• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell me something I don't know

qman6975

Mouseketeer
I consider myself a Disney veteran. In a week we arrive for our sixth family trip and I think I've run out of things I need to know. I for example know that:

- I should arrive a rope drop.
- I booked my fast passes 60 days out and I know about additional fast passes after the initial three.
- I planned which parks to visit on which days based on crowd calendars and this Board.
- I've read the "Unauthorized Guide" from front to back.
- I've spent months on this Board picking up tidbits and advice.
- I've watched tens of U-Tube videos on the subject including the folks at DIS Unplugged.

Honestly the only new thing I picked up was the mobile ordering of food at the counter service restaurants.

So my question is this to you hard core Disney folks out there....what is your deepest park secret you have? There must be one obscure tip you can give out!

Its probably too late in terms of scheduling things.... however I have found that eating meals relatively early really helps save time and avoid crowds.

For example, by having a little something for breakfast, doing lunch at 11am or so, and dinner at 5-ish helps to avoid long lines, issues getting a table, and especially a 30+ minute wait for an ADR. Also, with restaurants much quieter, it makes for a much more relaxing experience. Cast members are often much more pleasant, and places are much cleaner.

I consider myself a Disney veteran. In a week we arrive for our sixth family trip and I think I've run out of things I need to know. I for example know that:

- I should arrive a rope drop.
- I booked my fast passes 60 days out and I know about additional fast passes after the initial three.
- I planned which parks to visit on which days based on crowd calendars and this Board.
- I've read the "Unauthorized Guide" from front to back.
- I've spent months on this Board picking up tidbits and advice.
- I've watched tens of U-Tube videos on the subject including the folks at DIS Unplugged.

Honestly the only new thing I picked up was the mobile ordering of food at the counter service restaurants.

So my question is this to you hard core Disney folks out there....what is your deepest park secret you have? There must be one obscure tip you can give out!

Honestly, my deepest park secret is to say "You do you". Do what fits your and your family. For example, I don't think you need to rope drop. We never do, ever (except water parks), there's no need. We don't use crowd calendars, don't read WDW books or YouTube. I definitely have picked up tips here, such as learning how to refresh (which I am now very much into doing). But we still vacation our own way, and that's my best suggestion to you.

With new security, travel times, etc... it's better to just hop an Uber or Lyft if you have a reservation at another resort (read: not a Minnie Van, but an actual Uber/Lyft). It'll cost you around $7-$12 but you won't be stressing out going to MK->Going through Security->hopping a monorail or the boat to another resort, etc.

Little foodie tip - there's a gelato stand in Italy. Never realized it until my last trip. Go there. You won't be disappointed.

Save the kiddie and family friendly rides until nighttime, after the fireworks. There will be a mass exodus right after the fireworks and Peter Pan, etc. will go down drastically.

One of the best views of Epcot is while riding the monorail. If you can angle your camera right (to avoid glare), you get a drone-like photo/video of the park.

The flavored popcorn cart in Epcot will mix the popcorns. Go with the sour cream/Chive + the buffalo. Ask them to layer it.

Starbucks gives out free water. Just ask for a Venti iced water. I was unaware, but some QS locations will fill your water bottle free of charge. Now I bring my Hydroflask everywhere I go.

Watch the parade from Frontierland. Line up by the Country Bear Jamboree so you're in the shade and out of the sun; once it passes, hop over to a ride. The parade starts in Frontierland, so you'll get a head start on crowds to get to the rides.

Even as a Disney vet, I didn't know this - I had been to Cinderella Castle SO many times. Maybe it's bc I was obsessed with getting different angles of the castle, itself... but inside the castle is a gorgeous mosaic.

You can split meals on the DDP.

Don't just concentrate on the big rides. Walk some of the smaller, side trails. Especially at AK, the side trails are fun and have great views.
Pay attention to the small details.
Listen to the phones in the phone booths at MK and UK in EPCOT
In MK, go down the side paths on Main Street. Listen to the conversations that are in the different buildings.

When leaving FW and heading into EP WS, do not use the restrooms at Refreshment Port! Tiny bathroom, super long lines. Just keep swimming and use the lovely, big bathrooms in the UK pavilion. That is my deepest, darkest tip, LOL!
Learned this in March, not making that mistake again

When leaving FW and heading into EP WS, do not use the restrooms at Refreshment Port! Tiny bathroom, super long lines. Just keep swimming and use the lovely, big bathrooms in the UK pavilion. That is my deepest, darkest tip, LOL!
You mean the ones with two stalls in it. Yes those can be slow unless your the only one there

Its probably too late in terms of scheduling things.... however I have found that eating meals relatively early really helps save time and avoid crowds.

For example, by having a little something for breakfast, doing lunch at 11am or so, and dinner at 5-ish helps to avoid long lines, issues getting a table, and especially a 30+ minute wait for an ADR. Also, with restaurants much quieter, it makes for a much more relaxing experience. Cast members are often much more pleasant, and places are much cleaner.

Thanks, we've been talking about meals and how not to let them eat up too much of the schedule...this will help!

Take a mid-day break! We take a break every day: swim, nap or just relax. We really try and enjoy our hotel as well.

This is what we typically do...we get to the park at rope drop, use our three fast passes between 11:00 am and 2:00 pm and then head back to the resort to relax. We then head out for the evening for fireworks/more rides.

There was no wait to see Ana and Elsa at 8:50 pm in Norway / Epcot, right before the fireworks. It was actually quite nice (and freakish given how popular the greet is) because we were the only one there and both of the characters talked to DC for a while.

Oh! Just thought of a few more...

- Don't just walk around the World Showcase - go into each country. For years we were guilty of just passing through each pavilion on the way to the next food booth. Some of the pavilions are gorgeously themed and have a ton of awesome areas/photo ops/backstories. My favorites include Canada (go alllll the way back), Morocco (we never ventured back there and I finally did—beautiful!), Japan, China, and of course, France. Had we never ventured back, we would have never found the French Bakery.

- When there's a parade going on and you need to/want to get down Main Street (or when Main Street is just crowded), use the Emporium. It runs up and down Main Street—from Town Square all the way through Casey's. Nice was to avoid the crowds and get some shopping done.

- Another idea we came up with on our last trip re: the free water at Starbucks... If you're on the DDP, order a venti whatever and a Grande water. Pour the water into a water bottle and then split the Venti. You only use on snack credit and get two decently sized drinks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter