Thank the stars we're *not* flying Air Canada

MikeJ

Retrait is finally here...
Given that we leave in 9 days, and after seeing the state of the Air Canada counter at Pearson on the news last night, I am delighted that we are flying out of Flint, MI, rather than AC out of YYZ. I have no idea what's going on with that airline, but I'm fortunate to live in a part of the country where I have other options. I hope those of you who are using Air Canada over the next few weeks don't have many problems.

My sister lives in Yellowknife, and unfortunately for them they have very few alternatives, unless they want to drive to Edmonton.

- Mike

I'll be flying Air Canada when I go to WDW next month.:( I sure hope things will be better then. I'm planning to go to Pearson at least 3.5 hours before the departure time.:(

I saw that on the news last night too, Mike! I'm so glad that I'm trying SWA out of Buffalo for my October trip! If AC wants people to fly with them I can't understand why they are leaving themselves so short handed that they can't handle the customers. *Pixie Dust* to all those flying AC that they get this straightened out quickly!

Sorry to ask, but I get my Macleans a fews weeks after it comes out - what happening at AC?
Thxs!

To sum it all up: they're under bankruptcy protection...cutting back & restructuring to stay afloat. ;) They've laid off a lot of front-line workers (eg. ticket agents) causing MAJOR backups at airports....people missing flights, etc....not fun. :( Here's a link to the AC website & "their version" of what's going on: Air Canada

That's your Canadian Update for the day. ;) :)

Thanks DisneyLisa!
I knew about bankruptcy, etc. Just wondered if something drastic changed with the recent news reports.
That's really sad about AC - I used to fly them all the time - I remember the days when you had to line up for more than an hour in the morning to get through the US checkin with all desks opened - just because there were so many people flying.
Anyway - thanks for the Canadian update!
:D

Hey :)

I am flying with them in 3 days and will let you know how it goes as I am bringing my lap top along to keep intouch with my office and post trip reports *LIVE*

>>^..^<<

Hey, Cass, We're doing the same thing - but also to download pics from the digital camera so's we don't fill up the flash cards. :) I've got my NetZero account set up and have all the Orlando access numbers ready to go.

Maybe we can do an online chat from opposite ends of the AKL Concierge room. :p

- Mike

My daughter (18, who has yet to board an airplane) and I are flying AC on Friday. I am so nervous about AC and what we will experience at the airport. Also, I'm nervous about going through security. Just typing this is making my hands shake. The last time I flew was June 2000. I'm incredibly busy at work and I haven't packed yet. My mind is continually racing with everything I need to do between now and Friday morning. I called my travel agent yesterday and she said I should try to be at the airport 4 hours in advance instead of 3. That puts us there at 6 am. Wish us luck and pixie dust.

If you are flying domestic it is not so bad.

Transborder is is more complex.. (last summer) when I arrived at the terminal.. the line up was MILES long to get to the check in counter.... you just line up with all the other cattle. Moooo

Then as you get closer - airport agents will give you US Customs forms to complete - have a pen handy -

When you finally get to the check in counter - they give you your bording passes and you follow the line of cattle to security...

Keep in mind you STILL have your luggage at this point.. dragging it along (in the old days the check in agents would weigh it and put it on the belt) and set you free :)

Now you have to lug it along... eventually you put it on the belt yourself, I seem to recall having it with me for a long time - :mad:

You then have all your carry ons xrayed and you have to present and turn on all electronic devices, cell phone, cd players, dvd players, lap tops... they will scan you with the wand and if you beep you will have to take the change or keys our of your pockets etc...

Once this is all done there is also US Customs... you present your passports/BC to the agent and they might ask where you are going etc...

Once you get passed these guys... thats where I think you can finally ditch your luggage and head for the departure lounge -

I arrived at the airport 3 hours prior to my flight time and by the time I got to the departure lounge - my flight was half boarded... in fact I just got inline and was on the plane.. we left 20 minutes later...

Needless to say it took an incredibly long time to get to the actual plane.. - no wonder people are missing flights -

Check in as early as you can - I am flying on Saturday and will be there 3 1/2 hours ahead...

It is definately not fun :( On the bright side, coming home from orland was a breeze.. they are so civilized there :) also the airport is lovely, lots of skylights & shops, places to eat or have a coffee...

Good Luck

>>^..^<<

so, when I get to terminal 2 at the airport i'll be looking for Air Canada Departures, United States, Florida? or am I in a long line for all U.S. departures?

Look for the Transborder/US departures signs.

It's a large section midway down.... it might not be so bad on a Friday... but expect crowds and slow moving lines..

>>^..^<<

Thanks. I wish I'd had time to do a field trip to the airport to aquaint myself before my husband leaves us (on his way to work) on the sidewalk in front of terminal 2 at 6 am Friday.

I just flew in from Orlando to Pearson last night. We were delayed on the runway back to the gate because of a storm for a half hour and then the ground crew was late in getting us to the gate. We were sitting on the ground for an hour before we got to the gate. Then when we went to get our luggage we waited another half hour for it to come off the plane. Our plane landed just past 4:45 and we didn't get out of the airport until just before 7:00. The lady beside me missed her connecting flight because of this gate nonsense. The weather I understand but the ground crew took their sweet time. The pilot was getting very frustrated. They kept telling him one thing and then another.

Originally posted by MaryannF
so, when I get to terminal 2 at the airport i'll be looking for Air Canada Departures, United States, Florida? or am I in a long line for all U.S. departures?

If your flight is booked on your Aeroplan (or, I think, credit card), you can go to the express check-in kiosks past the big line-up. You may still have to line up a bit to get luggage tags, etc, but it 's faster than the main line up.

Ciao,
Mort.

Booked through Sears Travel. The agent told me to get in line with everyone else.

Everyone cross their fingers for MaryannF who is supposed to be flying this morning after the great BLACKOUT of 2003.

I wouldn't mind some crossed fingers for my flight tomorrow either.

BTW Mort was correct.. if you are an aeroplan member you can get your boarding pass at the self serve kiosks and head for security - by passing the check in counter.

Good Luck to everyone flying in the next few days. :)

>>^..^<<

heard they just cancelled all AC & Tango flights until at least 10:00am this morning and they don't even know after that. They've told us to expect rotating blackouts all weekend, so who knows what to expect.

Good luck MaryannF, Mike J and to you too Cass...I sure hope your flights get out on time. What timing. ;) If we don't hear from you we'll assume "no news is good news". :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter