Tall teens: Show me your (long) shorts!

DISNEY1975

DIS Veteran
Im starting to shop for my 5'9" teen daughter and can not find any shorts that would not look like boyshorts on her. She needs at least a 5" inseam (7 would be better). Looking for something pretty (floral or pattern) that doesnt look like a school uniform but is super comfortable for camp/Disney!

Anyone with a tall teen that knows where to shop? The the Hollister/AF/Forever 21 etc...shorts are way too short.

TIA

My girl won't wear them - but Kohls has some Junior's Bermuda shorts that are much longer than the average these days, maybe those would work.

My girl won't wear them - but Kohls has some Junior's Bermuda shorts that are much longer than the average these days, maybe those would work.
Thanks! I jsut looked. They are all denim :( ( The ONE pair non denim was black...not good in the summer). Im looking for like a terry or cotton with a pattern or floral. She has a lot of solid Ts, but no shorts!

Im starting to shop for my 5'9" teen daughter and can not find any shorts that would not look like boyshorts on her. She needs at least a 5" inseam (7 would be better). Looking for something pretty (floral or pattern) that doesnt look like a school uniform but is super comfortable for camp/Disney!

Anyone with a tall teen that knows where to shop? The the Hollister/AF/Forever 21 etc...shorts are way too short.

TIA

Athleta has shorts in a variety of lengths, and several styles come in tall sizes. Athleta might seem pricey, but the clothes are excellent quality and last forever.

Another option is to look for golf shorts, which tend to be longer. Nike and Adidas are good brands to start with.

Retailers that I can think of that offer shorts in different lengths are Lands’ End, Talbots, and Boden. She may think these are ‘old lady’ places, but they do offer some cute prints!

Retailers that I can think of that offer shorts in different lengths are Lands’ End, Talbots, and Boden. She may think these are ‘old lady’ places, but they do offer some cute prints!

Those are great places, but not quite casual enough for camp! I LOVE Talbots. Got hooked on it last year for her..clothes have great prints and fun styles, at least I think. Her, not as much, but I did get an adorable skirt with built in shorts with a beachy sailboat pattern. She really likes it. Also got plain white shorts she wears a lot. Will probably fit again this year. Ill take a look now. Almost forgot about them. Thanks for the reminder!

My daughter is only 5’3” and shorts are short on her. I can only imagine how hard for a taller girl to find something suitable.

My DD loves the stretchy jegging style bermuda shorts we buy at Walmart/RiteAid/Kroger in the stockings section. They are super comfy, have back pockets, and look reasonably stylish while still modest. Also cool enough to wear in hot summers and they dry pretty fast if they get wet.

My DD isn't terribly tall, but she has legs up to her armpits. Good luck. I gave up on avoiding short shorts years ago. If longer ones were needed. she just got capris.

I'm 5'11" and I feel her pain!

I have found luck with Levi's having 7" inseam shorts. They're short enough to be shorts, and long enough that they're not Daisy Dukes. They're denim, though, but it's thin denim and comfortable for a Disney trip. (I wore them alternating with capris.)

Old Navy sells 5" inseams, and they may not be too short for your daughter (although they're too short for me if I have to sit down.)

They sometimes have spandex workout shorts in cute floral patterns that are above-knee.

Anything "mid-length" usually works well for me.

Just googling, I see some stuff at JCPenney and Macy's that fit the bill.

I like Aventura Clothing shorts. They come in several inseam lengths, are cool for summer, but maybe a bit plain for a teen. If you are just looking for something basic, they are a good option.

My DD loves the stretchy jegging style bermuda shorts we buy at Walmart/RiteAid/Kroger in the stockings section. They are super comfy, have back pockets, and look reasonably stylish while still modest. Also cool enough to wear in hot summers and they dry pretty fast if they get wet.
Do you know the brand I can look up on the walmart website? These sound great for camp.

My DD isn't terribly tall, but she has legs up to her armpits. Good luck. I gave up on avoiding short shorts years ago. If longer ones were needed. she just got capris.
Its not a preference, its a necessity. Literally the 2 - 3" inseams look like underwear on her.

I'm 5'11" and I feel her pain!

I have found luck with Levi's having 7" inseam shorts. They're short enough to be shorts, and long enough that they're not Daisy Dukes. They're denim, though, but it's thin denim and comfortable for a Disney trip. (I wore them alternating with capris.)

Old Navy sells 5" inseams, and they may not be too short for your daughter (although they're too short for me if I have to sit down.)

They sometimes have spandex workout shorts in cute floral patterns that are above-knee.

Anything "mid-length" usually works well for me.

Just googling, I see some stuff at JCPenney and Macy's that fit the bill.
Thanks. Ill look at the Levis and Penneys/Macys too. Yes, the Old Navy shorts are a little too short. She wore them until she was about 5'7". Not a good look when you get up from sitting down, or after running around and are constantly having to pull down the front legs of your shorts. I cant relate. Im 5'4" !!

What's your budget? Lilly Pulitzer has 7" and gorgeous patterns but... they ain't cheap especially if they're being used for camp.
I dont mind buying a couple expensive pair for vacation/outing, but for camp/ every day Id like to keep it around/under $20 - $30. Ill look at Lilly's site. Thank you!

Old navy has 7” inseams (I’m 50+, 5’8”, with a 32” inseam and they are my go to, and they’re inexpensive). I consider myself a modest dresser (unlike my teens with their diaper shorts).

Old Navy offers different lengths. I also love a specific pair of shorts from Walmart (literally have like 7 pairs and they're all I wear in summer) that have a bike liner attached to them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/5-Running-Short-with-Bike-Liner/515294009
Those are really cute! I just ordered one now in blue! THANK YOU!

Try Belk - they have a line called Crown and Ivy that is similar to Lily Pulitzer, and less expensive for camp/general summer stuff.

Good luck!!
Oh my goodness! I have never heard of that store. Just did a quick scroll down the Crown and Ivy shorts and want them all! PERFECT!!!!! Thank you SOOOO much! This is exactly what I was looking for :) They even have shorts for my husband! This is great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter