Tenters - what do you do with electric & water hook ups?

Gillian

DIS Veteran
When I was little I remember the big orange water jug that my parents lugged! No hook up sites were the way to go :)

Recently, we were in a partial hookup site in PA & loved the convenience of having water right there. I'm sure we'll go for that again, but aren't sure what to do with the electricity. Can you just plug in regular stuff? Can you even use it outside? What about the water? I was thinking a small hose with a spray thing would be convenient.

Are we going to have to buy a pop up to really use everything?

We have a pop up now but when we tent camped at FW we used the electricity for the A/C, TV, CD, Radio, Fan, toaster, crock pot, ele griddle, lights, charging the golf cart, and on and on...... We have seen just about every thing that can be plugged in and used at one time or the other. A lot of the tent campers at FW will bring large carport type canopies that cover almost their entire campsite. I have seen big screen TVs, full size refrigerators, microwaves, and just about all the comforts of home. But the A/C, fans and lights are what I would consider most important.

bring large carport type canopies that cover almost their entire campsite. I have seen big screen TVs, full size refrigerators, microwaves

oh the mental image this gives me :D :D

The electric box has regular household recepticles as well as 30 & 50 amp RV outlets.

We plug in a coffeepot, electric frying pan, crockpot, lights, heaters, etc, etc.

We usually set up our screen tent over the picnic table and electrical outlet.

I use mine for the alarm clock, small fan, and cell phone charger.

Originally posted by Memph1s
when we tent camped at FW we used the electricity for the A/C

A/C for a tent?? Like you, I'm from Florida. We won't even consider camping from April to October due to the heat, humidity and bugs. BUT, an A/C unit for a tent might change our minds.;)

WE'VE MOSTLY USED OUR ELECTRIC FOR OUR FAN OR HEATER AND DECORATIVE LIGHTS AROUND THE SITE.
THE WATER, WE USE TO WASH OUR CAR..HAHA..ALWAYS GOT TO BE CLEAN WHEN ON VACATION.;)

BUT, an A/C unit for a tent might change our minds.
We have an old Hillary cabin tent. I use an old 5,000 BTU 110V window A/C that was rigged up to put in the window of a hard top boat I had. I have seen many people that have rigged up A/Cs for tents. Ours would not do much in the day time but at night it worked great. By morning we were fighting for the cover and turning the fan off inside the tent. I sat the A/C on a two wheel dolly that would lay down and covert to 4 wheels. I would just roll it up to the doorway of the tent and use the 2 zippers on the tent door and zip around the front of the A/C. It was kind of a pain but worth every effort to sleep in comfort. A lot of the modern dome tents have little spaces to store things on either end and even have small doors for outside access of stored items these little doors are perfect for zipping around an A/C. They are low to the ground and out of the way and do not block the main doorway. Like you said its tuff to camp in Florida from May until early October without A/C at least at night for sleeping.

We are so far behind the times! We have a new tent with multiple doors/windows. Now how am I going to convince DH that we need a new air conditioner?

Add to list of gear -
hose
screen tent
lots of small electronic appliances (buy new Mickey waffle maker?)
BIG extension cord
air conditioner OR
electric blanket for winter camping

Thanks everyone :) keep the suggestions coming!

We used to tent camp before we got our trailer. We have a tent with 2 seperate sleeping areas and a screen room in the middle. We had a small dorm size fridge that we would bring with us. We put this inside the screen part. It sure beats dealing with a cooler.

I've never thought about an air-conditioner for a tent but sounds pretty "COOL!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter