Tell me your good experiences at Kona Cafe for DINNER

MandLBee

Mouseketeer
I wanted to catch dinner at the Poly on arrival night so we could walk the beach and see the fireworks. I’m not interested in Ohana and thought Kona Cafe seemed more my style. But I’m not seeing much chatter about Kona except for the breakfast.
The menu and all the pics I’m seeing look fantastic. I don’t need a huge meal and I won’t be in a hurry. I was thinking of sharing sushi, getting a cocktail, and a dessert. Any experiences you want to share would be helpful!

Kona is awesome, we really like this eatery!

The sushi is really good, we have had it a couple times.

Ohana gets a lot of attention, good and bad. Kona just seems to be left out.

We have had several yummy dinners at Kona. In fact, IMO, it is a hidden gem! Sushi is very good, but also many other great options in the menu. Also very reasonable!

We love Kona for dinner. It can be quite slow on service; it seems every time we've gone, it's been understaffed. But once we realized that and prepared for it going in, we've had some wonderful meals there.

I haven't been to the Poly in years, but from what I understand the bar also has sushi and desserts, so that may be an option as well (probably quicker & no need for an ADR just in case).

We’ve been twice for dinner. You can order the Lapu Lapu at Kona Cafe. We really enjoy watching the monorail go by! The bread is awesome and we’ve always had great food and service.

We stopped in for a early dinner not to long ago we got so lucky, we did not have ADR's, but it was early for dinner, and there was only the 2 of us, we waited like 10 minutes. We were starving so we did share the dumplings, then some how we got sticky wings, which we did not order. But the food runner was like oh well I can't take it back to the kitchen enjoy. I will say both were very good, and we would order both again. DH went with the Pork chop, got mashed potatoes with it, not sure if it came with it or not. He enjoyed it but said it was a bit overcooked, but tasted good. I went with the fresh catch of the day, and it had rice noddles and other stuff. It was good but just kinda different, like a soft boiled egg in the dish, I enjoyed it but it was just different. We skipped dessert, as we decided that Mickey ice cream would hit the spot later on. Over all it was nice to sit down, service was quite good, as well as the food.

You might want to think about Capt. Cook's for a meal. We love the choices here, not just standard quick serve options. I like the Pork Sandwich, pork Fried rice, and Noodles with veggies and shrimp or chicken or the Hawaiian flat bread . DH the Kahuna sandwich, with out the red pepper spread, Bacon Cheese burger, Pork friend rice, and pepperoni flat bread.
Our grandson, like the chicken and pineapple skewers or the chicken nuggets..

..My experience with Kona is not so good. I do not eat sushi, so I felt the food options were limited as a result. The restaurant is not very large and one whole side of the restaurant is open to the lobby areas of the Polynesian Resort, which leads to a lot of noise (great maybe for people watching, etc.) Our service was slow and I mean real slow. I would not go again. Much prefer Captain Cook's for a quick meal

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter