Table Service Reviews 8/31-9/1 ***Updated With Pictures***

CamColt

In case you missed it, part 1 is here
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1218595

And the breakdown of prices & credits is here
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1217669

CALIFORNIA GRILL
This was mine and DH’s night out. :cool1: It was also our first time to CA Grill. I was a bit nervous that the food would be too funky for me, but it turned out it wasn’t at all.

We started off by drinking around the monorail before our 8:00 dinner. We finished our last drink at the Outer Rim lounge in the Contemporary just about 7:55 when we went to check in on the 2nd floor. We asked for a window seat and said we wouldn’t mind waiting for it. They then called to the restaurant and told us we were in luck …we had a window seat and it was ready. I was hoping to wait a bit to stretch out dinner until the 10:00 Wishes. ;)

After we were brought up the host took us to the table explaining where the restrooms were, where the observation deck was, etc… He even noted if we finish before the fireworks we can bring our dining receipt back and we will be let up on the observation deck. I thought this was very fair and hopefully will help the “lingering” problem we read about here.

We were seated in the corner with Epcot on 1 side and MK on the other. The sun was going down and it was a beautiful view!

We were started out with some bread and butter which was very good. The waitress also brought us a large bottle of water which we had not ordered. DH later noticed we would have been charged $6.00 for it had we not been on the plan.

For appetizers we split the hearts of romaine salad and the triple cheese flat bread. They brought the salad out on 2 plates for us, which was convenient. This was very good, just like a Caeser salad. The flatbread had sundried tomatoes, pesto and onions on it. While I’m not a big fan of onions, you could barely tell there were any there and it was delicious.

For our meals DH got the bone in rib eye with steak fries and mixed vegetables. I got the filet with terriyaki sauce, mashed potatoes and beans(didn’t eat those). While his was very good, mine was excellent. I had read the menu before we left and saw the filet came with a BBQ tamarind sauce. I wasn’t so sure I would like so I was thrilled when I saw it was now terryaki. :thumbsup2 The filet was cooked just as I like (red in the middle ) and very flavorful.

For dessert DH had a chocolate cake type thing with raspberry sauce raspberry sherbert and raspberries while I had the banana butterscotch buzz. Once again I think I made the better choice. Inside this was an almost frozen butterscotch crème brulee. It was so cold I wasn’t sure what it was but our waitress told us.

We finished up right before 10:00 and decided to watch Wishes outside as the view was better and it was a beautiful night. We went to the second deck and it was practically empty. The fist one was full. We also saw the EWP after Wishes.

The service here I would rate only as good. While our server did her job well, delivering our food in a timely manner and answered our questions, she didn’t seem too happy to be there. All our other servers were smiling happy, and very friendly. This one was just sort of there doing her job. She may have been having a bad night or something which can happen. So while the service wasn’t bad at all, she just didn’t seem overly thrilled to be there like all our other servers.

Bottom line is this was another great meal and we will definitely go back.

SCI FI
DM took the kids here so I don’t have first hand experience, but heres what I got. They arrived about 5:30 for a 6:00 ADR and were seated right away.
DM & DN got onion rings for appetizers and said these were really good. DSs each got either the vegetables or the fruit and they picked at that. I was surprised Colt actually ate some fruit (apples).

For meals DM got the Ruben Sandwich and DN got the Chicken Caesar Salad. DSs got mac & cheese and chicken fingers. Everyone was happy with their meal, but DS didn’t really care for the chicken fingers. He did eat a couple, but said they needed to have ketchup on them to eat them. He liked the fries though.

MAMA MELROSE
This is one of our must do meals and we chose to do the Fantasmic Dinner Package this time (sometimes we do, sometimes we don’t). We arrived a bit early for our 5:00 ADR and were seated within 5-10 minutes.

Again here we had a very helpful and accommodating server who brought out a Chef for the peanut issue.

We started out with bread and a tomato pesto dipping sauce which was very good. The FDP usually comes with a field green salad, however the one time we got this we did not like the “greens”. We asked if we could substitute the Caesar Salad (as we had before) and we were told no problem. This came out shortly after the bread and was delicious.

Next we shared 2 flatbreads, 1 4 cheese and 1 pepperoni (minus the peppers and onions). These were wonderful as always too. I did get 1 bite of the 4 cheese that tasted a little funny, but I think it may have just had too much of 1 of the cheeses in 1 bite.

For meals, DM and I had the penne alla vodka which we love and DH and DN got the chicken parm with spaghetti. They were happy with their meals too. While the chicken was very good, I would prefer it to be a bit thinner as that is how I like my chicken parm, but even being thick it wasn’t bad(I tried it).

DSs both got penne with butter and grated cheese. Even though Cam is only 9 and noted as a child, our server asked if he would like the bigger portion of pasta so I assume that was the adult version.

For dessert we all got Gelato, either vanilla or chocolate, or mixed (another special request that was granted with no problem), except DH, who got tiramisu. We all liked our desserts. I tried the tiramisu and that was good, but not as good as at WGPC.

Overall we were thrilled with all our meals and the service we received. We found everything on this trip, even with the dining plan, lived up to our many previous Disney dining experiences.

Any questions, just ask....

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

Thanks for taking the time to post reviews. I am eating at Kona Cafe, Wolfgang Puck and California Grill for my upcoming trip. They all sound wonderful. :thumbsup2

Love all the great details you included. Thanks for taking the time to share your reviews. :)

California Grill

Triple Cheese Flatbread (with 2 pieces missing)
ed0b17c0.jpg

Bone In Rib Eye
ed0b17ba.jpg

Filet
ed0b1780.jpg

DH's Rasberry Dessert
ed0b1717.jpg

Banana Butterscotch Buzz (blurry but worth a show)
ed0b16af.jpg

Mama Melrose
Our Fantasmic Ticket for doing the dinner package
ed0b1391.jpg

Thanks for the reviews and pictures CamColt. Quick question - did the rib-eye have any type of sauce on it? I'm not big on sauces, but think I might have to order that when we hit CG in about two weeks.

THANKS!

Ty

TyRy,
I dont think it did have any real flavored sauce on it, but I cant be 100% sure. We had so many "steaks" over ths trip they were starting to run together. ;)

Enjoyed the reviews and the pics!!
Wish we had been able to get a Fantasmic Package at 5:00--the only time we could get was 4:00--much too early for dinner!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter