Tell me about Rock 'n' Roller Coaster... I don't like launches!

laurajetter

Mouseketeer<br><Font color="red">The Tag Fairy thi
When it comes to roller coasters, my husband and I are kind of wimps. Really it's mainly the long, steep drops we don't like, you know, that feeling of your stomach dropping out that everyone else lives for we basically can't stand! I'm perfectly fine with high speed, loops, corkscrews, high heights and anything else, it's just the falling feeling I hate.

A number of years ago we were at some run-of-the-mill amusement park and saw what seemed like an innocent coaster that simply made a loop and didn't have a tall drop. It was very short, and operated in a linear fashion, started at one end, made the loop and then came backwards through the loop to the beginning again. We thought it couldn't be that bad, we liked loops, there's no drops, what could be bad? Well, that was our introduction to launch coasters. Little did we know that the high acceleration in just a few seconds actually recreated that stomach-dropping lurch we detested so much. Since it took us by surprise and was pretty intense, we came off of the ride kind of shaking from that experience!

Never again have we done any launch coasters... we only stick to ones that the main drop isn't super long or that it curves since that seems to take away from the stomach-dropping feeling. Even though this has kind of been our self-imposed rule, I've been very curious about RnR and deep down I think I want to try it, but I'm scared! Yes, a grown woman and I'm admitting my somewhat irrational fear of something that literally takes a few seconds to get past. I'm pretty sure I'd love the rest of the ride if I can just get through that launch.

So all this to ask if you all can describe the launch part to me... does anyone know the speed it gets up to in those few seconds? Do you in fact get that stomach-dropping feeling, or is there a chance that perhaps was the one we rode was more intense? I just assumed any launch coaster would be the same but the more I think about it, I'm wondering if certain factors (like how high the speed gets up to) may cause certain launches to be not as bad as others? I'm hoping to hear something from you guys that might convince this fraidy-cat to try it out!

It goes 0-57 in about 3 seconds. I won't lie, its intense, but its fun =]

I won't lie. I didn't go on it again after the first time years ago last time I went

This year though, I am going to do it. Once you get past the launch, its OK at that point. No MEGA drops or anything

If you don't like that feeling then I wouldn't go on.
0-60mph in 2.8 seconds.
I've been on much more intense coasters and I still feel the amazing stomach feeling during the RNRC launch just like the feeling I get during the TOT drops.

It's crazy intense at the launch. I instinctively brace for impact every time. However, it's an awesome coaster. My nightmare is ToT. I hate being dropped.
That's my nightmare, too! I'm trying to get the nerve to make it through the first few seconds of RnR because I know the reward for me will be that the entire rest of the ride will be enjoyable. ToT is nothing but being dropped over and over and over. I do feel like I'm missing out on all the theming, because it seems awesome, but no amount of Disney magic will convince me to go on that ride!

Last edited:
Okay, it's sounds like just what I was afraid of... :faint:

Next question- If I do decide to do it, any recommendations for how best to handle it? I know my tendency is to brace for impact and completely tense up my body. I couldn't imagine relaxing, but would that in fact help diminish the sensation a bit? Or does it not really matter what you're doing with your body, it's going to feel as wretchedly awful either way?

I think you’ll be okay! I don’t get that stomach dropping feeling in RnR at all. Just keep your head back in the seat.

Next question- If I do decide to do it, any recommendations for how best to handle it? I know my tendency is to brace for impact and completely tense up my body. I couldn't imagine relaxing, but would that in fact help diminish the sensation a bit? Or does it not really matter what you're doing with your body, it's going to feel as wretchedly awful either way?

Its funny. I hate coasters but I will do them at Disney World. Now that I have been there a few times, each time I held on less and less and just really tried to enjoy it. I use to close my eyes all the world, hold on right. Not anytime. Now I just let my body be free

I plan on doing that for Rock and Roller coaster this year.

I will NEVER, and I mean NEVER do TOT though. I hate drop feelings

I do not like the launch aspect of RnRC. At all. That being said, it is nowhere near the terror inducing, stomach (not excatly) dropping, launch sequence that one gets with Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point. Which is, literally, the worst ride I have ever been on, and I am ashamed to admit, I spent hours (like, more than 3) in line to do so.

So, RnRC? Not that bad. But not particularly good. We skipped it entirely last trip (with the somewhat lame excuse that DD was not yet tall enough to ride). We did not miss it.

My nightmare is ToT. I hate being dropped.

Lucky for you, tot doesn’t drop you. It pulls you. It’s under control while being pulled down.

I'm trying to get the nerve to make it through the first few seconds of RnR because I know the reward for me will be that the entire rest of the ride will be enjoyable.

That’s not the case for me. I despise the launch so much that the rest of the ride is just trying to be ok.

The launch is intense and painful for my lungs and I don’t like any part of the coaster.

I’ll deal with a very similar launch at California Screamin’, but that’s because the ride is very pleasant afterward.

If I do decide to do it, any recommendations for how best to handle it?

Do NOT turn your head. Look forward. The moment you turn your head will no doubt be the moment they launch and then it’s even worse.

Breathe forcibly but steadily OUT during the launch. That really helps with the stomach feeling (do it for drops on other rides, too!), and helps my poor lungs not feel like they are being to collapse.

Can’t lie - the launch is intense. It’s not among the top 10, but it still packs a punch. As a PP noted, about 0-60 in 2.8 seconds. I don’t notice a stomach drop so much as the compression from the acceleration and a bit like having the air forced out of me. A little deep breathing before the launch helps that. And the ride overall is so much fun that it’s worth it.

One thing that doesn’t help - the “limo” pulls around and stops for a bit before taking off. That brief wait seems to intensify the launch - especially since you’re going from a dead stop. The countdown also catches people off guard (spoiler: you launch right after 2 and not 1).

One other note on the ride - you pull over 5g’s, which does rank the coaster in the top 10. As a result, you feel it quite a bit as you launch and go into the rollover at the end of the straightaway (which, as some people like to point out, subjects riders to higher g-forces than astronauts experience on shuttle takeoff). Maybe save it for the end of the day at DHS if you decide to give it a shot.

R'n'R used to be "my ride"... my brother and I would ride it multiple times back to back. Now I'm "old" and also just don't want to ride alone lol. One thing I love about the coaster is the restraint. I like how it latches, and the handles on it. So, that's my advice; if you ride, you'll see where and when the launch happens, so you will be prepared. When the launch is getting ready, look straight ahead, hold the handles on your chest restraint, push back against the headrest a bit with the back of your head. As someone else mentioned I think it would help breathing out when the launch happens, or tense your abs. They take your pic near the end of your launch, so that's always fun. ;)

ToT is nothing but being dropped over and over and over. I do feel like I'm missing out on all the theming, because it seems awesome, but no amount of Disney magic will convince me to go on that ride!
If you mean ToT theming, then just walk the entire queue (which includes the lobby, library, and basement boiler room.)
Then, just tell the CM at loading that you have decided not to ride.
No big deal. Happens all the time.
You’ll then ride a regular brightly-lit office elevator one floor down to the exit area of the attraction elevators.

I loved RNRC until three years ago. As soon as it took off, I knew immediately I was going to be sick...and I was right. :guilty: We had to go straight back to the hotel for the night. :sad1:

:rolleyes: I will also admit I may have gotten sick from the 5 course wine pairing lunch (had 6-7 glasses of wine) DH and myself had earlier in the day, but I just cannot take that chance again. Everest I can ride over and over with no problem, but that takeoff is :scared:

I don't think there is really anything you can do to physically prepare your body for the launch. IMHO, the launch just doesn't stop. You launch and the feeling stays with you the entire ride. I've ridden it 3 times. The first time was horrendous and I kept my eyes closed. The second time, I thought keeping my eyes open would help and it did a little bit. The third time, about 3 years ago, the launch and speed affected me so badly that my entire body was shaking by the end. And then I couldn't get the harness off and I couldn't get a CM's attention - I thought, if they didn't see me, they would put me through to the beginning and I would have to ride it again (a bit irrational, yes). I YELLED for the CM to PLEASE help me get out. I could barely walk. Never, ever, ever again.

It's a lot of fun unless you don't like launches. Its very quick, but a good part of it is in the dark, so you don't see that you are going that fast, you just feel the acceleration.
One of my favorite rides, but I love launched coasters. Also realize it has loops and corkscrews as well.

I'm a huge ride wimp and despise drops but promised to try each ride at least once on my last trip. I thought the launch was intense speed-wise but I never got the stomach drop feeling. I closed my eyes through the first loop (great ride photo-Not!) and then enjoyed the rest. I actually never got the drop feeling on ToT either, which amazed me.

I do not like stomach dropping either. Exhale slowly out of your mouth as the launch is taking place. you will round the bend before you know it. This really works!! The rest of the ride is fast but there are really no other tricky spots. My kids are young and love this ride and make me go on it a few times every trip. You guys can do this! FWIW, I HATE TOT!! I go on it but really dislike it and tell myself each and everytime that it is my last time :P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter