Taking autistic child out of school to avoid crowds?

mlwear said:
In the beginning I can't tell you how many times I held it together in those sorts of meetings until I could get to my car and cry. I did feel judged and criticized. Over the years, I have developed a thick skin. When they (teachers, admin.) haven't lived being the parent of a special needs childs often they just don't "get it".)

Been there, done that. I cried all the way home after my son's 1st evaluation with school psychologist because she told me "why did you wait so long to see me". Well, it wasn't me that waited. It was a 6 month long wait list to see her, then a 2 month long summer break, then we were told no appointments until the 2nd month of school! And I shouted right back at her too!
Yes, as time goes by, we develop thicker skins. Too bad the school district can't show more sensitivity! :grouphug:

...and went last year in January, and the year before in September/October...

Hugs to all of you :grouphug:

:sunny:

There is an excellent book that I think teachers, school psychologists, and behaviorists should be made to read..."Raising Blaze" by Deborah Ginsburg. She articulates how hard these school meetings are, and how a little empathy would make it so much easier for parents. Also, and I don't know if I'm allowed to say this on the board, but I just want to share w/ everyone I can...for anyone out there with kids on the spectrum...we have been using methyl B12 injections for the past four months...first three months was at the wrong dosage...I am seeing such great changes. Loads of new language, both vocabulary and structures, a willingness to learn, and the ability to listen and accept explanations. I'm getting my DS back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter