Taking a laptop??

AJKMOM

DIS Veteran
DH wants to take a laptop to OKW in December. After reading about thefts on the property, I'm wondering how you think we should protect it? I don't think it will fit in the safe, should we just hide it and hope for the best, or leave it at the front desk?

Thanks.

I realize there have been a couple of reports here about theft, but I really think they are very isolated incidents. We have carried a laptop to the resorts with us for years (DH and I each own a business, so being totally disconnected is not really an option). We have never had a theft or even anything in the room touched, and we usually leave the thing right out on a table.

If you are truly nervous, you might consider requesting an upper floor. At least the possibility of someone coming through the patio door will be gone.

We also have brought our laptop with us for several years and have not had any problem. In the beginning we would hide it, but as the replacement price went down for the device, our protectiveness went down also.

We just bought a digital SLR, THAT will go into the safe :earseek: .

I take my laptop with me each and every time I go to WDW and have stayed at all the different resorts, moderate and top of the line. I always leave my laptop open and on the table and signed on. If you have doubts, each time you leave you should unhook it and keep it in your car or at the front desk in their safe.

WE always bring laptops and a DVD player with us. My DH leaves all out in the open that way we know right away if one is missing.

Halle said:
WE always bring laptops and a DVD player with us. My DH leaves all out in the open that way we know right away if one is missing.

Yes, you would know right away if something is missing but how is that protecting a theft from occuring? I think alot of times people think if something is on disney property, it is therefore shielded from anything happening to it. Granted, there is less exposure in the DVC rooms if housekeeping doesn't come in and out every day and I am not saying all housekeeping personnel are thieves, but lets face it, it happens and happens no matter where you are. It takes 2 minutes to lock it with the cable lock and it cost alot less than your insurance deductible!

Like DebbieB, I lock mine to some secure piece of furniture. My carry bag is a backpack-style bag, so I leave it in there for some concealment, with the cable running out and locked for security.

I have to agree that leaving your laptop sitting out unsecured is just not a good idea. We really try to avoid bringing ours, but when we have to, we make certain it is secure. There's just too much information on it - both work and personal - that would be a nightmare to lose (I'm referring to identity theft here more than anything else.) Making sure your computer is secure does not take much effort or money. It could save you a lot of headaches.

We always bring our notebook computer with us, and we keep it in the car when we're not in our hotel room-from what I've read having stuff stolen out of your car in the Disney theme park parking lots is almost unheard of, and if the thieves could find a notebook computer amidst all the tons of 'stuff' that rides around in our minivan with us, well, they'd have to have x-ray vision!

Would I leave it in the car at the Downtown Disney parking lot? No way! But the parking lots you have to pay for seem pretty secure...

We usually have two laptops with us, and we conceal them when we leave the room, but don't go to great lengths and don't lock them up.

I agree with DebbieB... purchase a cable lock from Best Buy (or Office Depot, Staples - everyone has them!)

They are easy to use and give you that little extra security even when sitting out.

I leave mine out everyday (with the lock on) - except for a housekeeping day. Then I drop in my suitcase and use the cable lock on it! :)

Disneyrsh said:
We always bring our notebook computer with us, and we keep it in the car when we're not in our hotel room-from what I've read having stuff stolen out of your car in the Disney theme park parking lots is almost unheard of, and if the thieves could find a notebook computer amidst all the tons of 'stuff' that rides around in our minivan with us, well, they'd have to have x-ray vision!

Would I leave it in the car at the Downtown Disney parking lot? No way! But the parking lots you have to pay for seem pretty secure...

Careful keeping a laptop in the car in FL. The FL heat and any type of electronics do not mix!

Donna said:
Careful keeping a laptop in the car in FL. The FL heat and any type of electronics do not mix!

Not to sound smart, but do you have any idea what the internal temp of most laptop's operate at? I assure you, it's quite a bit higher than the interior temp of your (even black) car sitting in the Florida sun.

beccasmom said:
I have to agree that leaving your laptop sitting out unsecured is just not a good idea. We really try to avoid bringing ours, but when we have to, we make certain it is secure. There's just too much information on it - both work and personal - that would be a nightmare to lose (I'm referring to identity theft here more than anything else.) Making sure your computer is secure does not take much effort or money. It could save you a lot of headaches.

Excellent point. We will stowe ours away! Thank you :wave:

Donna said:

Yeah, but we're usually there in jan, dec or feb, not usually a big deal in terms of heat...July in Fla is not fit for man, beast OR laptop :rotfl:

:teeth:
LordAthens said:
Not to sound smart, but do you have any idea what the internal temp of most laptop's operate at? I assure you, it's quite a bit higher than the

But the laptop turned on has an internal fan that keeps it from overheating (unless you have an HP, lol ), a hot car in the FL sun can melt plastic, have you seen what it does to a video tape? i still stand by not leaving it in the car. It says right in the manual do not leave over XX degree temperature because it will potentially damage the laptop. :sunny:

I always bring a simple cable lock with me. Just loop it around the desk, and it makes walking off with the laptop impossible without cutting the cable or the desk (by which time, I'd hope someone would notice!)

Muushka said:
Excellent point. We will stowe ours away! Thank you :wave:

My pleasure.. :) ...I know a victim of identity theft and would hope to spare anyone that nightmare!

Donna said:
:teeth:

But the laptop turned on has an internal fan that keeps it from overheating (unless you have an HP, lol ), a hot car in the FL sun can melt plastic, have you seen what it does to a video tape? i still stand by not leaving it in the car. It says right in the manual do not leave over XX degree temperature because it will potentially damage the laptop. :sunny:

Ambient temp is still ambient temp, either way you look at it. The fan is only there to push heat off of the cpu heatsink (and sometimes video, depending upon the chipset) so that it doesn't overheat. The ambient internal temp of the laptop is still quite a bit higher than the temp in a hot car.

And yes, i've seen what it can do to a video tape. Then again, we're talking about a piece of plastic that is 1\1000 the thickness of a typical plastic laptop chassis.

The only realy concern is the LCD, even that will take some serious heat before it's damaged. Have you ever left your cellphone in a hot car? No damage, right? If it's of recent vintage, it has the same type of TFT LCD that you're laptop has...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter