get a better rate for AKL in the future? Like during a cheaper season? We went after Thanksgiving last year, and the rates were about as good as you could get. My parents were at the Yacht Club while we were at AKL, and it wasn't a problem seeing each other because we both had cars. AKL is a hotel you should not miss -- it just depends on when is the best time for you.

Thanks for your quick replies.

With the discounts at both resorts, the cost would be the same. Our biggest concern is transportation and convenience.

Originally posted by NALA 24
Thanks for your quick replies.

With the discounts at both resorts, the cost would be the same. Our biggest concern is transportation and convenience.

Transportation from the AKL is by bus but it is great service. We have stayed on three different trips and never had to wait more then 10mins or a bus.

The Swan is great though because you can walk to MGM or EC. They also offer a slow boat to both. But, the buses and boats at the Swan are shared by the other EC Deluxe resorts (Dolphin, YC/BC/BCV/BWI/BWV).

It really depends what you want to get our of your vacation. If you are looking to relax and love animals then go with the AKL. When we stay there we have to pull ourselves away to go to the parks. When we are looking for fun in the sun, pool time and park touring we go with the YC.

I have never stayed at the Swan but I would definitely choose AKL. It's our new favorite resort!!!!!

Originally posted by Fridye
........ With AKL it's best to have a car. .....

Actually, I've stayed at CSR, CBR, Poly, SOG, CR, FW Cabins, AKL and somewhere else I can't remember. I hate waiting for buses!!!! The ONLY resort I stayed at where I used the buses exclusively was AKL. They have BY FAR the best bus service/transportation of any of the above resorts I've mentioned, (In MY experience). While staying at CSR, CBR, POLY, CR, Cabins, I got tired of waiting for buses on the FIRST day, then drove my car everywhere we went.

We stayed at AKL this year during President's week and at the Swan the prior year again during President's week. For us ( DD (age 7) DS (age 4) and DH), there was no comparison. AKL was superior by far! The Swan has a great pool and we liked the boardwalk and proximity to Epcot. However, we loved everything about AKL! The pool was great, the food was delicious, the many family activities (story telling, animal viewing, slide opening ceremony, cookie making, animal trivia, etc.), the wonderful bus transportiation and most of all the CMS who were very accomodating. The Swan did not feel Disney enough for us or comfortable for a family. There were mostly conventioneers at the Swan and we just didn't like the overall atmosphere. The Swan staff were also not friendly or accomodating. Our bathroom at the Swan had mold and they would not switch our room since the hotel was full with a convention. The rooms were spotless at AKL by comparision!

We were happy with both resorts but preferred AKL by far.

I'm going to be the oddball and say I'd go for the Swan. The rest of your group is going to be at the Boardwalk area, and the AKL is kind of far from there.

It was very neat to stay at the AKL, and see the animals form the balcony. However, I thought the food was a little "different". Mind you, I expected it ot be different due to the African themeing, but I have to say that it wasn't the most enjoyable food I have ever had. It also seems to me that you have to get a savannha view room. A standard view just wouldn't cut it there, as the draw of the place is the animals. The pool area is beautiful. I am not a uhge fan of that African type themeing. I was glad to stay there for a few days(we were there for 3 days and then we moved to OKW), but I don't know that I'd want to do a week or 10 days there.

We were at The Swan in Janaury 2003, and couldn't have enjoyed it more!!!!!! I love the proximity to the Boardwalk area, I love the proximity to Epcot and MGM, I loved the view we had of the canal(the sunset was beautiful!!), I loved everything about the resort.

After reading the replies, I am now considering splitting my stay between the Swan and the AKL. Does anyone have any advice? How do you move your family in the middle of the vacation? Do I cancel the reservations that I have and make new ones or do I call and modify them? I'm afraid that if I change my reservations, I'll lose both of the great discounts I have.

Originally posted by NALA 24
After reading the replies, I am now considering splitting my stay between the Swan and the AKL. Does anyone have any advice? How do you move your family in the middle of the vacation? Do I cancel the reservations that I have and make new ones or do I call and modify them? I'm afraid that if I change my reservations, I'll lose both of the great discounts I have.

Splitting the stay is a great idea, and honestly, it's really not as much trouble as it might seem! I thought it would be too, before we did it for the first time. But it's very easy - you don't have to handle your luggage, it's taken care of for you - all you have to do is get yourself and your family over there! I would call and modify them - don't cancel and start over, because you never know who could snap them up in the meantime!

If you're family is up for a move I think it would be great fun to split a stay between Swan and AKL. You'll get the great location for Epcot and MGM at Swan and then you'll get to enjoy the AKL which is a very awesome resort. I'm sure your two DD's would really enjoy the animal watching from AKL. We loved the AKL's food and their swimming area is wonderful. The bus transportation is really great too, no sharing! We never had to long of a wait either. Enjoy both - sounds like a great plan!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter