Target policy changed on GC

So can I no longer get a Target gift card with a Target gift card? I still have part of larger Target gift card from the 10% offer in December. I need to get a smaller gift card for a kid birthday party present and this would be the best way to do that.

I would definitely rather break down the larger Target gift card than use my Red Card to get the smaller one (because I don't get the 5% off on the new gift card purchase). If I can't break down the larger gift card, then I guess I'll get something else from somewhere else for this present.
Guest services can usually do this for you. It’s not buying a card it’s just transferring the balance to a new card. I’ve done it before.

Target's policy is still listed online that it is still allowed in store only. Last I heard was that it could take up to 4 weeks to fix the update, and that was about a week ago.

In my Target, they sell 2-day Disneyland passes so I can use Target gift cards for those. The problem is that I usually want 3-day+ passes for my kids (I have an annual pass).

You never get 5% off on Target gift cards. (If I'm wrong on that, please correct me because I'd love to use that for other gifts.) Disney and others, sure. But not their own store ones. So I'm better off using the Red Card on merchandise and other gift cards where it will actually apply, but for Target gift cards I got at a discount I'm better off using that for other Target gift cards (for actual gifts, imagine that for a gift card ;-)

You never get 5% off on Target gift cards. (If I'm wrong on that, please correct me because I'd love to use that for other gifts.) Disney and others, sure. But not their own store ones. So I'm better off using the Red Card on merchandise and other gift cards where it will actually apply, but for Target gift cards I got at a discount I'm better off using that for other Target gift cards (for actual gifts, imagine that for a gift card ;-)
Oh, ok. Gotcha now. I was just reading it wrong.

Any update on this? I am planning to go to Target today to use my gift cards for groceries. Would rather use them to get Disney Gift cards.

Any update on this? I am planning to go to Target today to use my gift cards for groceries. Would rather use them to get Disney Gift cards.
Well, you could give it a try and if it doesn't work then just pay for the groceries with the GC. There probably won't be any announcement by Target. The only way that there will be any updates would be if someone takes one for the team and makes an attempt to redeem a GC for a Disney GC.

Good luck! I hope that it works. Please let us know if it does.

Just tried a few hours ago in a Target near my home. Had both a store credit for a few items returned and a gift card that a friend gave us for Christmas. Neither one worked for a disney gift card or any gift card. Tried purchasing them from customer service. Manager informed me they are no longer allowing target gift cards or store credit to be used for gift card purchase. Must be used for merchandise in store or online. Asked if this is a new Target policy which he said yes but has not been announced yet. He could not override the register to allow to to purchase the gift card.

Well, you could give it a try and if it doesn't work then just pay for the groceries with the GC. There probably won't be any announcement by Target. The only way that there will be any updates would be if someone takes one for the team and makes an attempt to redeem a GC for a Disney GC.

Good luck! I hope that it works. Please let us know if it does.

So...I could not use target gc to buy disney gc directly. But I could ring up all my other things with the disney gift card. When it came time to pay it only took the target gc amount for the other items I bought. I had to use another form of payment (I used my red card) for the disney gc. This was on self-checkout.

This, to me, is confirmation that the policy has in fact changed. Others here posted that when the computer "glitch" first appeared disney gc had to be rung up totally separate from any items that were being paid for with a target gc. Looks like they worked out that kink and everything can be rung up together - as long as you pay for the disney gc some other way. Still have some free target gc money I will just use as I did today. But my earnings from swagbucks, etc will be used mostly for Paypal for now and maybe Walmart if they keep letting us buy disney gc with a walmart gc.

I agree with DizMe...I was planning on accumulating those gift cards from Target "deals" to help pay for our trip. Sad days!

So...I could not use target gc to buy disney gc directly. But I could ring up all my other things with the disney gift card. When it came time to pay it only took the target gc amount for the other items I bought. I had to use another form of payment (I used my red card) for the disney gc. This was on self-checkout.

This, to me, is confirmation that the policy has in fact changed. Others here posted that when the computer "glitch" first appeared disney gc had to be rung up totally separate from any items that were being paid for with a target gc. Looks like they worked out that kink and everything can be rung up together - as long as you pay for the disney gc some other way. Still have some free target gc money I will just use as I did today. But my earnings from swagbucks, etc will be used mostly for Paypal for now and maybe Walmart if they keep letting us buy disney gc with a walmart gc.
Thanks for the update. It's such a disappointment but I had a feeling that the gravy train would end someday. Too bad. I rarely shop at Target except when I have a GC from one of my rewards programs to redeem for a Disney GC. I guess I'll just redeem for PayPal from now on and then buy the Disney GC at another store where my credit card is offering bonus points.

Thanks for the update. It's such a disappointment but I had a feeling that the gravy train would end someday. Too bad. I rarely shop at Target except when I have a GC from one of my rewards programs to redeem for a Disney GC. I guess I'll just redeem for PayPal from now on and then buy the Disney GC at another store where my credit card is offering bonus points.

Yeah - 5X back at grocery stores now for Freedom and Discover It. That is what I will do for this quarter. Also, Best Buy takes Chase Pay - 5% from Freedom there too.

It's funny how everyone claims it's a computer "glitch." I work in software development and those glitches takes just seconds to fix. This is just a way for target to close the loophole that everyone was taking advantage of.

It's funny how everyone claims it's a computer "glitch." I work in software development and those glitches takes just seconds to fix. This is just a way for target to close the loophole that everyone was taking advantage of.

Yeah I didn’t think it looked like a glitch either. It was clearly programmed in to reject a purchase of gift cards with gift cards and had the warning text to tell you that (I use the self checkout)

Well both behaviors occurred at the same time - the way it worked for you (and me) and the way like the website (no GC to pay if GC in the cart) - from what I recall so it's still not definitive I don't think. So it could be that's what the glitch is that somehow some stores got the website way, which isn't desirable, and that's what they're fixing. Or since some regions had already decided to not allow it due to fraud issues, it may be that they're trying programming options for those regions to opt into and the "glitch" was it was turned on nationwide. BUT, secretly I'm really thinking that this is the way it will work once they decide to change corporate policy; and they may be evaluating how much not allowing GC - GC purchases hurts the bottom line during this "glitch" period to then decide how/when/where to roll it out.
I'm trying to be optimistic about it even though it's not really in my nature :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter