Teen test anxiety/panic?

Here's another bit of info from our experience to think about

One of our son's issues really manifested during Covid shut downs. I encouraged him to go to mental health on his college campus. They were so overwhelmed with students that he was never able to get an appointment.

By that time, he turned 21 and seeking help was on him. It becomes more difficult as they become adults to find professionals for them and get them to make or go to appointments.
There is definitely a shortage of mental health professionals, and an increase in people seeking help. I often refer people to psychologytoday.com. You can search by location, insurance, age, issues to address, etc. Listings are usually pretty up to date when it comes to whether or not they are taking new clients.

You can also ask through the school if there is anyone she can see in the meantime- is there a school psychologist or social worker?

While waiting to get in to talk to someone (and I do think that therapy is a good idea), would she be amenable to trying some basic mindfulness exercises? 5 Things is a simple way to center and ground and get your mind into the present.

ETA: Even though it's a children's book, I highly, highly recommend I Am Peace by Susan Verde (I think.) I give it as gifts to my interns before their certification exam and I use it often with my clients of all ages struggling with anxiety (grief counselor, but anxiety often skyrockets in grief, so I do a lot of teaching of coping mechanisms.)

Study more to be more confident in taking the tests? I mean if you know the material, the tests shouldn't be too hard, right? (i'm sure things have changed a lot since I was in school, but if I know my stuff I wouldn't be too concerned)
Unfortunately this is not always the case. I see students who are in medical/dental/nusrung/pharmacy school who were the top of their undergraduate class. Who are constantly studying, who know the material forward and backwards, but struggle to demonstrate their true knowledge. We discuss new approaches to learning or managing their anxieties, but sometimes their anxieties can block demonstrating their knowledge and abilities. This is when I encourage them to consider meeting with a counselor. There may be other underlying concerns that need to be addressed beyond my level of support. Or even diagnosis made that could possibly lead to accommodations.

Telling someone to study more is an old school solution that can do more harm than good. I’ve seen students sacrifice sleep, eating, physical fitness or other self care outlets in order to spend more time studying. To the point where they fail out or have breakdowns.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter