Talk to me about Edge

hcox31

DIS Veteran
My oldest is going to be 11 on our next cruise. Talk to me about your kids experiences in Edge. He's the more introverted type of kid so not sure if he'll enjoy himself there.

Edge is non-structuring programming, meaning that tweens can come and go as they please with no checking in or out. Some activities do take place outside of the space (ie. Pizza making, scavenger hunt, Vibe invasion, sport court, D-Lounge activities) in addition to activities within the space (trivia, video games, Heroes vs. Villains). Due to its proximity to the pool deck, tweens use the space as a meeting point to do things around the ship.

My son liked the Edge. He liked going and playing video games. I really think your son should go the first night as that is when they plan activities for the week and all get to know each other. I would also recommend joining your cruise group on a social media site not to be named. They typically will set up pen pals for the kids so they can communicate before the cruise. My son had three kids he wrote back and forth to before our last cruise so he knew people before we stepped foot on the ship. That helped a LOT. We also went to eat with one of the boys families the night before the cruise which all of the kids and adults enjoyed. Sometimes it hard for us parents to make friends too and being in this group helped.

When my DS was 12, he loved it. He's usually shy and reserved, but he's the one that enjoyed it the most. My outgoing 15 year old was scared to go to Vibe (but ended up loving it when I made him go). BUT, DS12 did get bullied a little for having the Oceaneer band on, as well. He was called a baby for it by some 14 year olds, so just make sure you're having conversations with your child and if something like that happens, take the band off. Simple.

When my DS was 12, he loved it. He's usually shy and reserved, but he's the one that enjoyed it the most. My outgoing 15 year old was scared to go to Vibe (but ended up loving it when I made him go). BUT, DS12 did get bullied a little for having the Oceaneer band on, as well. He was called a baby for it by some 14 year olds, so just make sure you're having conversations with your child and if something like that happens, take the band off. Simple.
That's a good call re: the band. My son would wither and never go back if that happened. He's super sensitive.

And good idea re: getting him in touch with kids his age from our cruise group. Great idea. That would definitely help him.

My DD10 was looking forward to going into the Edge. On the EBTA she was allowed to because there aren’t a whole lot of kids on that particular sailing. Let me tell you, she was not a fan. She was really disappointed in the lack of things to do in there and she said all the boys were bullies. So she spent most of her time in the OC instead.

My dd liked it only for the video games. She enjoyed beating all the boys at them. That was pretty much the only reason she went.

My shy 11yo loved it. She hadn't liked the OC the previous cruise and didn't use it on our recent one either once she discovered Edge. We went the first afternoon and met the counselors. They were really friendly and had the kids all divided into teams (heros and villains) for some kind of games they would play. It is a much smaller area than the OC and I think it felt a little less overwhelming for that reason. She made a friend who she would text through the phone app and they would meet up there from time to time. She wasn't there excessively, but I feel like it was usually a couple of hours each day. She really liked the various activities they did.

Seems like it all depends on the make up of the kids. The second year my DS went to Edge, he had no troubles and made a few friends that he texted with for awhile after our cruise. But he was 13 by then, so maybe that made a difference.

My shy 11yo loved it. She hadn't liked the OC the previous cruise and didn't use it on our recent one either once she discovered Edge. We went the first afternoon and met the counselors. They were really friendly and had the kids all divided into teams (heros and villains) for some kind of games they would play. It is a much smaller area than the OC and I think it felt a little less overwhelming for that reason. She made a friend who she would text through the phone app and they would meet up there from time to time. She wasn't there excessively, but I feel like it was usually a couple of hours each day. She really liked the various activities they did.

This described me introverted 11yo exactly on our last cruise where she could visit Edge for the first time. She did OC once, then visited Edge and never looked back. She loved the freedom it provided her. She made at least one really good friend there that she still stays in contact with.

My oldest is going to be 11 on our next cruise. Talk to me about your kids experiences in Edge. He's the more introverted type of kid so not sure if he'll enjoy himself there.

My DD loved her first experience in Edge as an 11-year-old. This was a real test for me as a mom because being able to come and go from Edge was a new dose of independence for her. She participated in lots of group events-onboard scavenger hunts, multiple flash mobs, a dance performance taught by some of the Disney stage dancers, etc. On Castaway Cay she was doing activities with the group from Edge all day. Invading the teen hide-out was one of her favs! She is still in contact with the kids she met. Overall great experience:goodvibes

Enjoy your cruise!

-Kelly

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter