Taking two kids alone to WDW (one special needs). Any tips??

riu girl

DIS Veteran
Our upcoming two week Florida holiday has turned into three weeks :cool1: due to Christmas holidays being different then what I first thought. DH can't take 3 weeks off in a row so the third week of the holiday (first two weeks spent in SW Florida, Siesta Key) will be me alone with DD8 and DS4 at WDW (Dec 31/05-Jan 7/06). We will be staying on site and using only WDW transportation.

As you may know DD8 has ADHD and mild Aspergers tendencies . She tends to get easily distracted and wanders. She has no fear of strangers and often starts conversations with people she doesn't know.

Any tips that would make this trip more enjoyable would be greatly appreciated. We had a GAC last trip and think we might get one again. We plan on getting to the parks at opening, staying until about 2 or 3 pm and then going back to POP for a swim and down time. On the day we hope to see Fantasmic or Epcot/MK fireworks we won't go to the parks until mid afternoon (allowing swim/quiet time in the morning).

We will purchase 6 day MYW tickets and spend two half days each at MK, studios and epcot.

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Suzy V.

here are some thoughts....

IMHO, since it just you and 2 kids, it might be helpful to be of the mindset that this is THEIR trip, not yours, and be prepared to do what they want, not necessarily what you want.

How do they get along? are they interested in the same things? are they able to talk to you before the trip about things they want to do/see and things they don't? talking to them in advance about things like getting autographs (are they interested in doing that?), rides, shows, etc., might help when you're actually there.

i don't think anyone can go wrong with the strategy "make a plan, but be prepared to totally ditch it." be flexible when you get there, and remember WDW will still be there for another trip.

you're going to have a great time!

-dj

I have been at WDW 3 times for New Years and I would suggest not going to a park on New Years Eve. Last year, we were Epcot from mid-morning to late afternoon. By that time it was very crowded - like the "you can barely walk without hitting someone if you swing your arm a little" type of busy - and Ecpot is not usually the busiest park. We ended up leaving Epcot and heading back to BWV, where we were staying. We were planning to sit out on the porch overlooking the Boardwalk for an hour or 2 and then head back to the park. As we were sitting there, a DJ started setting up and we staying in that same spot all evening. You could see the higher fireworks from Epcot, so we did get a little of that.
You might want to see what sorts of activities are planned at your resort for New Year's Eve.

The crowds are less (but still busy) on New Years Day, but by the 2nd, it's very quiet, so you should have little problem by then. By the second, you would be able to navigate the parks with a stroller if that would help you. I would not try it in 12/31, though.

I also think dj's idea of letting the kids plan is a good one. Most kids with ADHD are much more engaged/less distracted if they are involved. Depending on their map skills, you might want to have them doing the navigating thru the parks - another good way to keep them involved. There is a good book called (I think) WDW for Kids, by Kids that they might want to read. It has descriptions of the attractions with ratings by kids.

Piggybacking on what SueM said ... if you're going to be in a park on New Years Eve, go to AK. AK, by virtue of not having fireworks, will be somewhat less crowded than the other 3 parks.

We arrive in WDW on Dec 31, so I think that we will not go to any parks that day. We will be staying at POP.
Any suggestions as to what we could do that evening (want to be back at POP for 9 ish pm)?
I am thinking maybe the Boardwalk area. We have never been to that area at all and wonder if they would have any activities going on there that evening. Or maybe just staying at POP and playing at the playground, going for a big walk around the lake?? I haven't been to POP either so not really sure what to do there for that evening.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Suzy V
PS - Hi Eric! Remember me? We met briefly at the opening of AK Dec 18 or 19/04? It me was me (thin blonde with glasses), DH (roger) and Gracyn (nature girl) and Noah.

riu girl said:
PS - Hi Eric! Remember me? We met briefly at the opening of AK Dec 18 or 19/04? It me was me (thin blonde with glasses), DH (roger) and Gracyn (nature girl) and Noah.

Yes, I remember you ... and I still haven't found time to get a good trash can picture for you :( I'm very sorry about that.

Don't worry about the trash can picture. A very kind diser send me two beautiful ones ane one is hung up on our living room wall. :flower: The other one is in Gracyns room!!!!!

I imagine you can find various things to do around Pop Century Resort. Depending on the weather, it might be warm enough for a swim. Check out the resort & its various decades. Get a bite to eat at the food court. I ditto what has already been said about the parks on NYE, so I think you are smart to not use a day on your ticket on NYE. Have fun & enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter