Teppanyaki a Good Choice for Dining Plan?

MissMagnolia

DIS Veteran
I LOVE the Benihana style restaurants. My DH doesn't like Asian cooking whatsoever - won't eat rice even if he was starving. I think my 3 year-old and 6 year-old will get a kick out of it. I've made ADR here during the free dining plan but now am questioning my choice. Is this a good choice? Is the lobster an option (might be a hook for my DH to enjoy the food...)?

My only other thought would be to save the TS and have a character breakfast at Cape May at the BC (where we are staying).

From what I have heard Teppanyaki is one of the most restrictive places on the DDP and I'm pretty sure you can't get the Lobster.

With so many other choices .... maybe choose something your whole family will enjoy!

WDWO

There is so much more on the menu there than the lobster. I have heard that the appetiser is restricted to a salad but I do not have first hand experience.

I wish I could encourage you to go but If your husband won't eat there I can't help. My parents are going with us and won't eat there either so we are skipping it this year.

I wish I could offer more, but I think we are in the same boat

I'd definitely steer clear of Japan while on the Dining Plan. Why not consider Biergarten instead? It's great food (that perhaps your DH will enjoy), and who doesn't love an Oom-Pah Band???

At Teppanyaki, the salad no longer comes with the meal, they give you seaweed instead. Not so good. The salad, for me, is best salad I've ever had. Isn't there filet migon there for $30. It seems to me that it is a good deal for the dining plan. I read they only give ice cream for dessert but I don't really like dessert so thats not considered in me picking a restaurant though. jackie

:confused3 Now I'm starting to worry. Maybe I should change my Adr to another Epcot TS? If any one knows what is included please let us know. Thanks

On other threads, I've seen Teppenyaki recommended as a choice for the dining plan. Due to the nature of Japanese food, there are some exclusions, but I didn't see any I couldn't live with. We're going there on our upcoming trip, and I expect to eat very well indeed.

Having said that, I would certainly advise OP to rethink the concept. If your DH really doesn't like Japanese food, you could take him there for a McDonald's Cheesburger and he'd hate it. Unless he wants to go to some other restaurant while you go to Teppenyaki with the kids, I'd make another choice.

The kids meal at Tepanyaki is $11.95 and doesn't include the drink so that is a pretty decent price exchange if you have anyone under 10.

Other than that can't offer any advice as I have not used DDP there. I would say though that I don't really care for "Japanese" food either, but really liked this restaurant.

We used the ddp at Teppanyaki last week so I can share that experience (sorry, can't help with the dh situation!) We were me, dh, dd10 and ds7 and our bill came to $145, a good value on the ddp considering that we were paying $125 per day. Appetizers were a choice of the salad with I think a ginger dressing (dd got this but ordered it without the dressing), a miso soup, seaweed salad or edamame. A small serving of seaweed salad is included free of charge (we all really liked it except ds). Sushi can be ordered a la carte (we did get one combo roll to share, as my dh loves sushi). Dessert was a choice of several kinds of ice cream, fresh fruit (I got this and it was pineapple) or ginger cake. I don't recall seeing lobster on the menu, and our waitress didn't note any exclusions so maybe they just took it off. Kids had a choice of a $12 chicken or shrimp meal, which was served with rice and the same veggie/noodle combo the adults got and included dessert, or a simpler (and less expensive) chicken meal that came with rice and the typical kids mixed veggies (cubed carrots, peas, corn, etc.) that may not have come with dessert.

Our kids loved it, but they have been to a Benihana before. The meats are very simply prepared and the rice is plain, so I think its a good way to go for kids. I think it can be a good value on the dining plan, unless your dh doesn't eat.

Thanks everyone. When I was making ADRs my DH said that I could pick what I wanted. When I mentioned wanting to go to Teppanyaki (which I have wanted to do the last 5 times at WDW) he said he'd go this time (free dining may have something to do with it). I think I better take advantage of his willingness ;) this time around - because it may not happen again!

As long as he can get a steak/shrimp/chicken cooked plain and get a plain salad, he should be okay. I know he'll enjoy the "experience" of it. I made an ADR for Le Cellier for dinner that same night, so I am sure he'll be okay with the food for the day overall! :cool1:

I keep toying with the idea of going somewhere else but I think I'll regret not eating there if I do. We don't have any Japanese restaurants where we live so this may be my chance. Plus my son and daughter love Asian cooking and could live on rice. My DH may just have to go one for the family this time around! :grouphug:

I think the max is eight adults... whether you could fit six adults and four children I'm not sure. They do have tables "together" but the tables don't move together, of course (they're plumbs for natural gas, eh?), and if you're split between two tables the two halves of your party won't be "served" dinner at the same time.

I was very disappointed when we went to the hibachi restaurant in Japan last September. I was expecting the food to be like the hibachi from home (Benihana), but it wasn't. The rice wasn't cooked on the grill w/all of the seasonings & the steak/chicken wasn't flavored w/the usual stuff I'm used to & the cook said that they can't do that because it'll just take longer to clean up the grill & w/Disney, everything needs to be quick, quick, quick. He apologized for not being able to take my rice & throw it on the grill to heat it/season it but he got in trouble once before for doing that.

bicker said:
I think the max is eight adults... whether you could fit six adults and four children I'm not sure. They do have tables "together" but the tables don't move together, of course (they're plumbs for natural gas, eh?), and if you're split between two tables the two halves of your party won't be "served" dinner at the same time.

Thank you.

barb007 said:
I was very disappointed when we went to the hibachi restaurant in Japan last September. I was expecting the food to be like the hibachi from home (Benihana), but it wasn't. The rice wasn't cooked on the grill w/all of the seasonings & the steak/chicken wasn't flavored w/the usual stuff I'm used to & the cook said that they can't do that because it'll just take longer to clean up the grill & w/Disney, everything needs to be quick, quick, quick. He apologized for not being able to take my rice & throw it on the grill to heat it/season it but he got in trouble once before for doing that.

So what is it like?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter