Taking 93 Year Old Month to WDW for the first time ...........................

hayesdvc

DIS Veteran
Planning to take my 93 year old mother to WDW in October.

She has the beginning of Dementia, however, in good health otherwise except for not being able to see that well.

I wanted her to be able to share in our family's love for Disney with grandchildren and great grandchildren on this trip.

I have two questions.

I need to get a wheelchair for her to enjoy our daily activities. We are staying at the Boardwalk. I am looking for suggestions on where to rent this for the week.

Secondly, there will be some attractions that I surely want her to be able to ride. I am unsure of her being in the lines for a long length of time. Is there anything I can do to help reduce this issue?

As you can imagine, we want this to be special.

TIA

We took my mom to Disneyland for the first time when she was 81. Just wanted to wish you a happy trip. My mom really enjoyed all the attention she got from cast members on that trip. She smiled the whole day.

Scooterbug is the only company that is allowed to leave a wheelchair with bell services at a Disney operated resort. However, there are many companies that will drop off directly to you at your resort or can leave with bell services at other hotels. If not on property, you can contact your hotel to get more information. You can always ask Guest Services for a DAS pass. Not sure what process is these days, since we haven't used it in a long time, but many will chime in.

Hope its a wonderful experience for all of you!

Planning to take my 93 year old mother to WDW in October.

She has the beginning of Dementia, however, in good health otherwise except for not being able to see that well.

I wanted her to be able to share in our family's love for Disney with grandchildren and great grandchildren on this trip.

I have two questions.

I need to get a wheelchair for her to enjoy our daily activities. We are staying at the Boardwalk. I am looking for suggestions on where to rent this for the week.

Secondly, there will be some attractions that I surely want her to be able to ride. I am unsure of her being in the lines for a long length of time. Is there anything I can do to help reduce this issue?

As you can imagine, we want this to be special.

TIA
Try the disabilities board for wheelchair rental suggestions.

We took a 92 year old to an amusement park not that long ago. She was happy going on just a few rides and being there that day with us. We did notice that even though it wasn’t terribly warm that day, she seemed to have very little tolerance for the heat, so we made a couple extra breaks at an air conditioned dining area. We also took her home much earlier, and then returned to the park for the longer day for us. It turned out great because we didn’t let her push too hard and because her attitude going into the day was great, too. She knew at times she’d be waiting on the bench for us, and that was okay. She actually loved having time to chill and watch the world go by and she loved the people watching.

A ECV / powerchair is so much nicer than a wheelchair if she would be up for that. There are many offsite places that rent these and they are less expensive and have higher quality ECVs than the parks do. My dad who is 84, though, just likes to get his at the park, so we just rent these at the park for him each day he goes there. It's more expensive than a week long rental, but for our staying offsite, means we don't have to deal with getting this in and out of the car.

I am doing a trip specifically catering to my 84 year old dad and the best parks for him are Epcot (We are doing two days for Flower and Garden) and SeaWorld (great for all ages and more show based than ride based - -some fun coaters, etc. for those who enjoy this). Just saying that Epcot and SeaWorld (countries to visit, botanical garden exhibits (Epcot) and marine mammals and other sea creatures to see and shows to see (SeaWorld), mean fewer lines than many of the other parks. Yes there are attractions that we will wait in line for for both of these places, but lines will be much less of an issue at these parks than they would be at the Magic Kingdom , Hollywood Studios, etc.

Do not use the Disney sponsored company Scooter Bug. I get wheel chair for my middle daughter and this was not a good experience. I totally suggest getting one from Walker in the past.

Foe me, its Magic Kingdom - It's a small world, Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan -

OP - had a great experience with Gold Mobility (ECV).

Sounds like your heart is absolutely in the right place planning this trip to include your mother!

However, having dealt with my own mother’s journey, suggest you do clear the trip with her doctor. Everyone experiences dementia differently but, over stimulation and new surroundings can often contribute to a very un-magical day.

good luck

We had a special needs child and Disney always took care of us, but this was back when people weren't abusing the system. I don't know what it is now.
You are a wonderful daughter, to be doing this for your mom. It will be a lot of work, but I'm sure when you see her face it will be well worth it. I just want to say, have a magical time. It will be memories that you will cherish for the rest of your life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter