Swimming in the Winter

We're from New England -- DD has been in the pool in December and February. Sometimes we've been the only ones there. I agree with PP that your comfort level for swimming may depend on where you are from.

Im a Floridian by birth and we live in Georgia now. My kids have swam in late December and early February and were quite happy with it. If it gets past 72 and is sunny I find it tolerable. But 75 and cloudy with a breeze can feel chilly. In 2020 we did a resort only trip trip the week before Christmas and swam every day.

I think of Orlando in the winter as having three different temperatures:

Parent-Warm
Kid-Warm
Cold

Parent-Warm days are days when I will get in the pool. Kid-Warm days are days when my kids would, but I would not. Cold days are days when no one is getting in the pool.

For a given February week, you might have a Parent-Warm day or two, a couple more Kid-Warm days, and some Cold days. You might have a week with no Parent-Warm days, but you probably won't have a week with no Cold days.

We often go to Disney that time of year. Over the years, it's very unusual that we don't have at least a couple days suitable for swimming. Some years it will get too cold, but it usually doesn't last that long. I agree with the post that said swimming in the heated water isn't the issue - getting out is!!

It’s about 85 degrees right now. It may or may not be 85 in January, but it’ll almost certainly be in the mid 70s or higher unless there is a cold front.
In January 2020, we had a full week of 85F temps, with me wearing shorts and a t-shirt well after midnight at WDW. In January 2021, I wore fleece pants, a long sleeved shirt, and a light jacket most of the days until 1 PM when I had a t-shirt on.
The kids tend to swim even if I’m cold, but even I will get in the Disney pools in January much of the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter