Swap from OKW to AKL?

Good choice. We have stayed standard view 3 times now and have had a savannah view each time. The first two times were during the Kidani construction so we could see a bit of construction in the distance. Last year we were given an upgrade to a pool view at check in but I asked politely if we could have a standard room with a partial savannah view and we had a great view. There are lots of rooms that they cannot sell as savannah that still have great views of the savannah. We love the resort so much we will be back for a 4th visit next year.

Visiting AKL for dinner once was what convinced me to buy DVC. :cool1:
My first DVC stay was there and I found it delightful.
Certainly the Savannah view is a big draw, but I had a pool view and I liked the resort anyway. I think the dining options are simply outstanding: both Boma and Sanaa are my favorite WDW restaurants but also Mara, the quick service, is very good. Try the banana bread for breakfast!
The lounge is gorgeous and you can see the Savannah when you want from there. Pool is lovely.
You'll love it, I'm sure.

We did a 21 night stay at akl in 2010,and loved every second of it!
walking in to that lobby was the most amazing feeling, and the smell....
We had booked 2 standard rooms and was so lucky to be given both rooms on the Arusha savannah that you now pay extra for over the other savannah view rooms,
we still joke that we had to walk the "mile" to our rooms each night which did seem to drag if very tired, especially when we was carrying twin 4yr olds :rotfl2:
however that walk was also incredible when you got to pass all the viewing points along the way, we really enjoy Boma for dinner and have since been back to visit a few times, the pool is really beautiful and feels so remote and tropical when you looking around and can see all the wooden beams and greenery.
I enjoyed walking around the property at night its beautiful in the dark, and we also didn't see what the fuss was about with the buses and found them to be fine,
we enjoyed it so much that when we had a date night back during our July trip, i asked dh if we could stay again for my 30th,which im excited to say is in may!

Stayed 10 nights at OKW in August and then 10 nights at AKL. We spent twice the time travelling from AKL to any parks than we did from OKW. The pool was crowded and not very well kept. The restaurants at AKL are ok but Boma was very crowded most nights and we ended up travelling to a park or another resort to have a decent meal.
Personally I think that once the novelty of seeing the animals at AKL has worn off, you're so much better off at OKW.

Thanks for all the comments.

We've swapped now and i'm still feeling really happy about it :cool1:

We've stayed at OKW twice and loved the resort and recommended it to others. Looking forward to trying something new.

We loved Jiko and Sanaa but not wowed by Boma dinner. Will maybe give it a try again and Boma breakfast looks good.

Late to the party I know but can you tell me if you booked your original OKW stay with the free dining and discounted room deal and if you were offered the price that includes 'free days' that is currently being offered for AKL? I need to ring up and add my son to our booking and was considering asking what the price would be to change to AKL now.

Thanks in advance...

Late to the party I know but can you tell me if you booked your original OKW stay with the free dining and discounted room deal and if you were offered the price that includes 'free days' that is currently being offered for AKL? I need to ring up and add my son to our booking and was considering asking what the price would be to change to AKL now.

Thanks in advance...

No I kept the fee dining and $200 dollar giftcard deal. I paid £186 to add the extra night.

Worth asking the price quoted to change was less than I thought it would be.

Mat I ask how many nights you are staying for? We are at SSR at the end of February for 2 weeks, if it's only around £200 for us to upgrade I'm tempted!

Original booking we upgraded was 11 nights, now staying 12 nights.

Worth a call to Disney to check the price.

Thanks so much. I called but it was over £600 for 14 nights. We have decided to stick with Saratoga Springs for now. I really liked Old Key West, so im sure we will have a great time.

I called today to add my son to our booking for SSR and asked for a quote to move to AKL...now we have a dilemma as the quote was only £280! We kind of think we will stick with what we have as we like the idea of being able to walk over to DTD. I have also booked our last night (through Travel Republic) at AKL club level, we got a good deal on our flights which meant an extra night in Orlando.

Iv stayed at both and love both. It always makes me laugh when people say it takes ages on the bus to get everywhere. Never had any issues at AKL at all and you cannot compare the lobby at OKW to AKL. It is stunning and there is so much more than just animals there. It is great for the kids. Kidani which is the dvc part has a community hall and that pool is lovely. I rented points as was £95 a night along with a 5 night booking at okw with free ddp.
You have done the right thing by changing. The sheer wow factor when you walk in the lobby is amazing. Just ask for a pool view near lobby.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter