Talk to me about Haunted Mansion....

Clojel

DIS Veteran
So, my DD (who is 7) has been reluctant to try HM the last 2 times we were at Disney b/c she thought it would be too scary. I've never done the ride myself, but I've always thought it was more "campy" than actually scary? Anyone have an opinion? I know each kid is different but curious to see what experiences others have had.

It is dark and quite loud.
How does she feel about those things?
I think the noise level is what used to scare my son.

My grandson and I watched several YouTube videos of the ride and fireworks- I raised the volume the more we watched it. He was fine for both once we were actually on the ride and fireworks.

It is dark and quite loud.
How does she feel about those things?
I think the noise level is what used to scare my son.

She's usually ok with the dark .... she rode Tower of Terror last time. I think she's hesitant about HM b/c she doesn't know what to expect. The loud noises might bother her, but maybe if I gave her the heads up to expect it, she'd be okay. Thanks!

My grandson and I watched several YouTube videos of the ride and fireworks- I raised the volume the more we watched it. He was fine for both once we were actually on the ride and fireworks.

Watching a you tube video is a good idea! Thanks!

When I was a kid, I wasn't scared anywhere except the graveyard scene. I didn't even mind the stretch room. The pop up figures behind the tombstones really freaked me out though, because they were unpredictable. I grew out of it as a teen, and now it's my favorite MK ride.

Definitely more campy than scary, but it really depends on what your child finds scary. One DD has loved it since she was 5, but she loves scary. The other DD does not love scary, so it took her until 8, but it's a favorite ride now. Similar for both boys. They were leery until about 7, but now think it's awesome.

This is one of the better YouTube videos:

My 6 and 8 yr old rode it fine as toddlers. Now they both refuse to ride it bc it's "too creepy."

IMO it's a little scary until you get to Leota and mostly campy after that. My mom tried to tell me that as a kid, but after the casket scene, I didn't believe that crap!! LOL

I should have added that one tactic I used with the daughter that does not like scary was to kind of casually talk about how the scenes worked while we were riding. I could see her mind working to understand it, and I think just because of the fact that I was not really focused on the fact that it was scary, she didn't really look at it that way. After that one ride, she never blinked at riding it again, and I often hear her telling the boys how the various effects work.

If you can make it through the first room before you actually board the ride, you'll be just fine. That first part was always the worst for my little one, but it's not horrible.

Definitely more campy than scary, but it really depends on what your child finds scary. One DD has loved it since she was 5, but she loves scary. The other DD does not love scary, so it took her until 8, but it's a favorite ride now. Similar for both boys. They were leery until about 7, but now think it's awesome.

This is one of the better YouTube videos:

Thanks for the video link! I'll show it to DD :)

I should have added that one tactic I used with the daughter that does not like scary was to kind of casually talk about how the scenes worked while we were riding. I could see her mind working to understand it, and I think just because of the fact that I was not really focused on the fact that it was scary, she didn't really look at it that way. After that one ride, she never blinked at riding it again, and I often hear her telling the boys how the various effects work.

I could see that work for my DD as well..her mind is always going..figuring stuff out. Good tip!

My DD hated it at 5, and is refusing to go on it at 8. I was terrified of the thought of it at 10, and was mortified that my parents left me outside and took my 6 year old sister on it. Even more mortified when she came off laughing. Then I decided to go on it myself. ;)

When my DS was 4, the only thing that got to him was the stretch room. He screamed, "WE'RE TRAPPED!", and spidermonkey'ed all the way up to my wife's shoulders. Everybody in the room laughed , and even he laughed after the lights came back on. He loved it.

My DD5 understood it to be completely campy and not at all like "real" ghosts or scary things like that. After all, bloody WalkingDead-style zombies aren't jumping out at us or anything....

I think she was overwhelmed by the special effects more so than the content!

If you can make it through the first room before you actually board the ride

The thing I'd be most concerned about is the first room (the stretching room.) Every time the part about the "Chilling challenge...to find a WAY OUT" there's the thunder lightning effect with the guy hanging from the rafters. But the part I think that scares the little ones is all the people who let go a blood curdling scream when this happens. I'm not saying guest shouldn't do it, but I think that startles some of the younger kids.

Otherwise it's the best attraction on property. If your child doesn't go you should try to find a way to do it yourself. :earsboy:

If you are worried about the loud sounds, use some ear plugs. It might make her feel a little more secure. Viewing the videos will definitely help.

Two thoughts:

- It makes no difference how other kids have reacted to this ride. If YOUR child is reluctant, don't push -- it has to be her choice. If she gets scared, she may remain unsettled for the rest of the day, and you don't want to waste any portion of your Disney Day /upset your child over one ride.

- If you decide to ride, get her a glow stick or a glow bracelet (from the Dollar Store at home) and let her have that for the ride. I used to get them for my girls when we stayed in hotels /camped. That bit of light isn't enough to disturb other guests /keep the child awake, but it helps them feel a bit of control over the dark.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter