Taking Stitch to Hawaii and NOT Leaving Him There

:thumbsup2

What a great first day! I'm definitely looking for pointers for my trip on the Wonder this Fall I want to get those rainforest passes and do Palo Brunch and dinner as well. I hope that I can reserve those in advance.

For years I have said that Disney keeps a dossier on their customers. We have had some similarly odd conversations with waiters and chefs at Disneyland. Just a few weeks ago one of the concierges confirmed that they do have such a list, probably once you reach a certain number of "flags", ie, Platinum cruise members, DVC, frequent diners at the upscale restaurants, etc.

You should hopefully have no problem reserving Palo Brunch or Dinner. This was a very different cruise in so far that we had an insane amount of Platinum Castaway Club members. So by the time they had made their reservations, there were no Brunches or High Teas left. On a normal cruise, you should have no problem.

Corinna

Your first day sounded wonderful :) I'm sorry you had the table to yourselves, I hope it ended up being ok. Love all the pictures!

All worked out in the end. Sometimes you just have to take matters into your own hands :thumbsup2.

Corinna

Fantastic day Corinna, lovely photos. I would feel the same as you about the table as well, I love to meet other people, looking forward to more:goodvibes

Hi Corrina

Just caught up with your TR:thumbsup2

I love your's and Graham's matching shirts :)

I really enjoy your reports and can't wait for the next instalment:cheer2:

I love your embarkation photo with your DH..it's so Hawaiian and fun:goodvibes Cute matching shirts too.

Day 6

We had a relatively early start this morning and I had set our alarm call for 7:00 AM. I have to say it is nice being woken up by the horn of the Magic and the Wonder, which is the ring tone that I use for my alarm at home, but there is nothing quite like being woken up by Mickey in the morning. However, this morning I had beaten Mickey to it. I was wide awake at 5:00 AM and as I did not want to wake Graham up, I decided to do my first Fish Extender run. I had made little lime green Mickey pins for everybody participating in more than one Fish Extender group. Conditions were quite bumpy and I got a good workout especially as I did not always end up in the direction I wanted to go in. It almost felt like I was going from side to in the hallways rather than forward. When I came past the laundry room on deck 2, there was a lot of water in the hallway. There were actually puddles on the carpet. I assume all the movement of the ship had made something leak. When I saw a member of the housekeeping staff in one of the public areas, I alerted her to the problem.

photo17.jpg

photo31.jpg

After my early morning exercise, I was tired enough to go back to bed. I got another hour or so of sleep before Mickey called. When he did, we got up and dressed. I quickly packed everything that I needed for my jewellery workshops. The backpack that we were given as part of our Castaway Club gift came in really handy. Once we were ready, we headed for the gym. Graham wanted to do a stretching class and I figured I may as well have a glass or two of iced water while I was there. Once I had my water, I said goodbye to Graham and headed to the Cove Cafe.

I had agreed to host a total of 9 jewellery workshops during this cruise. As I knew that I would be awake at the crack of dawn anyway on the way to Hawaii and as many people in our group came from the East Coast and would suffer the same fate, I had decided to offer an early bird workshop on the sea days going to Hawaii at 8:00 AM every morning, which was supposed to be held at the Cove Cafe. I got there quite early and had a Mocha and some pastries for my breakfast. I then staked out a spot, which was large enough for the group. However, I very quickly I realized that this would not work. I had done a jewellery workshop in the same spot on the Magic in 2010 and that worked great. However, there is one big difference. The Wonder has the extension to accommodate access to the Outlook Cafe. Even though it is all glass, it does take away a lot of the light making this area quite dark. The Outlook Cafe does not open until later in the morning, which is why I had chosen the Cove Cafe for the morning classes. However, I did see people go up and come down from the Outlook Cafe while I was sitting there. I asked one of the bartenders about this and he told me that the bar in the Outlook Cafe was not open until later, but that I was welcome to take my coffee upstairs and sit there. That was the solution to all of my problems. I sorted out the kits for the first workshop while waiting for the others to arrive. Once people started to arrive, we moved upstairs. Two people could not make it as they were feeling unwell, but they left a message for me with the staff at the Cove Cafe. This actually worked great as due to a time clash for one of the participants, I had to add a 7th person to this workshop. Now we had 5, which is a perfect number.

When I was asked if I would be running the jewellery workshops again as I had done on our previous longer cruises, I was a little bit at a loss as to what project to do. Some of the things that I had done before were too intricate to really work on a moving ship and others proved to be too time intensive. It also had to be something that I would be willing to do with multiple groups without losing the will to live. I was just about ready to give up, when I had a newsletter from one of the wholesalers that I get my supplies from with a great design idea. It was one of their ideas for Valentine's day and was a charm bracelet with heart and flower crystals. I liked the simplicity of it. So I took the general idea and thought what I could do with it. I came up with 4 different themes: beach with flip flops, creatures of the sea and blue crystals; pirates with various pirate related charms and crystals in the colours of the ship; princess with crowns, pumpkin coaches, a castle, a crystal slipper and blue crystals and a fairy/ Champagne Girls version with fairies, flowers, a champagne glass and pink crystals. I made up some demo pieces and they looked great so I decided to run with it.

photo1.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo-1.jpg

The workshops were a success. Everybody turned up on time and if people could not make it for whatever reason, they let me know. It was a great way for me to spend some quality time with small groups of people and chat while we were working. Although I had put a lot of time into this preparing everything before the cruise, it did not feel during the cruise that I was giving up my time or working. I just had fun and I know the people doing it had fun, too.

After the workshop, I had to rush off for the DVC member celebration. It has become a standing joke in our house that they never have a record of us. We even cruised on points once and they still did not have us on their list. Fortunately the member celebration was listed in the Navigator. They actually did it different this time. They did two member celebrations and what deck you were on determined which one to go to. They actually told us that there were 1100 DVC members on board. When I got there, I was recognized by one of the DVC staff. We had been on the same cruise previously. I got checked in and got my baseball caps for our both of us and they added me to their list. I was told to find a seat and come back to check in a bit later as they were waiting for more gifts. I was also asked to come by the DVC desk at some stage to pick up my welcome gift. I ended up sitting with somebody from the jewellery workshop. Once I saw boxes arriving, I went back to check in and received a very smart writing portfolio which I will get a lot of use out of.

Pretty much as soon as I had sat down, a server came round with Mimosas. Against my better judgment, I had one. It was very nice, but maybe not such a good idea on a virtually empty stomach. Still, it did not do me any harm. They then played a team game. They had done this on previous cruises and it was a lot of fun, but this time it did not really work because the venue was not ideal and I am still don't know which team I was supposed to be on. I chatted with the other people on my table. Once the game was over, they talked a bit about Aulani, the DVC resort on Oahu. They advised that they still had spots on the tours a available. I would have loved to do one, it I was not sure when we would get back from our excursion. So I had to pass. Then came the inevitable sales pitch. It was pretty low key though. They drew some names out for some prizes including a nice on board credit. Unfortunately I did not win anything. When we left, everybody got another gift. We got a blue reusable shopping bag which contained a really nice cross-body backpack.

After the DVC Member Celebration, I was a bit at a loose end. I took my jewellery making stuff and my goodies back to our cabin, picked up my book and my swimsuit and headed up to the Rainforest Room. I checked Graham's usual haunts (pool, gym, Rainforest Room), but could not find him. This did not matter too much as we had arranged to meet in the atrium at midday to get some lunch. So I just enjoyed relaxing on a heated tile lounger with my book. I was surprised that the Rainforest Room was nearly empty, especially because it was a sea day and it was not too warm outside. I left the Rainforest Room a bit earlier as I wanted to get a photo with Chip and Dale. The line to see them was quite short and they were wearing their tropical outfits. By the time I got to the front of the line, Graham had arrived as well. So when I had my photo taken, we headed straight for lunch.

4289513.jpg

4289512.jpg

As soon as we were seated, our server for this meal came up to us to check about my allergy. I was relieved that the information had now gone on the system. As it happened there was nothing on the menu that would have caused any problems, but it was still good to know that they had my back. Lunch was very nice. Graham had the Seafood Sampler followed by Fusilli with Mushroom and Sun dried Tomato in a Creamy Parsley Sauce and Key Lime Pie for dessert. I was quite surprised that he had gone for a vegetarian dish, but he really enjoyed it. As far as the Key Lime Pie is concerned, he said that this was every bit as good as the one that is served at Olivia’s Café at Old Key West at Walt Disney World, which was high praise indeed. I had the Vegetable Quesadilla, which came with Sour Cream and Guacamole; Chilled Mango Soup with Mint Sauce; Glazed Meat Loaf with Carrots and Mashed Potatoes and I also had the Key Lime Pie for dessert.

When we left Triton’s, Donald and Daisy were out for photos so I had a photo taken with them. Afterwards I headed back to the cabin to finish my unpacking and relax for a while with my book. At 15:00, I had another jewellery workshop. Again everything worked like clockwork. When I got to the Outlook Café, everybody was already waiting for me. Again it was great fun and everybody managed to finish their bracelet in the hour. While we were working on the jewellery, a crew member replenished the cakes in the glass cabinet where various goodies are available depending on the time of day. I have to say I could not resist the chocolate éclairs.

4289588.jpg

4289589.jpg

When I walked through the atrium on the way back from the jewellery workshop, I noticed that there was hardly anybody at Guest Services. I had my gift card that I needed to add to my stateroom account. I figured that there is no time as the present and headed back to the cabin to pick up the gift card. When I got back to Guest Services, there was only one person in front of me. I was seen very quickly and it was very straightforward to have the gift card added to the account and I was handed a print out of the account. When I headed back to the cabin, they were already handing out free drinks for the Captain's reception for those on early dining. I was offered an Apple Martini and it would have been rude to refuse.

Once I had finished my drink, I headed back to the cabin and picked up my swim stuff. I went up to Rainforest Room and relaxed in a heated tile lounger. At some stage Graham showed up as well. Once I had enough heat, I headed to the changing room to have a shower and then went back to the cabin to get changed into my evening gown and put some make up on.

I had never worn this evening gown before other than trying it on. I had bought it for our Christmas party last year, but it had not arrived in time so this was the first opportunity that I had to wear it. I got this from the same company that I had got my vow renewal dress from and it had identical measurements, but whereas my vow renewal dress fitted like a glove, this seemed to be a little too generous in the chest department and I was worried that I would end up showing more cleavage then I had bargained for.

While I was getting ready, I noticed that the message light on the phone was flashing. We had a message from Palo advising us that they had an opening for Brunch the next day and asking us to let them know if we were still interested. I tried to call them back as soon I had listened to the message. I only got through to voice mail and left a message that we are very much interested.

While I was putting my make up on, Graham came back to the cabin, too. He got changed while I finished putting on my make up and jewellery and once we were both ready, we headed upstairs to the atrium. As soon as we got there, we were offered drinks. I had another Apple Martini and Graham ended up with some orange concoction, that he rather liked, but had no idea what it was.

I decided to get into the line for the Captain's photo. We had a Captain that we had never met before, Captain Fabian, and the photo was therefore a must. Graham did not fancy getting into this line, but stayed somewhere close so that he could see the line. The line actually moved very quickly once Captain Fabian arrived and soon I was near the front. Once there were only a couple of families in front of us, Graham joined me. One of the members of Cruise Staff that were charged with crowd control for the Captain's photo was our Walk A Mile buddy Katy. We said "hi" to each other and exchanged some hugs. By the time we had met Katy, it was our time to meet the Captain. Graham commented on the nice big waves and asked if we could have some more. The Captain did not say much about this, but he obviously remembered this information as we found out the next evening.

4293473.jpg

4293474.jpg

Once we had our photo taken with the Captain, I headed up to deck 4 to have my photo taken with Mickey and Minnie in their formal wear. They were both out together, but once I got up there, the line had closed. I was advised that Minnie would be out by herself shortly and both would be out together again for semi-formal night. So I got into the line for Minnie. By the time I had met Minnie and had my photo taken, it was time to head for dinner.

4293214.jpg

4293215.jpg

P1010566.jpg

Dinner that night was at Animator's Palate and the menu that night was Taste of California. We had the same menu on the Panama Canal cruise and also I was initially a bit dubious about this, I actually really liked it. So I was glad to have another chance to sample this menu. Graham ended up with California Roll, Pumpkin Soup with Dungeress Crab and Beef Tenderloin with Tomato, Feta Cheese, Shrimp, Spinach and Red Bliss Potatoes. He passed on dessert. I had Stuffed Potato Croquets with a White Wine Sauce and Candied Walnuts, Pumpkin Soup without the crab meat, Beef Tenderloin with Tomato, Feta Cheese, Shrimp, Spinach and Red Bliss Potatoes and the Long Beach Sundae (Chocolate Ice Cream with Marshmallow and Granola) for dessert. We also had the first bottle from our wine package and had chosen the Enchanted Rose sparkling wine. Dinner was nice. At one point during dinner a photographer came round and took some photos and they actually turned out pretty nice. Our server reminded us that it was our character breakfast the next morning. Unfortunately this was at the same time as the wristbands for the special pins were being given out so I told our servers that we would not be at the breakfast the following morning.

4294020.jpg

4294021.jpg

4294022.jpg

4294023.jpg

After dinner, we had some more photos taken. Unfortunately the line for Mickey was already closed, but we had photos taken on the staircase and in front of a couple of different backdrops.

4297924.jpg

4297925.jpg

4297926.jpg

4297927.jpg

4297928.jpg

4297929.jpg

4298093.jpg

4298094.jpg

4298096.jpg

4298097.jpg

4298098.jpg

4298099.jpg

4301380.jpg

4301381.jpg

4301382.jpg

4301383.jpg

Once we had all of our photos taken, we headed back to the cabin. We had another message from Palo confirming our reservation for Brunch. We also had a Ducky Williams lithograph on the bed. I was curious what he had created for this cruise. I really like it, but I was a little disappointed that the lithograph does not have Stitch on it. I took a quick photo of our towel animal and then we headed to bed.

P1010567.jpg

P1010568.jpg

P1010930.jpg

Love your jewelry! You are very talented!

Ducky was two cabins down from us on our Panama cruise. He was a very nice man!

Oh I love those braclets Corinna, so pretty:goodvibes Another great day and lovely photos:goodvibes

What a nice relaxing day. I'm glad the workshops were a success, you were very generous with your time doing 9 of them!

You and Graham are so cute together, very nice photos :)

I can't wait to hear about brunch, I'm glad they had a spot open up.

1,100 members, that's fabulous!

Enjoying your report Corinna! I, too, love the bracelets, and that HAS to be the world's most beautiful DRESS.

I was at your kids jewellery workshop, but I'm so sorry that I didn't sign up for adult jewellery workshop, because bracelets are just beautiful.

Thanks for sharing your photos, you and Graham look wonderful.

I was one of the lucky ones to be in your Jewelery classes - I really enjoyed myself so much & have a beautiful bracelet to remember the cruse. It was fun meeting new people at the class too. You were so generous with your time and I for one THANK YOU so much. It truly was one of my highlights on the cruise.
Joyce:hug::flower3:

Wow! Corinna, I would love to meet you after hearing all the generous things you do for others on your trips. You seem like such a neat and giving person. Maybe we can meet up during your West coast repositioning layover, for coffee or something. I loved your "trash the dress" idea and you seem like such a fun loving gal, I'd love to meet you in person!

Can we figure out something for the time you are in CA for the next cruise? I should have suggested it when you were here, but we had a lot of "personal issues" going on that would have made it impossible then, but in a year who knows what will happen!

Wow! Corinna, I would love to meet you after hearing all the generous things you do for others on your trips. You seem like such a neat and giving person. Maybe we can meet up during your West coast repositioning layover, for coffee or something. I loved your "trash the dress" idea and you seem like such a fun loving gal, I'd love to meet you in person!

Can we figure out something for the time you are in CA for the next cruise? I should have suggested it when you were here, but we had a lot of "personal issues" going on that would have made it impossible then, but in a year who knows what will happen!

I would love to meet you when we next come over. At the moment the plan is that we fly in on the Thursday and then get on the Wonder the Monday.

Corinna

Corinna,

Very nice update and love your ideas for spending time and getting to know people.

The bracelets are beautiful and you are very talented.

The pictures are beautiful, and you look to be really enjoying yourself! :goodvibes

Your bracelets are so pretty! The pink one is especially sweet. I would love to be on a cruise with you and take a jewelry workshop..you're very talented.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter