Tell me about walking akv cl

jcjen519

DIS Veteran
We want to do 9 nights dec 2014 leaving for home on the 23rd. (I think) I am walking the reservation already because I thought between all the holidays it was best to start early and grab when I could. Started walking late oct. Wondering what everyone else typically does. How early do you start walking an akv cl reservation?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Typically, if you are going to walk a reservation, you would begin with an arrival date that is six days or less before the first day of the time you really want so that when you make your first reservation at 11 months out, you capture at least the first night of the trip you want. Neverthelees, AKV CL is a special animal, particularly if seeking studio or 2BR (1BR usually does not need walking). The problem is you can go on line almost any time of year at exactly 11 months out and find the first night or more that you want for a studio or 2BR already gone to those who reserved days before you. Thus, the key is to find a day you can actually begin a reservation 11 months out and your method seems one way to do that if trying to get Dec time, although there is a chance trying to start with time in the third week of December could be a good starting time to begin walking since it is the slowest week in Dec.

Your best bet would be to rent points from an owner at AKL to book this for you at 11 months out. Even then it will be iffy as there are only 5 two bdrm lockoffs available.
At 7 months out I have gotten 3 two night stays ONLY and those days were during the middle of the week - no weekends. There were no additional days available and you are looking at going during one of the busiest times of the year.

Your best bet would be to rent points from an owner at AKL to book this for you at 11 months out. Even then it will be iffy as there are only 5 two bdrm lockoffs available.
At 7 months out I have gotten 3 two night stays ONLY and those days were during the middle of the week - no weekends. There were no additional days available and you are looking at going during one of the busiest times of the year.

Not sure but I think she is already an owner as she started walking in Oct for next december?

OP - good luck with it!

Thanks guys. I am an owner at akv but this is my first time walking a reservation. Wondering how early you guys start for a non-holiday time reservation. For example mid sept reservation or something. I don't know that I needed to start in it for dec but I thought better not to risk it. :)

Also I should probably know this but can owners at kidani book at jambo house 11 months out and vice versa. I am thinking the answer is yes. We bought at jambo before kidani was built.

Thanks guys. I am an owner at akv but this is my first time walking a reservation. Wondering how early you guys start for a non-holiday time reservation. For example mid sept reservation or something. I don't know that I needed to start in it for dec but I thought better not to risk it. :)

Also I should probably know this but can owners at kidani book at jambo house 11 months out and vice versa. I am thinking the answer is yes. We bought at jambo before kidani was built.

Jambo and Kidani are considered one resort (Animal Kingdom Villas). So you have 11 months at either.

Wondering how early you guys start for a non-holiday time reservation. For example mid sept reservation or something. I don't know that I needed to start in it for dec but I thought better not to risk it. :)

As I noted above, typically someone walking usually does not start until he can at least capture the first night he actually wants as the last night he can reserve. As I also noted AKV club level is unique in standing alone as the only rooms that can be gone any time of year before your 11 month window opens (any other rooms having the issue have only very limited times of year when walking might be needed and September would never be one of those times). As a result, what your doing with AKV is actually a good idea, and if you were looking for Sep, you might even start sometime iin first half of August, with the key being finding a day you can actually start.

As to anything else the issue is a lot different when you are an AKV owner. You never need walking for savanna view, standard view, or GVs at AKV (in fact those are usually open even at 7 months out). The only other risk an AKV owner has is value studios and 2BRs and for most of the year you don't need walking for any of those. The time periods you may consider it for value is when looking for Thanskgiving time (and your actual arrival date is the Tues or Wed of Thanksgiving week rather than before), first week of Dec, particularly if arrival date will actually be after Dec 1, second week of Dec, and for Christmas day through Jan 1. And in each of those cases, you might not even need to walk, but starting walking to reserve beginning a few days before your actual arrival date should be more than sufficient to assure capturing what you actually want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter