Thanks DVC borrowed points restored

keishashadow

Proud Redhead...yes, I have some bananas!
Cancelled my August WLV stay. Will rebook thru CRO somewhere jik things are running safely by then

Oct UY, had to bank my points by end of the month Just too stressful for me to have the worry of list points looming

Most of the points were borrowed from 2020 UY. MS restored them. Starting to think that the current policy may not continue to be quite so liberal as things play out

Also, was able receive a ‘one time accommodation’ the full refund on MNSSHP 1st night.

Sad, but still rooting for the trip and the other two we have planned to go forward but do have a July banking date on those points ugh

There was a long wait for Member Services on the phone today so I cancelled my July trip today via the member's chat feature :sad: I was told it would take 15 days before my borrowed points would be returned to my 2020 use year :scratchin Were your borrowed points returned right away, keishashadow :confused:

There was a long wait for Member Services on the phone today so I cancelled my July trip today via the member's chat feature :sad: I was told it would take 15 days before my borrowed points would be returned to my 2020 use year :scratchin Were your borrowed points returned right away, keishashadow :confused:
Mine weren’t. Still waiting 10 days later after requesting they be returned via chat & email.

@keishashadow Did you have to call a different dept to get a refund on your halloween party tickets or were you able to do that through MS? I'm currently sitting on 3 tickets for the 8/18 party and still debating whether we will go. We have a DEC UY so still have some time to decide.

CM asked me if I wanted to use the points ‘right away’. I replied ‘no’.

In that case was informed they would be ‘pushed in the bucket’ by next Thursday. ??? Upon questioning, told they are now trying to group the refunds of points.

However, checked my account a few hours later & already saw the points sitting in my account (2 different subcontracts at different resorts).

Mine weren’t. Still waiting 10 days later after requesting they be returned via chat & email.
Thanks for the info, Madame :D So you used chat too and not a phone call to Member Services to cancel :scratchin I wonder if that makes a difference 🤷‍♀️ Did they give you a time frame? My cast member said 15 days.

@keishashadow Did you have to call a different dept to get a refund on your halloween party tickets or were you able to do that through MS? I'm currently sitting on 3 tickets for the 8/18 party and still debating whether we will go. We have a DEC UY so still have some time to decide.

Even though I ordered them thru MS went thru WDW via the confirmation number to cancel before calling to cancel the trip. Was told to expect refund in five to seven business days

Attended the first night of MNSSHP in August two years ago. It sold out & again in 2019. That said, I don’t really expect there will quite the crush of people (even bloggers) who will flood the first event this year.

Thanks for the info, Madame :D So you used chat too and not a phone call to Member Services to cancel :scratchin I wonder if that makes a difference 🤷‍♀️ Did they give you a time frame? My cast member said 15 days.
I called to cancel a second reservation which added more points that need to be reallocated. So call, email, chat - nothing returned to YU.

Thank you all for mentioning that MS was willing to UNborrow points when we cancel reservations. We had an October trip planned and needed to cancel due to Covid. I had borrowed a lot of points from our 2021 use year so I needed them to put them back in order to cancel. They have agreed to do so. They said today that the next batch of unborrows will be done on Tuesday. I gave up 7 nights at BWV, boardwalk view in 1 bedroom and 7 days in a 2 bedroom at BCV. I hope whoever gets those nights has a great trip!!!!

Yes thanks to you all for sharing information! It helps to hear of actual peoples' experiences with having to cancel and restoring points. We just cancelled our end of July/beginning of august trip to our beloved Boulder ridge (WL!) :sad:. We lost 45 sept 2019 use year points but are told 99 borrowed 2020 points will be returned to their prior state. It was painful since this trip was planned for a year and I spent untold hours slowly gathering the days we needed from waitlists and such ( home resort bc). But living in Connecticut and concerns about the uncertainty of safety, being able to travel, and resort amenities even if resorts open , we felt we needed to cancel now while DVC is supposably restoring borrowed points. Hopefully we can then bank those points into 2021 when we plan to take a trip with dd and her friend partially to celebrate my and my husband's retirement that year.

Here is my experience with my July 2-10th trip that I just cancelled on May 10th:

319 points used for reservation
December Use Year

100, 2018 points not returned-I need to use them by November 30, 2020. I was able to find a use for some, but not all, of them in October for a trip I was already planning and have POFQ reserved. IF we go, we'll now do a split stay at CCV/POFQ, and I'm still losing 10 points.

14 OTU points-not returned and not refunded, even though I called a second time to ask about getting a refund-I was told that because I was the one who cancelled and the trip wasn't technically one of the trips in the cancellation period, I was out of luck.

Remaining points were returned to 2019 use year, but I was told by the CM that they would be released on June 5th...apparently that is a magical day for some reason-but I explained that I needed them to be released so I could make my April reservation. After 30 minutes on hold, the CM was able to have a supervisor move those points back into the correct use year and I was able to make my April reservation without further issue. I'm glad I did this all the day before I actually needed the points because it took forever on the phone and I would have been worried about losing my 11-month jump on the room I wanted.

The whole thing was stressful and frustrating, and I was actually really upset about potentially losing the 2018 points. If we go in October, of course, at least I'll be saving three nights on a resort stay, so there's that.

Best of luck, everyone!

Remaining points were returned to 2019 use year, but I was told by the CM that they would be released on June 5th...apparently that is a magical day for some reason-but I explained that I needed them to be released so I could make my April reservation. After 30 minutes on hold, the CM was able to have a supervisor move those points back into the correct use year and I was able to make my April reservation without further issue. I'm glad I did this all the day before I actually needed the points because it took forever on the phone and I would have been worried about losing my 11-month jump on the room I wanted.

Wonder why the 2019 points weren't immediately / automatically returned when the reservation was cancelled? With a December use year, the 2019 points are current use year points and are bankable until July 31, 2020. DVCMC must have altered the cancellation system somehow (temporarily, I hope).

I understand why the June 5 date is relevant for the exceptions being made for April & June use years, but I do not understand why cancellations involving current use year points don't work as they always have. It's disturbing.

Here is my experience with my July 2-10th trip that I just cancelled on May 10th:

319 points used for reservation
December Use Year

100, 2018 points not returned-I need to use them by November 30, 2020. I was able to find a use for some, but not all, of them in October for a trip I was already planning and have POFQ reserved. IF we go, we'll now do a split stay at CCV/POFQ, and I'm still losing 10 points.

14 OTU points-not returned and not refunded, even though I called a second time to ask about getting a refund-I was told that because I was the one who cancelled and the trip wasn't technically one of the trips in the cancellation period, I was out of luck.

The whole thing was stressful and frustrating, and I was actually really upset about potentially losing the 2018 points. If we go in October, of course, at least I'll be saving three nights on a resort stay, so there's that.

Best of luck, everyone!

Were the points returned that needed to be moved borrowed points from the 2020 UY? With a Dec UY, if they were 2019 UY points you’d still be in the banking window?

What it sounds like, though, is that reservations beyond May that are being canceled by owners are not getting the automatic responses of restoration that they once were,

If you are not being refunded OTU points for July, I wonder if there is an internal policy now to be more restrictive of policy,

Wonder why the 2019 points weren't immediately / automatically returned when the reservation was cancelled? With a December use year, the 2019 points are current use year points and are bankable until July 31, 2020. DVCMC must have altered the cancellation system somehow (temporarily, I hope).
Were the points returned that needed to be moved borrowed points from the 2020 UY? With a Dec UY, if they were 2019 UY points you’d still be in the banking window?

I wondered that too because they absolutely should have been immediately available for me to bank, with the exception of the 114 that I can't bank. I had actually done the cancellation online myself and then was super confused by the way my points were given back. That's why I called and I am so glad I did. Otherwise I would have been out of luck the next day when I went to make my April reservation.

Also, those OTU points don't even show as my points to use, even though I paid for them...is that normal? So if I needed to use them, the CMs can see them on their end. So I guess I really have 24 to use by November 30, but only 10 show up in my account.

Also, those OTU points don't even show as my points to use, even though I paid for them...is that normal? So if I needed to use them, the CMs can see them on their end. So I guess I really have 24 to use by November 30, but only 10 show up in my account.
Yes, that's normal. We always have to call to use OTU points. They never show online.

I wondered that too because they absolutely should have been immediately available for me to bank, with the exception of the 114 that I can't bank. I had actually done the cancellation online myself and then was super confused by the way my points were given back. That's why I called and I am so glad I did. Otherwise I would have been out of luck the next day when I went to make my April reservation.

So weird your 2019 points didn’t go back. I am glad you called and got it fixed,

Your OTU points will still be there but only bookable using MS.

We had the exact same experience. I called several times prior to cancelling to run through several "what-if" scenarios and each time they said we'd get a refund on the OTU points. So yesterday we bit the bullet and cancelled our July trip. We have 27 banked 2018 points that we HAVE to use to by the end of September (we were aware of that...looks like we're going to dump to RCI). Everything else was put back where it came from, but we turned around and booked at our home resort for March 2021.

Except now we have 14 OTU points ($266!) that we also have to use by the end of September. We've talked about doing a mid-week trip to Vero (just me and the hubs), but that's in the middle of both of our busy seasons for work. I was so mad because I confirmed before we cancelled and then was told something completely different when we actually cancelled! We couldn't wait for Disney to cancel, because we had to bank other points by the end of the month.

So now we have 42 points to use by the end of September!

Last edited by a moderator:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter