Tables in Wonderland??

BYC

DIS Veteran
Is there a way to figure if Tables In Wonderland is worth it? For instance, a minimum you know you will spend on food?? Thank you!

Yes - by using simple math!

TIW gives a 20% discount and adds an 18% gratuity. The cost is $150 for one card. Tax on food is 6.5% (exception: all star resorts).

We can calculate the savings by first taking your normal spend (S) and normal gratiuty percentage (G) which gives us your cost of a meal (C)
Code:
C = (1.065 * S) + (G * S)

We can then calculate the discounted cost of a meal
Code:
(Cd) Cd = (1.065 * (.8S)) + (.18S)

[Note: TIW gratuity is added on the pre-discount total but taxes apply to the post-discount total and tips are not taxed (for you)].

Your savings ($s) is
Code:
$ = C - Cd
which simplifies to
Code:
$s = GS + 0.033S

Your break-even is found when $s is equal to the cost of TIW. If you want to know how much that is, plug in your personal gratuity percentage and solve for S.

As an example, let's assume that you already tip the TIW amount of 18%, which is expressed as 0.18. We can then solve for 150 = .18S + 0.033S, which simplified to 150 = 0.213S and results in a required spend S of $704.23 before you break even.

Alternatively, you can calculate your savings with 1 - (Cd / C) which looks like
Code:
 1 - (((1.065 * (.8S)) + (.18S)) / ((1.065 * S) + (G * S)))

With our example of a standard 18% tip, your savings is 1-0.828916 or 17%.

If you typically tip below 18%, your break even point will be higher. If you typically tip above 18%, you'll either have a lower break-even point if you accept the standard tip or a higher break-even point if you add additional gratuity.

E: Someone correct me if I did that math wrong. I'm bored at lunch and did this on a napkin.

E2: You also get free valet parking and theme park parking with TIW. We could get more complicated by averaging your spend per visit and calculating the added savings of X free parkings, but that might make the math a bit harder to read and I don't think most people think that way. Just assume the breakpoint is a bit lower than above if you make trips just to eat. You also get some cool events which may add some value that is more difficult to quantify.

Last edited:

TIW gives a 20% discount and adds an 18% gratuity. The cost is $150 for one card. Tax on food is 6.5% (exception: all star resorts).

We can calculate the savings by first taking your normal spend (S) and normal gratiuty percentage (G) which gives us your cost (C)
Code:

We can then calculate the discounted cost
Code:

[Note: TIW gratuity is added on the pre-discount total but taxes apply to the post-discount total and tips are not taxed (for you)].

Your savings ($s) is
Code:
$ = C - Cd
which simplifies to
Code:
$s = GS + 0.033S

Your break-even is found when $s is equal to the cost of TIW. If you want to know how much that is, plug in your personal gratuity percentage and solve for S.

As an example, let's assume that you tip the TIW amount of 18%, which is expressed as 0.18. We can then solve for 150 = .18S + 0.033S, which simplified to 150 = 0.213S and results in a required spend S of $704.23.

If you typically tip below 18%, your break even point will be higher. If you typically tip above 18%, you'll either have a lower break-even point if you accept the standard tip or a higher break-even point if you add additional gratuity.

<slow clap>

We can calculate the savings by first taking your normal spend (S) and normal gratiuty percentage (G) which gives us your cost of a meal (C)
Code:

We can then calculate the discounted cost of a meal
Code:

Your savings ($s) is
Code:
$ = C - Cd
which simplifies to
Code:
$s = GS + 0.033S

As an example, let's assume that you already tip the TIW amount of 18%, which is expressed as 0.18. We can then solve for 150 = .18S + 0.033S, which simplified to 150 = 0.213S and results in a required spend S of $704.23 before you break even.

Alternatively, you can calculate your savings with 1 - (Cd / C) which looks like
Code:
 1 - (((1.065 * (.8S)) + (.18S)) / ((1.065 * S) + (G * S)))

With our example of a standard 18% tip, your savings is 1-0.828916 or 17%.

E: Someone correct me if I did that math wrong. I'm bored at lunch and did this on a napkin.

E2: You also get free valet parking and theme park entrance with TIW. We could get more complicated by averaging your spend per visit and calculating the added savings of X free parkings, but that might make the math a bit harder to read and I don't think most people think that way. Just assume the breakpoint is a bit lower than above if you make trips just to eat. You also get some cool events which may add some value that is more difficult to quantify.
:thumbsup2 Math is our friend... :teacher:

TIW.jpg

We always save money using it -- love it! :)

Last edited:
Tiw gives you the discount on booze.

It also gives you the discount at foodcourts at the Value resorts, POFQ, SSR (some don't call it a food court but I do), and also at AK park.

You also get free valet parking and theme park entrance with TIW.

I'm not sure where you were going with the theme park entrance part, but I assume you mean parking.

The valet parking is only good for a certain person's of time around your adr, and you must show the receipt that indicates you used the tiw for it.

Tiw gives you the discount on booze.
I'm not sure where you were going with the theme park entrance part, but I assume you mean parking.

The valet parking is only good for a certain person's of time around your adr, and you must show the receipt that indicates you used the tiw for it.
That's where I was going but I didn't say it right, thanks.

As a previous poster stated - You must spend $750 (approx) in food and drink to break even. If it's beyond that in a year, then it could be worth it depending on how much over the $750-ish you spend.

Short answer: $704 in food and drink (including alcohol) to break even, assuming the included 18% tip (at the current $150 cost). :)

We are a family of 6 and TIW pays for itself usually after the 3rd day. Last year we were there for 2 weeks and a party of 10 - we saved over $1,000. We also get to use it this summer and it was paid for by last summer. The only problem is that it is one person's name and that person must be at every meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter