Tell me about AKL - Kidani!

adventure_woman

DIS Veteran
We are renting points and staying at Kidani for the first time. pixiedust: We have been to AKL before to visit/eat but have not stayed there. We have 2 girls - 7 and 3. Any advice/hints/etc? :cool1::cool1: We are SO excited!! :cool1::cool1:

With such little legs, I'd recommend familiarizing yourself with the layout of Kidani-where the rooms are-and ask at the front desk at check-in where your room is. When I was there, the walk from my room was so incredibly long I wondered what would have happened if I HADN'T requested close to the lobby. I was in the 7th "pod" out-once you see a map, hopefully the word "pod" will be clear. Also, if your little ones like to swim, Kidani seems to have one of the nicest pool and play areas of any WDW resort. There's no QS at Kidani, but there is a shuttle out front every 15 minutes or so.

The pool/splash area is fantastic for young kids. Also, there are a lot of activities during the day, just get a list from the lobby. Fun things for kids!
Don't worry about the 'no counter service', we had almost 3 year old twin grandsons at our last stay and we didn't have a problem.

The walk from Kidani to Jambo house (where there is Mara's - a counter service) is fun for kids, or if you don't want to walk, there is a shuttle that runs between the two resorts, just ask any cm as you head out the door.

Just got back. We were there 12/16-26. Overall, it was a great place to stay (love seeing the animals, everyone was really friendly, etc.), but our 2BR was a disaster. I am going to post it in a new thread so I don't hijack yours.

Tips:
1) Definitely ask for a room close to the lobby. Hallways are LONG (like 1/4 mile or more -- not joking).
2) Check everything to make sure it's working properly. Lots of things were messed up in our room, which is weird to me since it was just remodeled in 2009.
3) We didn't do the pool (was freezing!), but hear they are great.
4) Definitely do Sanaa. It was awesome.
5) If you get a room with the giant whirlpool bath (not sure if in a 1BR, but definitely in the 2BR), the girls will love it!

I also just read that there is free laundry available for the Studios on the 1st floor - is this correct?

Yes, free laundry. If you are in a studio, the laundry facilities are across the hall from the community hall. If you are in a 1or 2BR there is a stackable washer/dryer in your villa.
We love Kidani, it is a home resort and we stay there often. We like all the activities in and around both Kidani and Jambo. Pools are great, as are the pool parties. As mentioned, request close to the lobby. Take advantage of all the activities, your kids may enjoy free cookie decorating at Boma (1pm), the community hall and night vision goggles. As well as the movies at the pools and roasting marshmallows. There is also a culinary tour for yourself which is free. You can (we have) spend the trip just relaxing at this wonderful resort! Enjoy!!

I have a reservation for a 1BR STD view at Kidani. Are pool views considered STD? Are those close to the lobby? Is there parking underneath that section?

We are renting points and staying at Kidani for the first time. pixiedust: We have been to AKL before to visit/eat but have not stayed there. We have 2 girls - 7 and 3. Any advice/hints/etc? :cool1::cool1: We are SO excited!! :cool1::cool1:

I have boys, so I had a rule - no toys on the balcony! You can get kicked out if anyone drops something onto the savannah. Also, you are not allowed to have balloons in your room for similar reasons. We loved our stay there. Even if you don't have a savannah view, just walking the hallways you can see the animals on the savannah. Also, of course, you can see the animals at all the viewing locations. There will be a walk to the counter service at Jambo House, but it's not too far. We did take our stroller for the walk, however. We cooked breakfast in our 2 bedroom every morning except the last, so we only went to Mara (CS) a few times. The playground is at Jambo and we actually never went to it.

I have a reservation for a 1BR STD view at Kidani. Are pool views considered STD? Are those close to the lobby? Is there parking underneath that section?

Yes, the pool views are standard view. I would put in a request if this is what you want. It can be a little bit of a walk from the lobby, but it won't be all the way at the end, usually pod 3 or so. And yes, there is parking under almost all rooms, but definitely under the pool view rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter