Thank you to whoever said "Please take pre diabetes seriously."

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
Last summer there was a post from someone who'd been Pre Diabetic for a few years, then had just been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. That person was begging others who had a diagnosis of pre diabetes to take it seriously and do something now. It affected me, so I searched on-line for medical help. I Found that the only diabetes prevention class within 100 miles happened to be about a mile from my house. What good fortune! And my insurance paid for it. It's 10 months long, and as I approach the end, I'm 22 pounds thinner, have changed what and how much I eat, learning new habits around food, moving more, and feeling better. Oh-and my labs are much better. So thank you, thank you. When I first learned that the program was 10 months, not 10 sessions, I was initially disappointed. But as our instructor said, new habits take months, not weeks, to develop. I hope I can influence one person as someone here did.

Congratulations on your initiative and discipline!

I watched my mother-in-law ignore her diabetes until it was too late. Always lots of store bought junk sweets in the house. No exercise. Assisted living, stroke, nursing home, death.

Now I'm watching my husband follow her path. He takes hundreds of dollars of meds each month and thinks they give him license to eat all the garbage he wants. Four to five hours a day sitting at his computer, four or five hours sitting in front of TV. I've given up reminding him of the grandkids who will miss him.

I am so happy you took this seriously and that the education was available to you. In my experience, there is not enough good information being given to patients by their doctors. Most of my doctors through the years have pretty much just thrown medications at me and checked my A1c without providing any help. There is so much misunderstanding about what you need to do (or not do). For example, my mother thought that as long as she avoided sugar, she was fine. She would have a big bowl of spaghetti or eat her body weight in watermelon but as long as she wasn't eating desert, it was OK to her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter